Gun violence task force to meet with members of video game industry
January 11th, 2013

Gun violence task force to meet with members of video game industry

(CNN) - It was the massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, that spurred the creation of a federal task force on gun violence, but the headlines since then have shown that the issue stretches beyond any single incident.

The work of the task force, led by Vice President Joe Biden, comes at a time when the debate over guns is everywhere.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Gun rights • Joe Biden
  1. Wake up People!

So we ban video games but not assault weapons? Wow?? I don't remember the last time I heard of a video game going on a shooting spree or a person using a joystick to commit mass murder.... But my memory could be getting bad.

But on a serious note, my brother is a serious gamer. He has been playing video games since Atari. The past few years he has really gotten into Call of Duty. He plays online with his buddies everyday after work. We grew up on the West side of Detroit, yet my brother has NEVER shot a gun in his life. He's never even wanted to. I'm not saying everyone is like him but come on, games are games and real guns are real.

I used to play a driving game back in the day, I can't remember the name but my speeds would be almost 200 mph, while I do have a lead foot, I wouldn't dare to even attempt to drive that fast in real life.

Come on people, let's be real about the situation.

January 11, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

-Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

@ Terry

Chicago doesn't have a gun problem, they have a gang problem. And if you want to be specific about which gangs they are, they're Vice Lords & Gangster Disciples.
    *****************************
    Wonder how often they go to gun shows?

January 11, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  3. vadimer

We need these outrageous video game company's to have all in game people carry Cannons that shoot stuffed animals and when the target is hit they laugh

January 11, 2013 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. TheObserver

So instead of addressing the problem at the core, we look for easy fixes, and easy scapegoats. In the 90's it was mostly the movies and now video gaming has become the convenient culprit. Nobody wants to face the fact that mental health issues need to be taken more seriously. Nobody wants to fact the fact that our shortcomings as parents can and do result in violent outbursts from our children, yes OUR children. Nobody is immune from making a bad decision. To address the problem at its root would entail more digging, more work, more psychological study, more early childhood interventions, more respect for lethal weapons, and a renewed social contract with your fellow man. But, in typical American arm-chair quarterback fashion, we say, "It's because of the movies and the video games!"

No it isn't! It never was, and it never will be. Whether you've played a violent video game or not, you've had a violent thought or two. All of us have thought about clocking someone in the face, or even worse, at some point. There are NO angels among us. I grew up and played plenty of violent games, and plenty of games with gun accessories. My parents objected with a few of them but I played them all anyway. At no point did I ever feel compelled to imitate a violent act I saw in a game. Why? Because I was taught right from wrong. Video games did not raise me, my parents did.

Censorship is NOT the answer. The younger generation will have no reason to respect an older generation who tried to simply hide the truth from them rather than explain it and invite them to experience it. Video game ratings are even more stringent than movie ratings, by far. Any game with guns or human violence gets a "M" (mature) or 17+ rating, and they're even required to say it in any advertisement. The information for parents to make informed decisions is right there, it can't be made any more obvious. Should we have no more R rated movies simply because children might watch at some point? Of course not. Nearly all other nations include, and broadcast, on regular network TV, nudity and profanity. Has this caused England to descend into moral/ethical despair? Of course not. What it does is paint an ACCURATE picture of the world, for better or for worse. Of course parents still have the right to make decisions on what their kids watch, but an accurate day-to-day portrayal of a society is NOT being sacrificed in the meantime. It's only in America where adults use their children as a reason to censor that which they themselves don't want to acknowledge/see/hear/address/discuss with their children. It's this same group of adults, who live in a bubble, and think America is the same as was in 1950, who are behind this push. Only now, they want to pull their kids into their dream-world with them. Games and movies are out there and they're not going away, but the responsibility was, is, and always will be with the parents. You can't ask the government to do the job of the parents, our government already meddles in too many arenas where it has no place. Lets live in reality, depict reality, make opinions about reality, and go from there, shall we?

January 11, 2013 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  5. Sniffit

"Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the United States.

And was has all of this got them? More violence. More GUN violence."

January 11, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. Terry

@rs

"Terry-
    I think we could agree that Chicago's crime issue is somewhat unique, as the deaths occur within a fairly targeted population. However if you want to play with examples, please explain the dramatic drop in gun crime generally and mass-murder specifically in Australia after their assualt weapons and gun control laws went into effect."

--------------------------------------------

What do you mean by " the deaths occur within a fairly targeted population."?

January 11, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

The NRA blaming violent movies and games actually makes the case for an assault weapons ban. Australia is a case history that says banning assault weapons reduces the violence from those types of weapons.

It's too bad that loud minority of delusional survivalists want to drag everyone down to their level of thinking. I think I can hear the THWUMP-THWUMP-THWUMP of the black helicopters right now. I'm not worried about them, though. I know they're headed to that guy's house who lives up in the woods.

January 11, 2013 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

Sniffit

"Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the United States.

And was has all of this got them? More violence. More GUN violence."

--------------
    Chicago's handgun ban was overturned by the NRA a few years ago. Handgun violence in the city has exploeded ever since. Most of the weapons used in Chicago's violent crimes are coming from Kentucky.

January 11, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Sniffit

C'mon now guys. We demanded that "everything is on the table." If you want that to be the case, you have to accept that EVERYTHING will be on the table.

If we could get the GOP/Teatrolls in the House to behave like sane, rational adults, then we'd have congressional hearings and experts would come in and put this silliness about video games causing mass murders to bed for good...and all the evidence that it is silliness would be on the congressional record. That would be a good thing. Unfortunately, what we'll likely get is a hearing about this aspect of the overall issue and the GOPer in charge of that committee will play games and refuse to let Dems call their own witnesses etc., like the GOP has been doing the past couple years with various hearings, most notable Peter King's hearings on Muslims that echoed the McCarthy hearings. However, that still doesn't excuse applying a double standard. It just means you need to fight harder to make the evidence heard.

January 11, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  10. Terry

@Sniffit
    "And Chicago and Illinois have the surrounding red states where everyone gets their guns to thank for that.
    ------------------------------------------------
    If I use use "liberal logic", then the existence of strict gun laws will solve the problem.
    The problem remains. The gun laws have failed miserably.

January 11, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Correction to my last post:STOP LEAVING THESE KIDS TO RAISE THEMSELVES. Pardon.

January 11, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  12. M

Look, I've been blowing people away in video games for nearly 30 years. I turned out to be a well-rounded man with a full time job. Quit rationalizing your nonsense.

January 11, 2013 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |