Obama responds to petitions against gun violence
December 21st, 2012
1 year ago

Obama responds to petitions against gun violence

(CNN) – President Barack Obama responded personally Friday to numerous petitions against gun violence, a task normally left to other White House staff.

"I want to take a minute today to respond and let you know, we hear you," he said in a web video.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The video came in response to 32 "We the People" petitions on gun control, many of them created after the Newtown, Connecticut school shooting. One of the petitions, found on the White House's website, amassed nearly 200,000 signatures.

Since last week's massacre, in which a gunman killed 27 people before taking his own life, Obama has announced a new effort to find proposals that could potentially lead to legislation against gun violence. He appointed Vice President Joe Biden as the leader of the new commission.

In his video address Friday, Obama reiterated that he believes the Second Amendment guarantees a right to bear arms and acknowledged the country's "strong tradition of gun ownership that's been handed down from generation to generation."

However, Obama said "the vast majority of responsible, law-abiding gun owners would be some of the first to say that we should be able to keep an irresponsible, law-breaking few from buying a weapon of war."

"I'm willing to bet that they don't think that using a gun and using common sense are incompatible ideas," he continued. "That an unbalanced man shouldn't be able to get his hands on a military-style assault rifle so easily."

The video was released hours before the National Rifle Association held a press conference, where the pro-gun rights group called for an armed guard to be placed in every school.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun rights • President Obama
  1. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@Rick McDaniel
    As usual........he has NO CLUE!

We need to hear about solutions for the mentally ill, not for gun control. Every time people talk gun control, gun SALES go through the roof. Get a clue, Obama. Address the REAL problem.

December 21, 2012 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
    ********************************************************************************************************************************************

As usual, you regurgitate some inane GOP talking point your heard on FOX NOISE. Have some respect for the POTUS even if you disagree with him.

December 21, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  2. kev

I would like our President to explain EXACTLY how his 'new' law(s) would have prevented the Sandy Hook shooting.
    He can't , all he can do is give us this Dog & Pony show to make Libs FEEL better.

December 21, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. yolanda

@LetsBe Civil.......either change your tag, or change your tone. The two don't work with your present attitude and tone.

December 21, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. it must be said

Well, looks like Obama has found yet another way to divide us and paint innocent law abiding citizens of this country in a negative fashion. Let the attacks and demonization begin by the left and their water boys, the Lame Street Media.

Wake up America. The left is destroyin gthis country by pitting us all against each other in their various segments. We are not a melting pot of one people anymore. They have created divisions and segments that are used to gain their ends. The ultimate divide and conquer strategy to destroy this country. Wake up America.

December 21, 2012 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  5. theabilitytolove

I think it's very tragic that while we are mourning and grieving the loss of life, especially of children, that while our backs are turned, the President was willing to throw the most vulnerable under the bus to get a budget deal. I wonder if much of this is meant to distract us. Why won't he "hear us" on no cuts to social security, or take the time to give us a word about it? We can't let our grief, allow this President to create more tragedy for those most vulnerable.

December 21, 2012 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  6. Scott

200,000 signatures in a country of millons? Does'nt seem like many.

December 21, 2012 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

@Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Absolutely. Especially considering Dave thinks I might be suffering a bad case of postpartum ... it just might work.

December 21, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  8. ru serious

We all know that nothing is going to change, the gun nuts will prevail as usual. The rest of us don't matter anymore, just the interest groups. To all you nutters out there, keep your damn weapons out of the hands of your whacked out kids. Fine with me if they blow you to Kingdom come but not okay to slaughter 6 yrs olds. Bet the mother of that freak was a card carrying member of the NRA, blood on all your hands.

December 21, 2012 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  9. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

Do I need a psychological exam to become a board member of the NRA???

December 21, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. Shawn in MD

Matthew

The Gun Free School Zone law was passed in 1990. Before that there were three school shootings. The three spanned 72 years. After the law was passed, we have had between 1 and 6 shootings a year. The gun control LAW is what is getting these kids killed, and it's time we started working to get it repealed.
    ===================================================================
    Great inference! On the same lines, before 1990 I used to eat oranges. There were only 2 accidents on my street per decade. After 1990 there have been 67 accidents on my street. I also switched to apples from oranges in 1990. Apparently as per you its not crazy drivers, but it is the apple that is causing these accidents. BAN the APPLES!!!

December 21, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  11. Rudy NYC

Enough BS wrote:

I like the musket analogy re the 2nd amendment. ROFLMAO I hear the Syrian rebels are calling for muzzle loading muskets right now!! And ask Mr Assad how those rifle toting rebels are faring against his tanks and planes. If their is to be change to the 2nd Amendment it should be '...right to bear personal longarms/sidearms commensu"rate with the standing armies of the day... " THe gun-grabbers forgot to read the ...."shall not be infringed" part , i guess because they are "unhinged".
    --------------------------–
    Sounds like this person would enjoy living in present day Syria. No, thanks. I do not want to see that happen to our country, an armed uprising. Besides, the 2nd Amendment calls for a "well regulated militia", not one that decides its' own rules.

December 21, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

"Apparently as per you its not crazy drivers, but it is the apple that is causing these accidents."

You know, as kids, my brothers and I used to play cops and robbers. We'd point our finger and shout bang. Never did kill anyone with our finger. Holding a gun, though? Probably would have had a different outcome. Think about that when you tell America's children it's not the gun that kills.

December 21, 2012 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  13. HoustonOilMan

If everyone is so worried about protecting ourselves from the government you have a much more powerful weapon than a gun. It's called voting.

December 21, 2012 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  14. Eli

It blows my mind how many people think that Pres. Obama and Democrats divide people. The only people that would think that watches Fox News 24/7. I dont believe anyone needs to have a semi automatic weapon unless you are in a war zone. You do know that no one is coming to take away your great grandfathers shotgun.

December 21, 2012 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  15. Sevensins

Obama's inexperience and lack of leadership is extremely disappointing. I wish he had a spine instead of his arrogant posturing. Oh yea and his endless campaigning. Always selling something that simply does not exist.

December 21, 2012 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  16. Phil

Gun in school
    I served in the military USMC and I don't know what I would do if I'm face with an arm person shooting in a school or any where else I know what I think I would do . But in the middle of all that shuting no one can know what they would do. Or even live with the taking of another life being right or wrong. An teacher aren't Killers They are tought to love not Kill. So don't put them in that position.
    And you could be adding another gun to seen if you freeze in the process.

December 21, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  17. EddieG

Dear Mr. President, please stop talking to us and talk to the congress instead, I don't want to hear what you have to say unless it is an announcement that you actually solved a problem in a meaningful, bipartisan and honest way. I know you want to make the GOP look bad but how does that help me? I'm out of work,for the first time in 32 years, and plese I don't need your food stamps or extended unemployment... I need a JOB!!!!. Divide and conquer worked for you in the election but that is not a way to run a business or even more so a Country!!!

December 21, 2012 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  18. Eddie G

December 21, 2012 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  19. Bill

Evidently when it comes to reducing spending they don't here us.

December 21, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  20. Lynda/Minnesota

"The left is destroyin gthis country by pitting us all against each other in their various segments"

Quite the contrary. It's not the left that is advocating we take up arms to protect ourselves from one another ... it's the right. Including armed guards at every venue. Kinda defeats the whole 2nd Amendment argument of protection from living under a government seige. Who else but the government is going to fund armed guards?

December 21, 2012 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

I recall an incident years ago where there was a house fire and the home owner's big ammo arsenal caught fire. This went way beyond fireworks catching fire. Shrapnel was going every which way. The fire department cleared out, stood back, and let the house burn itself to the ground while the home owner yelled for them to put the fire out. He was later arrested for reckless endangerment.

December 21, 2012 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  22. FUBAR

Why even pay attention to this fool? If half of the country wasn't on the take, this clueless nut job would be back organizing communities.

December 21, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  23. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

@ Eddie

Need a job? Well, since you voted for Romnesia, why don't you move to China where he has shipped your job?

December 21, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  24. Ashamed

What does it say about our country when we say we need guns to feel safe in our own homes and schools? We are supposed to be one of the most civilized country in the world but I am honestly ashamed at where we've come. We would never need to even think about whether we need a gun when we visit other developed nations. Should we then tell visitors you should bring a gun to our country if you want to be safe. True freedom is not needing a gun to feel safe in my own country.

December 21, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

Eddie G. wrote:

.... I need a JOB!!!!. Divide and conquer worked for you in the election but that is not a way to run a business or even more so a Country!!!
    ------------------
    I agree. The right wing attempt to divide and conquer was EXACTLY what turned the American People away from Romney. Divide and conquer worked out well for Pres. Obama.

December 21, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |