January 2nd, 2013

Boehner's White House F-bomb

(CNN) - For all the stalemate in the fiscal cliff negotiations, there were some heated moments, too.

A Democratic source familiar with one particular exchange told CNN that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell were sitting on a sofa in the White House.

House Speaker John Boehner breezed in and his first words to Reid were "Go f*** yourself."

Boehner's comment came after Reid took to the Senate floor on Thursday and characterized the House speaker's handling of his chamber as a "dictatorship."

Reid responded to Boehner's confrontational tone by laughing, the Democratic source said, though a GOP source who was there said he didn't think Reid was all that happy.

"The exchange continued, and it didn't get any better for Reid," the GOP source said.

Boehner's office had no comment on the exchange when asked about it Wednesday.

Both men described the moment to members of their caucus.

The exchange happened at the White House on Friday - the day the four Capitol Hill leaders, including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi - met with President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner.

On Wednesday, after news of the comment emerged, Reid said on the Senate floor that "unlike others behind us in this Capitol, I'm not going to stoop to name calling. I just want people to work and do what they need to do." Politico first reported Boehner's comment.

Hours after the meeting on Friday, he described it as "constructive."

"There was not a lot of hilarity in the meeting, everyone knows how important it is," Reid said. "It was a very serious meeting and it took an extended period of time."

– CNN's Dana Bash and Gregory Wallace contributed to this report

Filed under: Harry Reid • John Boehner
  1. Rudy NYC

CavPilot

RINO Bill – It was in the halls of Congress where Boehner said it. It was VP Biden that used the F-word in the White House, it was big "Big F-in Deal".
    -------------
    See. This is why the right wing is so broken. Read the second line in the article. Yup, the remark was made in the White House. BUT, I doubt if this person will ever believe otherwise.

January 2, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. ghostriter

Funny, yes. Cause for alarm, no.

I can only imagine what the GOP says about Obama when there are no cameras around.

January 2, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. Grace

Cheney set the stage years ago with his use of the F word in public. Somehow I thought our elected officials needed to be held to a higher standard, not one mired in the gutter. This group of Republicans is a disgrace to those who served before them.

January 2, 2013 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. John H

I would have said the samething to Reid myself. What's the matter progressive marxists? Can dish it out but can't take it?

January 2, 2013 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  5. mebraav

After referring to Speaker Boehner's handling of the House as a "dictatorship," Senator Reid, in the utmost sincerity and humility, claims he would not "stoop to name calling." These are our leaders. It's like a 4th grade playground for adults.

January 2, 2013 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  6. Larry L

The Speaker needs a drink.... or some rehab.

January 2, 2013 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  7. Josh

I hate that Boehner is my representative, in fact most people that I talk to have very little respect for him. However, he ran un-opposed in the last election. Despite the overall disdain for Mr. Boehner, name recognition alone will get him enough votes to beat any challenger. The Democrats assumed (rightfully so) that it would be a waste of money to oppose him. It also doesn't help that Boehner's district weathered the recession better than most in this part of the country.

January 2, 2013 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  8. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

There's a dictatorship in the House and its creepy like a mouse. Hehe.

January 2, 2013 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

Eric Cantor to the GOP/TP rescue ... yes, CNN?

January 2, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  10. romanlaugh

Civility is dead. You didn't hear this kind of thing happening in Reagan,Bush or Clinton's second terms. That's because they were moderates in one way or the other. Clinton was a fiscal moderate,Reagan was a social moderate and Bush was a little of both. Obama is a full spectrum liberal. Proclaiming the Republicans uncooperative is severly innaccurate. The Republicans would surely compromise if the options they were given were more moderate. However, Obama likes to put his presidency on the end of a sharp stick and poke it in the conservative eye. That behaviour doesn't win over skeptics. The Republicans have "hardened their hearts" as well. It's as if the fate of the country rides with an electorate acting like middle school children arguing during recess! The first side backing down will NOT loose it's soul, contrary to it's leaders. The first side backing down will be the side that gets the respect of the American people and ultimately their vote!

January 2, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  11. WhoKnewIt

Once again Congress has shown the American people who counts and who does not. The politics in all of this has literally made me sick. The rich are protected so they have enough income to donate to their re-election campaigns while many Americans are suffering and continue to suffer. Deep tax relief from those corporations that don't need it (but can still contribute to the re-election coffers). Corporations that "threaten" to take their business overseas if they don't get them. I'll tell you what, eliminate the breaks and let them go overseas then tax the H3LL out of them any way the government can. If there are no current tax laws dealing with their type of business then create them. When they take it in the shorts for a few years they just may be broken enough to bring those jobs back to the US. I am just sick over all of this...remember this at election time folks, that's the only way to get your word heard!

January 2, 2013 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Tony

This is a result of a lack of leadership from Obama...

January 2, 2013 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  13. Jerry Lemieux

The kindest thing I can say about Bohner is that he is just slightly less cretinous than Harry Reid. Reid is one of the least intelligent life forms in the universe.

January 2, 2013 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  14. Wake up People!

Oh Russ in Md...

President Obama IS your POTUS, you may not like it or him, but he is your president too.

January 2, 2013 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  15. proudtobealibtard

As a young Republican acquaintance sarcastically reprimanded me during one of the presidential debates, during which I became a bit too exuberant in my praise of President Obama's stronger performance and used a word I don't typically use, "Well, I guess that's how adults resolve problems," by resorting to 4 letter words, tsk, tsk....... I was frothing at the mouth like a rabid dog, he accused. Wonder what he would have to say to his fellow Republican Boehner about his use of foul language to solve problems?? I suspect he wouldn't see the irony and probably would not find a problem with Boehner's maturity level. And I'm equally sure he wouldn't accuse the Speaker of frothing at the mouth, which in this instance would be a fair and appropriate judgment.

January 2, 2013 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  16. amac

I have to admit that Reid was wrong here. After all, how can Boehner be the "dictator" of his own chamber when Boehner can't even get his own chamber to support him?

January 2, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. Jerry Lemieux

Obama and his followers will not negotiate with Republicans, but they willingly offer to negotiate with a Russian dictator over national security. That is the state of politics in this country. All things considered, I would consider Boehner's comment to be on the polite side.

January 2, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Larry in Houston

LOL – the good 'ol boy Boehner – he just makes me sick, and to be perfectly honest – he's dumber than a sled track – – if I was harry reid, I would have told him the same thing , ( when clint eastwood said to that chair – then the " chair " said : " I can't do that to myself "

January 2, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. jk in MN

The Tan Man must have been channeling Clint Eastwood. One word comes to mind – Childish!!!!

January 2, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. sifto

good for Boehner–its about time someone told that Reid person off.....how he calls himself a mormon is beyond me-

January 2, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  21. Zane

It's nice to see how John Boehner is keeping things classy.

January 2, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  22. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

With fairness to Boehner, he was trying to cry but instead the f-word came out. But at least we all know what Bachmann and Palin do when they're together.

January 2, 2013 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  23. Disgusted_Republican

It seems Republicans love that phrase recalling the Cheney/Leahy brou ha ha.

January 2, 2013 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  24. Tony in Maine

In three words, John Boehner summed up everything that is wrong in the Capitol Building. But, in my opinion the solution is not in getting rid of our lawmakers. Phony partisanship (these people aren't ideologues, just hot on the scent of money) is the child of the lobbiest. remove lobbies, all of them, from the equation. Limit political donations to $200/per person one time a year no matter what cause or candidate or party – $200 – that's it. Make lobbying the only capital offense wit a mandatory unappealable offense, and Congress would return to doing the business of the people.

Oh yeah – one more idea while I'm daydreaming. Voting is mandatory. This would eliminate the Tea Party as anything more than a small group of chuckleheads.

January 2, 2013 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  25. sifto

VP Biden introduced the f-word to the political scene–why the big deal about Boehner?

January 2, 2013 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |