Bloomberg group releases new gun control ad
January 14th, 2013

Bloomberg group releases new gun control ad

(CNN) – Families who lost loved ones to gun violence offer a plea for tighter gun control measures in a new television spot released Monday from Mayors Against Illegal Guns, the group fronted by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

"My son. My daughter. My dad. My brother. Was murdered with a gun. Murdered with a gun. It can happen to your child. Enough. Enough. Enough," different people say in the spot, which the group said would air nationally, as well as in local markets that have seen incidents of gun violence.

The ad comes on the one-month anniversary of the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut that left 27 people dead, including 20 students at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

In the spot, a woman asserts that "a line has been crossed in Newtown," a sentiment echoed by Bloomberg in a statement accompanying the ad's release.

"Thirty days have passed since 20 children and six adults were gunned down at Sandy Hook Elementary School – and still, no action has been taken by Washington to end our country's gun violence epidemic," Bloomberg wrote. "Now is the time for Congress to buck the special interests of the gun lobby that endanger our children."

Measures Bloomberg is pushing include background checks for all gun sales, tighter restrictions on assault weapons, and making gun trafficking a federal crime.

"We cannot let another month go by with no action," Bloomberg said.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns last ran a pro-gun control spot in early January, marking the two-year anniversary of the shooting in Tucson, Arizona, that left six people dead and thirteen wounded, including former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

That spot featured the mother of Christina Green, the nine-year-old girl who was killed in the Tucson shooting. It was scheduled to run on cable in Washington through Monday.

Filed under: Michael Bloomberg
  1. Rudy NYC

Remember that newspaper that published info about gun permit holders a couple of weeks ago or so? Over the weekend someone tried to break into one of the homes, supposedly trying to steal the guns. Blame is being placed on the newspaper.

Apparently the burglars used a 30 foot extension ladder to break through a second floor window for the room where the guns were stored. What I want to know is this. How can you blame the newspaper when the burglars seemed to know exactly where in the house the guns were stored? Or was it just coincidence?

I think that it was just a random burglary just happened to be a home that was listed by the newspaper. Make no mistake. I'm not defending the paper because it puts people not on the list in just as much jeopardy as those that were.

January 14, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  2. Disgusted

What about the people that were murdered by people that were DUI? Should we ban cars? What about the people that were murdered with knives? Are we going to ban all kitchen utensils? This lsit can go on forever. I agree that assault weapons need to be banned. Other than that, I believe the Constituion covers gun control.

January 14, 2013 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

Disgusted wrote:

--------------
    If were talking about "knives" instead of "guns" being used at massacre, would we really talking about giving the all of the staff a knife to be used to defend themselves?

January 14, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  4. Hill

Rudy NYC

You live in the right place for your views. Restrictions are there and will only get tougher. That paper has already hurt people and of course no one in the media cares. I have always owned guns for hunting and my father owned plenty but never owned a handgun since he specifically said they were for killing people and he was not interested in harming anyone. I agree with my father that I am not interested in harming another human being. I do not have an AR (but know plenty of great people that do) and have no need for one but it’s a slippery slope on what comes next when there is a slow contraction of legal arms. Both my father and I were in the military but I shoot with people that never were in the service that are better shots than I am. Training, knowledge and gun safety make a huge difference. There are laws now in my state that require hunter safety classes. Hunters now are are much more safe than when I grew up and there ought to be gun safety class requirement to own a gun but further gun restrictions is not going to help. I do have a permit to carry but never do. Because of my age I was not required to take hunter safety but took it with my kids anyway and got the certficate anyway. Education & better parenting is half the battle. I am not the best at either but I go the extra mile to make a difference.

January 14, 2013 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  5. NVa Native

The First Amendment as it is written is more important than the NRA’s twisted self-serving (profitable) interpretation of the Second Amendment.

January 14, 2013 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  6. thomase

-------------------------

No, but we regulate cars and driving to a level unseen with guns. Licenses, training, insurance, strict driving laws, ride programs to check drivers for drinking...

Boy would I absolutely love guns to be regulated nearly as much as cars. Amazingly if we didn't have these restrictions on cars a SIGNIFICANT increase in deaths and injuries would occur. The same is true for guns.

January 14, 2013 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  7. NVa Native

Well said Rudy NYC. But these low level talking heads of the radical-right will use any devise – random or fictitious – to promote their selfishly narrow ideology, while denying or ignoring fact, science, and/or history when it does not support their selfishly narrow ideology.

January 14, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  8. Boo

Thomase – how many people deliberately try to kill someone with their car?

January 14, 2013 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  9. Wake up People!

I don't mean to sound un-American but I get so sick of hearing about the right to bear arms. The Constitution was written hundreds of years ago, way before there were assault weapons or even police. I can't imagine the founding fathers would have in their wildest imaginations been able to predict what kinds of guns would be available to the general public. Yet whenever anyone says anything about guns people continue to quote it. What I want to know is this. Since so many are talking about their constitutional rights, I am curious to find out if as many people were put off by the fact that the Constitution states all men are to be treated equal, yet none of that referred to non-whites. Does that bother anyone?? It does me, which is why I celebrate the 4th of July, not Independence Day. I'm not looking for an argument, just wondering.

January 14, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

Hill wrote:

You live in the right place for your views. Restrictions are there and will only get tougher. ... I agree with my father that I am not interested in harming another human being. I do not have an AR (but know plenty of great people that do) and have no need for one but it’s a slippery slope on what comes next when there is a slow contraction of legal arms. ....
    --------------
    Averge citizens are not permitted to own the assault rifles that can launch explosive grenades. How come no one is complaining about that?

The 2nd Amendment was written for a different time and era, one where the US did not have a standing army and towns didn't have police forces. It was written to be a contrast to King George III's policy of prohibiting citizens from owning weapons.

And if major cities like NYC, Chicago, and Wash DC are places where tougher restrictions are needed, then why is that the NRA has successfully fought and overturned those cities' handgun and concealed weapons laws.

January 14, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  11. ronnie evans

why or u taxing everyone else and leaving the newcomers without paying taxes that will lower our deficit look at all our small buisness that or now run by forighners they pay no tax and we get stuck with the tax payments that they dont pay we need to tax them just like everyone else that would help the deficit

January 14, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  12. thomase

how many people deliberately try to kill someone with their car?

-------------------

Anyone who deliberately drives impaired or recklessly to save a few minutes driving time. They are just as guilty as a person pulling a trigger.

January 14, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  13. vathneant

how does the NRA twist the second amendment? the only twisting I see is constantly coming from the anti gun crowd. the second amendment is pretty straight forward. if there is any question to what exactly it meant one only needs to read the federalist papers. and to everyone who knows little about guns (and sadly quite a fewthat do) these weapons you keep referringto as "assault weapons" are not and they err not designed for military use. They are in fact designed for the civilian market. Justbecause they look like military weaponry does not make them so. There's a reason you can buy an AR at a gun store but not an M16. Idon't know if this is a simple misunderstanding or intentional lies but either way the misinformation needs to end.

January 14, 2013 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  14. GayAtheist

The second amendment exists not to take up arms agaisnt government accountants and clerks, but to take up arms against US Troops.
    This is what the NRA is doing. They are preparing for a sick doomsday christian bible fetish thing ( ala David Koresh) where they invision themselves winning a glorious war against US Troops.
    I don't know about the rest of you, But the NRA plotting to attack and harm US Marines, Navy Seals, and our good Soldiers, and other US Military personel, is, to me, profoundly repugnant and UNamerican.

January 14, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  15. ghostriter

thomase, I think you need to look up the difference between intentional and accidental.

January 14, 2013 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |