Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama on Wednesday announced his gun violence reduction plans, including 23 steps his administration plans to take unilaterally and several legislative proposals.
He will advocate for reinstatement and strengthening the assault weapons ban, a ten-round limit for ammunition magazines, increasing access to mental health, and requiring a criminal background check on every gun sale.
Obama said he would use "whatever weight this office holds" to get new measures enacted.
The assault weapons ban would "prevent easy access to instruments of mass violence," according to a fact sheet distributed by the White House. It would "get military style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines off the streets," as well as outlaw armor-piercing bullets.
In 1994 an assault weapons ban was passed which outlawed weapons having folding or telescoped stocks, a pistol grip, a bayonet mount, flash suppressor, or a grenade launcher.
The legislative proposals would take action from Congress, and the assault weapons ban is likely to face opposition in both houses.
"To make a real and lasting difference, Congress, too, must act, and Congress must act soon. And I'm calling on Congress to pass some very specific proposals right away," Obama said. "They need to bring these proposals up for a vote, and the American people need to make sure they do."
Obama also issued directives to members of his administration which he says will also address gun violence. The White House provided a list of the 23 unilateral actions the President plans to take. See that White House list below.
Gun Violence Reduction Executive Actions
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
There has never – EVER – been a ban on semi-auto weapons. EDUCATE YOUSELF as to exactly what a semi-auto weapon is.
to Fair is Fair...gun ban act of 1994...just add military stylized assult rifles to this...EDUCATE YOURSELF...before you respond
and as I said....try explaining that to greiving families in upstate ny
Does his "gun legislation" prevent our government from selling assault rifles to the Mexican drug cartels? That really worked out really well.
Actually, Arizona law allowed that to occur. AZ requires that people sign something that says their gun purchases are for their onw personal private use, and it allows them to buy dozens of weapons at one time. The law also has a loophole that allows someone to change their mind once the reach the parking lot after making their purchase. They can sell the weapons to someone in the parking lot. Under AZ law, private gun sales are strictly private.
So when the mule went into a gun store, bought dozens of assault rifles, and then sold them in parking lot no laws were being broken. Furthermore, the agents observing all of these events could not follow the purchaser because the lacked "just cause" that a crime was committed. The same applies to police following you just because you drove away from a bar.
That is what "False and Frivilous" was really all about.
"Does his "gun legislation" prevent our government from selling assault rifles to the Mexican drug cartels? That really worked out really well. The hypocracy is so thick with this administration, it's a wonder the White House doesn't float into the Potomac River."
You know what? You are absolutely right! This a law-enforcement issue, so where has the chief law-enforcement official in the U.S. (Attorney General Eric Holder) been hiding? Obama can't afford to have Eric Holder associated with the gun control issue after Holder let all of those assault rifles get away in Mexico.
His new title should be "Eric Holder – Gun Runner"
amf140: the mexcan drug cartel began under a previous administration. I know most anti-Obama people hate hearing that, but it's the truth. Besides what exactly do you really know about what happened? Can you really trust your sources? Bottom line, no one sane is saying anything close to taking people's guns away....impossible. What we don't need are military weapons on the streets which can be stolen by "responsible gun owners" and used on the public. If you've ever been in a war or gun fight as some of us have...you'll know how scary and how low your survival odds are EVEN if you have the same amount of firepower as your foe. Sadly, as a cop, we are outnumbered in that department on the street. Remember when they had to break into a gun store in California to stop two armed bandits? Get rid of military weapons to a public that doesn't need them. Want to fire one? Join the military, then get shot at and see what it feels like. If we want to keep this country from being like Afghanistan, stop arming the people the same style of weapons.
So, which of the president's 23 executive orders will the Oregon sheriff refuse to enforce? What is there to enforce? The president is not telling him to do anything.
i belive in right to bare arms .
Does his "gun legislation" prevent our government from selling assault rifles to the Mexican drug cartels? That really worked out really well. The hypocracy is so thick with this administration, it's a wonder the White House doesn't float into the Potomac River
Really, you think the feds are selling guns to the cartels? Are you that ill-informed? Those guns came primarily from Phoenix Arizona gun shops (you know, the Republican-controlled state with virtually NO gun laws), and from gun shows, bought and paid for by straw buyers- That is what Fast and Furious was trying to track and shut down.
Who has distributed the greatest number of assault weapons at one time.....and who were they given to.....and how many deaths resulted? Who has gone to jail in the admin- for these crimes? who is responsible? ....is oops! guess we did that the wrong way! sufficient? HOW MANY TIMES HAVE WE NOT DISCOVERED SIMILAR?? I SAY "TOTAL MISTRUST" of our gov't.....done.....end of story....