December jobs report: Hiring and unemployment steady
January 4th, 2013

December jobs report: Hiring and unemployment steady

New York (CNNMoney) - The job market ended 2012 with more growth, as moderate hiring continued at the end of the year.

The economy added 155,000 jobs in December, bringing the total number of jobs added in 2012 to 1.84 million, the Labor Department said Friday. The unemployment rate was unchanged at 7.8%.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Jobs • unemployment
  1. jkane sfl gop mascots the blubbering slobs allen west rover nitwitquest rick scott ,carl rove and donald dump ??????

It just goes to show the extent of gop lies and propaganda during the elections in Nov. The gops credibility is totally shot and if you want to cut spending so bad ,move to a third world country like somila where they have the same values as the gop bafoon party ,none!!!!!

January 4, 2013 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  2. jkane sfl gop mascots the blubbering slobs allen west rover nitwitquest rick scott ,carl rove and donald dump ??????

It just goes to show the extent of the gop bafoon party lies and propaganda during the elections cycle . It must suck to be a gop bafoon communist party donor and get nothing for your money !!!!

January 4, 2013 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  3. Gurgyl

Job-training and manufacturing focus on curb-greed!!! America, you are just fine.

January 4, 2013 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  4. Karl

This is good??? how many dropped out of the work force??? Where is that forward thing we were promised???

January 4, 2013 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  5. Facts don't Lie

here comes the right wing whine so get ready..."THEY WERE ONLY SEASONAL JOBS!!" Can't let this economy get any better under Obama for sure!

January 4, 2013 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  6. WiredweirdinSF

Don't you just love the pictures of Obama having a great time on his $7 million dollar tax paid Hawaiian vacation, while unemployment rises, the debt hits a new record, and hey, check you pay stub and see how that promise that Obamacare was not a tax and would not cost you one more dime worked out. Of course most of the people who are reading this do not get a paycheck, that is why they so overwhelmingly supported the worst, most corrupt, most inept, most incompetent, most arrogant, union toady president this country has ever had.

January 4, 2013 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  7. Tampa Tim

It appears that the weird one did not know that the 2% payroll tax cut was provided by the Obama stimulus. I am more convinced that the weird one never worked a day in his life, or he would have known that taxes were the lowest in 50 years under our president.

January 4, 2013 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  8. thomase

Why is Obama's vacation schedule an issue to people still? He's taken less vacation the any of the presidents in the last 40-50 years. Did those presidents suddenly pay for their vacations out of pocket?

Why do we assume that all the president of the US is allowed to do is solve all US problems during the day and sleep briefly at night?

January 4, 2013 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  9. Tampa Tim

Don't you just love the uninformed minimum wage earners who post conspiracy crap from Fox?

January 4, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

You know, I'm going to go out on a limb here. There are jobs to be had. Perhaps not in the same income bracket as what a person who may have suffered a career loss was used to. But to sit on unemployment for 5 years trying to get a job with the same income and benefits one held for 20 years IS unacceptable. I've never been on unemployment, but I have been laid off a few times in my lifetime. I did have to work my way back up the ladder with each new job I accepted. As has my husband when he lost his job of 28 years back in 2007. He immediately took a lesser paying job at the same company that laid him off. He's gotten a few raises since and is very near where he was income wise when his previous job was eliminated. I too was laid off back then and after having worked for 30 years, I simply chose to retire.

But to sit on unemployment for 5 years? No, I can't see where that leads to anything constructive.

January 4, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  11. UDidntBuildThat

Tampa Tim-It appears that the weird one did not know that the 2% payroll tax cut was provided by the Obama stimulus. I
    _________________
    The 2% payroll tax cut was put in place by none other than George W. Bush. What u seem to be ok with is that middle class was promised by Obama that their taxes would not go up at all. Only the top 2% would see an increase remember? Well the top 2% got a tax increase as well as 77% of the rest of us. while Obama jetted off to his $7million tax payer funded vacation.

But your ignorance of the facts is typical of the Obama sheeple voter. LOL!

January 4, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  12. Ancient Texan

Yep, Utopia is finally here! We'll never have another bad day. (sarcasm)

January 4, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  13. The Real Tom Paine

-WiredweirdinSF

**************************************
    I just got my first pay stub of the year: guess what? I have more take-home pay. I also have a new house, courtesy of the lowest interest rates in a generation. And, for the umpteenth time, it was 3 decades of conservative, trickle down garbage and tax cuts combines with the rightie addiction to pork that got us into this.

January 4, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  14. Rick in OP

The increase in the number of jobs in December of 156,000 barely keeps up with the needed increase in jobs of 150,000 per month just to keep up with the increase in population in the United States.
    My assistant just told me she got her paycheck...the new 2% increase in the payroll tax was very noticeable. An economist I saw on Bloomberg TV this morning says that the increase in payroll taxes will have the same effect on consumers as an increase in the price of gasoline by $1.20 per gallon.

January 4, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  15. Facts don't Lie

January 4, 2013 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  16. Phyllis G Williams

God answers prayer. Once I was unemployed. I cried to my Heavenly Father. He opened an impossible job. I took
    it by faith and worked there for years.

January 4, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

"An economist I saw on Bloomberg TV this morning says that the increase in payroll taxes will have the same effect on consumers as an increase in the price of gasoline by $1.20 per gallon."

Not to mention that $6.00 per gallon milk we're all waiting to drink ... ?

"OMG just wonder how some of these righties would respond if we were still losing jobs every month like we were under a certain ex-president that will remain nameless in this post."

I can guarantee you they wouldn't have been here every month shouting in glee as they have been.

January 4, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  18. rs

Clearly, we're on the right track. Now everyone- just imaging how much better conditions would be in our nation, especially for the middle class if the GOP applies themselves as much to the middle class as much as they do for protecting the rich.
    Goodbye 112th Congress- you were useless!

January 4, 2013 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  19. rs

WiredweirdinSF-
    Given that GW Bush spent nearly 3 years on vacation during his Presidency, I'd go pretty quiet on Mr. Obama if I were you.

January 4, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  20. rs

UDidntBuildThat-
    Face it- you're just like the GOP-addicted to ridiculously low tax rates, and do not grasp what the word "temporary" means.

January 4, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  21. Wake up People!

@Lynda/Minnesota. I agree with everything you said. I too lost my good paying job in 2008. However I did have to go on unemployment for quite a while. It was my first time in 30 years of employment. I hated it. I hated getting paid every other week, I also hated the fact that all I received was 65% of my actual pay. I searched for work for 2 years diligently, unfortunately for myself, Michigan was also in dire straits. Anyways I finally found another job, doing basically the same thing I did before but unfortunately I had to take an almost $5 an hour cut in pay. But I'm hoping things get better. Unfortunately I work for a large corporation that makes money hand over fist that doesn't pay their employees very well. But the execs and their children are doing great. The owners 16 year old daughter received a new BMW for her birthday, and here I am struggling to stay afloat.

January 4, 2013 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  22. Wilson

"An unlimited power to tax involves, necessarily, a power to destroy; because there is a limit beyond which no institution and no property can bear taxation." –John Marshall
    --------------------------------

January 4, 2013 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. Wilson

The bad news - and there's plenty - is that the fiscal cliff deal contains $10 in tax increases for every $1 in spending cuts. In fact, the deal increases spending by $330 billion over 10 years while deferring sequestration cuts for two months so the 113th Congress can fight that battle again, along with raising the debt ceiling. Democrats call this a "balanced approach," but it leaves the U.S. facing yet another trillion-dollar deficit this year. Unfortunately, that pales in comparison to the looming crisis of $48 trillion in unfunded liabilities for Social Security and Medicare.

January 4, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  24. Wilson

Even as Democrats gouge the "rich," however, they offered numerous favors to their flush corporate friends. From a long list, the starving artists in Hollywood get a $248 million tax break, NASCAR track owners get $78 million, rum distillers can toast to $222 million and the wind-energy sector can blow through $12.1 billion. In the end, Democrats gave away much of the new taxes they will extract from the top bracket, while further complicating an already bloated tax code. Yet Obama had the chutzpah Tuesday to call for "further reforms to our tax code so that the wealthiest corporations and individuals can't take advantage of loopholes and deductions that aren't available to most Americans."

January 4, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  25. Wilson

The effect on the already stagnant economy almost certainly won't be good. The 155,000 jobs added in December are barely enough to account for population growth. Headline unemployment rose to 7.8 percent (which matches November's new upward-revised number), U-6 held steady at 14.4 percent and labor-force participation stayed at 63.6 percent, just above the 31-year low of 63.5 percent.

January 4, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |