January 15th, 2013

NRA airs new TV ad criticizing Obama on eve of White House gun announcement

Washington (CNN) - The National Rifle Association released a new television commercial Tuesday night charging President Barack Obama of hypocrisy for being "skeptical" about placing armed guards at schools, while his own two daughters are protected by the U.S. Secret Service.

"Are the president's kids more important than yours?" a narrator says in the 30 second ad. "Then why is he skeptical about putting armed security in our schools, when his kids are protected by armed guards at their school."

The commercial is running on the Sportsman Channel, a cable network focused on outdoors programming such as hunting and fishing. It is also posted on a dedicated web site "Stand and Fight."

On Wednesday, Obama is set to unveil a new set of proposals that would place very tough restrictions on the ownership and sale of firearms.

In the ad, the narrator only mentions Obama by name, but it also features images of Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and NBC anchor David Gregory. Bloomberg is an influential voice in favor of stricter gun laws and has dipped into his personal fortune to help fund a lobby campaign, and Feinstein, a California Democrat, is helping spearhead a congressional effort to enforce tougher gun laws.

Gregory questioned NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre in a December interview about the effectiveness of the organization's proposal to put armed guards in schools. After the interview, the NRA and conservative media outlets noted that Gregory's children attended the same school as Obama's daughters and the school has a security department.

"Mr. Obama demands the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes," the narrator says. "But he is just another elitist hypocrite when it comes to a fair share of security. Protection for their kids and gun-free zones for ours."

The introduction of Obama's children into the gun debate further demonstrates the high stakes in this very complicated and emotional issue about how to weigh Second Amendment rights with the safety of citizens following several high profile killings, including the recent massacre of 20 children and six educators at a Newtown, Connecticut elementary school.

As advocates for new gun restrictions pledge to pressure Congress to pass new laws, the NRA and other like-minded gun rights groups and conservative organizations have said they will fight any changes to the current gun laws.

"Stand and fight sums up what Americans need to do to preserve our Second Amendment freedom," NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam told CNN.

The NRA is not ruling out expanding the buy to air the commercial elsewhere.

The group, which had an existing partnership with the Sportsman Channel, has added an NRA hosted daily weekday program to the network's lineup.

Filed under: Ads • Gun rights • NRA • President Obama
  1. iwannatalk2

hey there sweetie- does your daddy have the us nuclear launch codes in his briefcase? I didn't think so. So duh yeah I want his kids to not be subjected to possible kidnapping & extortion that could lead to our nation's security being at risk. The NRA is DUMB.

January 16, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  2. Jacksjus

This was a major fail. Of course his kids are going to be protected. It's highly likely that they would be targeted if it weren't for security. The school shooting has a much lower probability.

January 16, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. CaliforniaBC

The NRA is going to lose this fight and come out bruised and battered in the public eye.

Their only saving grace, unfortunately, may well be Scalia, Thomas, Alito and Roberts.

January 16, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. BC

As has been previously stated, the real problem here is 26 children and adults were murdered because of the reckless and irresponsible actions of a gun owner who knowlingly allowed access to her [fill in blank with your mental descriptor] child. This leaves the NRA in an exposed position. They can only circle the wagons.

As I said earlier, this does nothing for someone like myself who is concerned that knee jerk reactions will waste money and do nothing to enhance our security. I am looking decade(s) down the line, at a gov't and economy that might crumble (more than it already has) beneath our feet, and there isn't a cop around that will get to my house in time to protect my family from a desparate criminal. I need convincing.

January 16, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  5. Shari Spence

Signs such as the one posted in this article "This is a gun free zone" means nothing to people who wish to do harm, just as the sign "This is a drug free zone" did nothing to stem the tide of drugs and those who use them.

Although I agree something needs to be done, in regards to the types of guns sold, I worry that once you step down the path of changing the constitution or limiting the rights of the people, there may be no stopping it, where does it end, where do you draw the line, especially with this President who is working hard to divide the country by comparing the haves and have nots, and by forcing the government into every facet of our lives. where does it end? with socialism?

January 16, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. what's up

Wonder what Obama is going to do to his Hollywood campaign donators?

No doubt the clown thinks obsessive blood and guts, murder and terror on TV and in movies is okay. It's call creative freedom. Morons are more like it!

January 16, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. pragnesh

It looks like NRA has gone crazy. They don't have a real valid argument against gun control so they make stupid argument and try to mislead American people. But they don't know that American common man and women are smart enough to understand difference between their children and President's children

January 16, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. godisagirl

I believe in gun ownership rights. I am a Navy veteran. I was raised in a very republican, christian, salt-of-the-earth type of family. I realize that most gun owners are responsible and only fire their weapons for target practice and hunting. That being said, I am a 39 year old mother of 2 and am scared for my kids even though thery attend a good school district with updated security measures in place. My stance currently is that there needs to be some gun control. no one needs high capacity round clips and there needs to be more stringent background checks at all levels of purchase points. I don't own a gun. I have thought about buying one. I have no problem with a thorough background check on me. Will it fix everything? no. But... I feel whatever measures we can take to get these high capacity weapons reduced then its for the good. I honestly dont want to take away handguns or hunting rifles. This is a complex issue and addressing mental health, training, security and yes, parents not letting kids eat sleep and breathe violent media. I don't blame the media itself, but the parents who do not turn it off, or limit exposure. This is not about god in or out of schools either. I'm so sick of that arguement. Seriously, there are countless non-violent atheists out there, me included, who would never hurt anyone intentionally. Please understand that Obama's kids are extremely visible targets for violence everyday. This includes all past and future presidential kids. It's foolish to equate the average child's security needs to that of a world leaders offspring. Please stop making reasonable gun owners look stupid.

January 16, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  9. Sean

I'm all for armed guards in school as long as they go through the same background checks, psychological evaluations, and training as the person assigned to protecting the President and his family.

January 16, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  10. what's up

Wonder what Obama is going to do to his Hollywood campaign donators?

January 16, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  11. Max - Park City, UT

NRA's gig is up.

January 16, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  12. Pierre

Human kill human with their gun, as if the could justify others with their own justice. They think they are right.

January 16, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. Manju Guha

The NRA ad is despicable and only shows how low the "greed" can sink. President's children are in the limelight and if attacked, it represents an attack on the President himself and thus an attack on the entire nation. They need special protection for that reason and not because the president asked for it or because they are more precious than any other child. Anybody who supports such bigotry is a Bigot and Hypocrite him/herself. Besides, an armed guard in each school to protect such young and impressionable minds can fill them with fear for their life telling them how horrific this world is even though most people in this world in reality are good.

January 16, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  14. Aaron

For all of those saying that its dumb to compare Obama's daughters to your or my kids is totally foolish... So you're telling me that his kid's life is a lot more worth defending than our kids? Its a proven FACT that all this shooting are happening in "GUN-FREE" zones, people we need to wake up and smell the coffee! there is a reason why banks and court houses are protected with guns, because the content within is worth protecting, and I know that if I was at the right place at the right time to prevent another massacre, you can be darn skippy I will draw to defend my kids, your kids, and anyone else around (As long as the area is legal for me to draw my CCW) <- which really... Would you want me to use this excuse for why I couldn't and didn't stop the madman?

January 16, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  15. bill.x

The NRA is a domestic terrorist organization. An enemy of the people.

January 16, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  16. Chris

I disagree with most of the NRA commercial . The president MUST have Secret Service protection for his family. The law requires it and too many nut jobs would harm his children to control the country. As for me and my neighbors, we have guns and hope that some other lunatic doesn't go purchase an assault weapon from his local gun store. I don't a guy with that many bullets in a magazine to just open fire while I'm out at a movie theater. Time to take these military style weapons away because it's usually the mental nut jobs who are using them. Everyone else is just fine with a shot gun and regular hand guns is enough for protection

January 16, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. Ian

With as much money as Wayne LaPierre makes per a year, i don't believe he has the right to call anyone an elitist. Why doesn't his children go to a public school ??

January 16, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  18. ccw

low blow by the NRA....of course the president's children are protected by armed guards....so has every other child of a president in modern times.

January 16, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  19. upclosepls

Liberals Exposed: The Obama administration and his liberal media followers, are trying to con naive American’s by demonizing semi-auto rifles. How? By calling them “assault weapons” which is a lie (look up the definition). They also keep saying “assault weapons are not needed for hunting”. The real truth: the second amendment was not designed by our founding fathers for hunting (and liberals know this). This is nothing more than a con job to confuse naive American’s into following their ideological beliefs. It’s really about power and control from both liberals and the Obama administration. History shows that if you strip the guns from the people you control the people. Hopefully the liberals and government will not continue to test the power of the second amendment and push this into an ugly repeat of the past. AMERICANS! PLEASE STOP BEING CONNED!

January 16, 2013 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  20. Bhimrao

That ad is in the lowest of low in tastes. CNN should have refused to put it in. We are showing photos of very high level Sr. elected representative and the newly elected President. Maybe NRA should be prosecuted by the Dept. of Justice. Is that a possibility? Glad to see that NRA who has always been high and mighty and untouchable, is finally beginning to feel the heat. Hope a lot of what the president has proposed gets legislated. (hopefully the whole lot).

January 16, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  21. Chris Honry

Last time I checked the "Armed Guards" in the Secret Service are NOT washed up or fired cops or dishonorably discharged privates or other $10 an hour losers like they would be at most schools. Last thing I'd want is a gun fight at my kids' school between shoddily trained mall cops and a psycho. Talk about "friendly" fire danger.

Better to have a wireless remote control necklace around each teacher's neck that they can push to lock the door instantly.

January 16, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  22. TiredODaCrap

In reading the White House response, I agree 100% that the President's children should never be used in a political struggle. However, how is that any different than the kids he had sitting on stage today when he made his presentation. There is no reason they – or the other families – should have been anywhere near there. It's just his way of using those poor souls to get his agenda some sympathy.

January 16, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  23. David Johnson

This is shoddy reporting. I do believe the ad is inappropriate, but the NRA is talking about a different type of armed security at the school. They are not talking about the Secret Service agents that are there specifically to protect the President's children. The school apparently is one that many prominent people choose to enroll their children in, due in large part to the presence of armed security (not Secret service).

The President has said he does not support the idea of having armed security in schools, as proposed by the NRA. yet, the school his daughters attend has armed security, in addition to the Secret Service detail.

January 16, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  24. theresa

By the way if you ever noticed Chicago were this stupid President comes from has one of the strictist laws and bans on weapons and how many murders to they have so far????? or how man did Chicago have last year look it up you'll be shocked......

January 16, 2013 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  25. You

Your second amendment was written when front-loading muskets were the most sophisticated weapons around.

January 16, 2013 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |