Idaho senator accused of DUI in Virginia
December 23rd, 2012
1 year ago

Idaho senator accused of DUI in Virginia

(CNN) - U.S. Sen. Michael Crapo, R-Idaho, was arrested early Sunday morning in Alexandria, Virginia, and charged with driving under the influence, according to the town's police department.

Jody Donaldson, an Alexandria police spokesman, said Crapo was arrested by an officer at 12:45 a.m. ET after the officer noticed Crapo's vehicle running a red light.

"Sen. Crapo was identified as the driver and arrested after failing several field sobriety tests," Donaldson said in a statement. "He was taken into custody without incident and transported to the Alexandria Adult Detention Center where he was released on a $1,000 unsecured bond."

Crapo released a statement through his office Sunday, saying: "I am deeply sorry for the actions that resulted in this circumstance. I made a mistake for which I apologize to my family, my Idaho constituents and any others who have put their trust in me.

"I accept total responsibility and will deal with whatever penalty comes my way in this matter. I will also undertake measures to ensure that this circumstance is never repeated. "

A court date was set for January 4, according to Donaldson, who added that Crapo's blood alcohol level was .110 at the time of his arrest. The legal blood alcohol level for drivers in Virginia is .08. Donaldson also said Crapo was alone in the car at the time.

Crapo has represented Idaho in the Senate since 1999. Before that he served in the U.S. House of Representatives for six years. He was re-elected in 2010 with 71% of the vote. He's a member of the Senate's "Gang of 8."

According to his official biography on congress.gov, Crapo is also a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which prohibits the use of alcohol among its members.

Filed under: Congress
  1. Eddy

Great job CRAPo! Great role model.

December 23, 2012 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  2. ade

This story is not on Fox news yet. If this had happened to Senator Charles Schummer , I bet it will be their breaking news.

December 23, 2012 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  3. Winning

Big surprise here. Republicans are a menace.

December 23, 2012 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  4. Bill in AZ

Do as I say, not as I do.

December 23, 2012 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  5. w5cdt

Well I guess his job is in the Crapo.

December 23, 2012 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  6. w5cdt

Given the state of the GOP I don't blame him.

December 23, 2012 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  7. ST

With such a behaviour, can any one think such type of lawmakers can make laws and make sure they are enforced? Time to clear the house. It is full of stinking people.

December 23, 2012 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  8. Coffee

Talk the talk, walk the walk.

December 23, 2012 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  9. Bigger Thomas

He should at least do the following: 1. Go to therapy for alcohol abuse 2. Suffer discipline from the Senate not to mention from his church assuming that he is in a leadership role there as well 3. Resign his position/seat in the Senate. Al of these steps minimally as he clearly does not possess the judgement for the position that the people have entrusted him with in one of the most powerful positions in the world let alone the US.

If not...what message is he sending? And a supposed man of God at that endangering the lives of the good people of Virginia. Disgraceful and a very serious deliberate act. Drunk driving is not a small or benign thing at all. In my opinion tantamount to attempted murder or at least battery with a deadly weapon as people die from drunks running red lights every day in America. I had a friend die from a drunk driver that ran a red light 8 years ago at the age of 23.

Also, what is it with Senators from Utah?

December 23, 2012 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  10. Bigger Thomas

What are the odds that a US Senator was out drinking by himself? To fail a DUI test means a blood alcohol level beyond what is reasonable for a casual or social drinker. This means that someone else let a US Senator drive very drunk. What was he doing and who was he doing it with and where were they doing it? Shameful. Would you fire an employee of yours that you were paying over $174k/yr that was in a role that demanded propriety, great judgment, serious discretion, and leadership that (publicly) failed to meet any of those requirements? You and for sure any corporation would fire them the next day.

December 23, 2012 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  11. Bigger Thomas

Sorry Utah...I meant Idaho

December 23, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  12. Sirned

So he lied to his constituents that he doesn't drink and then breaks the law driving drunk. Wow, he's a Senator of a party that yells daily about family values and responsibility. Republicans your leaders are just so hypocritical and full of it...Wake up ! They expect you to work for peanuts, no healthcare, then blame you if you can't make it while they live a greedy, immoral life more fitting of a corrupt dictator. I'm so sick of Republicans. I really am....Watch him go on Fox and repent to God....After all Vitter is still in Congress...That should tell ya all you need to know about the party of nonsense....

December 23, 2012 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. jane

Probably another one of those lovely 'family values' Republicans. It's okay, he'll hold a press conference, tell us Jesus forgives him, and run for re-election.

December 23, 2012 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  14. Are you kidding me?

The man is only human so I hope he learns a lesson from this. No one is perfect. Maybe he see this and help break the obstructionist tide within the GOP.

December 23, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  15. Larry L

One can only imagine how many times the name "Crapo" has been used in jokes. Sadly, I've got nothing even remotely new. How sad... A drunk Mormon named Crapo and I've got nothing... I need to drink less wine before attempting to post a comment.

December 23, 2012 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  16. plain&simple

Personal tragedy. Running a red light means you're pretty well toasted.....makes you realize these senators and public servants and elected officials are just like the general population. We all have our failings to help humble us ...most of us don't have them exposed under the spotlight. Good luck senator.

December 23, 2012 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  17. BigTBone

I'll sum up every response coming right here.

Group one: Seeee! This is exactly how you all are.

Group two: But what about ___, ___, and ___. They're heroes to you guys.

Not as bad as _____.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Look at 401K. Laugh. Cry. Pour another.

December 23, 2012 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  18. FedUpwithLA

Ya never know. Dis story could just be a lot of crap-o, if ya know wud I mean. Hey, whadda ya think, Sly?

December 23, 2012 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  19. Slightly Left O'Center

"...actions that resulted in this circumstance."
    "...that this circumstance is never repeated."

He says that like he's "a victim of circumstance". He created the circumstance.
    Call it was it is - DRUNK DRIVING. Revoke his license.
    Our supposed law makers are chronic law breakers. Make an example of him.

December 23, 2012 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  20. Squigman

Ah! Conservative to a fault. I'll bet he believes we (the underlings), should be meek milk drinking, go to bed when the clock strikes 8:00, and thump a bible every Sunday. He, on the other hand can tip-toe through the gin blossoms, raise hell and be exempt from punishment when apprehended. Another reason to question republican (values).

December 23, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  21. frida

Not because he was caught driving under influence,they all the same. All the congress officials should be subjected to random drug test at least. Not just vulnerable poor employees. It measures up equality..

December 24, 2012 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  22. BeverlyNC

He should resign. Senators are supposed to be leaders, statesmen, and examples of character, integrity and service to the PEOPLE. It was not a "mistake" for most DUIs are repeat offenders who finally got caught. He has done this before and was finally caught and could not talk his way out of it this time. He should leave the Senate and go get help for his alcohol problems.

December 24, 2012 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  23. Joe

Crapo? Oh my G-d.... Excuse me while I choke back on my Christmas alcoholic eggnog...which I am sure he was imbibing on....which will be the story he will be attempting to feed to the press....RIGHT....

December 24, 2012 02:24 am at 2:24 am |