Bush 41 released from hospital
January 14th, 2013

Bush 41 released from hospital

(CNN) – Former President George H.W. Bush was discharged Monday from the hospital in Houston where he spent several weeks receiving treatment for bronchitis, a bacterial infection and a persistent cough, his spokesman Jim McGrath said in a statement.

Dr. Amy Mynderse, the internal medicine physician in charge of the former president's care, added that Bush "has improved to the point that he will not need any special medication when he goes home, but he will continue physical therapy."

Bush, who's been hospitalized in Houston since November 23, said he was "deeply grateful" for the doctors and nurses at The Methodist Hospital. The former president went home following his release.

"Let me add just how touched we were by the many get-well messages we received from our friends and fellow Americans," Bush said in the statement. "Your prayers and good wishes helped more than you know, and as I head home my only concern is that I will not be able to thank each of you for your kind words."

He was moved out of the hospital's intensive care unit just over two weeks ago. He was listed in guarded condition while he received treatment for what McGrath called "a stubborn fever."

Doctors were at several points optimistic that his release was imminent. McGrath said in December that Bush had been undergoing physical therapy in preparation for discharge.

After release from the intensive care unit, McGrath said Bush's "exchanges with doctors and nurses now include singing." He received visits from family members including his wife over the Christmas holiday, and was serenaded by the gospel-turned-country quartet of the 1970s and '80s the Oak Ridge Boys.

Oak member Joe Bonsall said of their telephone performance for the former president, "We asked what song he would like to hear and he said 'Elvira,' so we blasted some 'oom pop a mau mau's' in the direction of Houston, Texas."

Four months older than former President Jimmy Carter, the 88 year-old Bush is the oldest of the living former presidents.

- CNN's Kevin Liptak and Gregory Wallace contributed to this report

Filed under: George H.W. Bush
  1. AJ

I got bronchitis!!!! Ain't nobody got time for that!!!!! Glad you are feeling better.

Sincerely,
    Sweet Brown

January 14, 2013 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. Mary Ellen Jacobs RN

I wish the former president the best in his ongoing recovery. I am curious what type of health insurance he has which would cover him for 2 month acute care stay, with a good portion of that taking place in ICU. Of course not knowing the details of his treatment it would be impossible to tell. I just find it unusual to see that length of stay in acute care for cough/bronchitis, fever, in and individual of his age.

January 14, 2013 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  3. Unknown

That last true Republican.

January 14, 2013 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  4. Norm

A great president from the days before the current republicans lost their minds.
    "Read my lips....no new taxes".....

January 14, 2013 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  5. thisisyourbestyear

God Bless!

January 14, 2013 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. jazzmanjimmy

Dear Mr President,

This lifelong liberal democrat wishes you the best in your recovery. i did not always agree with you, but never questioned your decency and love of our country. Your work with President Clinton has been great for the country. Maybe i'll be there when you skydive on your 90th birthday.

January 14, 2013 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. oooo

Thank Basic and Applied Medical Science for G.H.W. Bush's recent recovery.

January 14, 2013 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  8. Alan

I dont ever want to grow so old as to not be able to enjoy my life...we live too long nowadays...it's unnatural

January 14, 2013 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. @ This guy.....

Don't you get a kick from all the saccharine support from the spineless Clovers?

January 14, 2013 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. rj

All the best Mr Bush. You are a good man.

January 14, 2013 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  11. Matt

That picture on the main page says to me "I eat poor people for breakfast! Arrrrr!"

January 14, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. rhope

I wish him well; quick recovery and blessings to his family.
    He is a fine old man

January 14, 2013 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. The_Mick

Best wishes to the last GOP Presidential candidate I voted for – and the last one to call himself a Conservative who wasn't using that badge to mask extremism.

January 14, 2013 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  14. Moderate Liberal

Just wanted to say Mr. Bush Sr. as a supporter of Obama and mostly leaning towards Democrats though not always, I wish you well and hope your health improves. You served our country well though not all your policies aligned perfectly with Agendas I belive in.

January 14, 2013 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  15. Jason

See kids a coke dealer can be President too As long as you work for the CIA when you start your operation, and can pin it on other people. Then when you become President you can pardon your cronies, and just blame the ones on the bottom.

January 14, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. cassarit

Two words:
    Murdering animal.

January 14, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  17. Reagan GOP

God speed Mr. President

January 14, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  18. K rob

Nothing good 2 say

January 14, 2013 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  19. Matt

This Democrat wishes him well in his ongoing recovery also. Stay well Mr. President. I admire his service and dedication to this country as well.

January 14, 2013 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  20. lori

god less you , i wish you all the best in health and happiness=)

January 14, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  21. Michele

Jeez Louise! I'm lucky if I can even get an appt with an MD for bronchitis, but he gets 6 weeks of hospitalization? Yeah, lots of equality in health care here.

January 14, 2013 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. me

Wish I had his health insurance.

January 14, 2013 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |