(CNN) - Neither former President George H.W. Bush nor his son former President George W. Bush will attend the inauguration of President Barack Obama.
Both attended Obama's first inauguration in 2009, when the younger Bush's second term ended. Former presidents often attend inaugurations and have prominent seats alongside legislators, Supreme Court justices and other dignitaries.
This will be the first inauguration that the elder Bush has missed since 1997, according to spokesman Jim McGrath. That year, former President Bill Clinton was sworn in for his second term.
The elder Bush was released on Monday from a Houston hospital, where he had spent more than a month after being admitted with bronchitis. He spent a week in intensive care as doctors treated a fever.
His doctor said Bush would continue to receive physical therapy as an outpatient. At age 88, he is the oldest living president and is four months older than former President Jimmy Carter.
Freddy Ford, a spokesman for the younger Bush, told CNN, "President and Mrs. Bush wish President Obama and his family all the best for a wonderful inaugural weekend." Ford did not say why Bush would not attend.
Obama will take the oath of office for his second term at noon Sunday, as is constitutionally required, at the White House. The ceremony at the Capitol will be held on Monday.
– CNN's Dave Alsup contributed to this report
What the heck!! They wont come to the inauguration? Damn Bush's.
Thats not American.
Bush is just angry that someone was able to fool America better than he did, without any mass orchestrated 9/11 tower strikes, but with a simple Photoshopped birth certificate.
Good for the American people for the father and the son do not attend the inauguration Especially the son.
Not a great loss. We are in this predicament thanks to the illeterate younger Bush.
Good. Shrub needs to be at home, near to his dad, due to his father's ill health.
I can definitely understand HW Bush not going because of his health
Reason Bush will not attend:
1. Bush is embarrassed in in the state he left the country. And he should be.
2. Bush was asked not to attend because it would be embarrassing for the GOP since they are trying so hard to win votes.
3. Bush cant attend because he as an appointment with another lawyer trying to get him out the criminal charges he and chainy raked up while in office.
4. Bush will not attend because the secret service does not like driving him around when he is drunk. Funny he shows up anywhere.
5. Bush will not attend because he has a meeting with the little tiny devil powering Chainys heart. How else could a person so evil live so long with such a bad ticker.
6. Bush can not attend because he just realized he is the worst president, ever !
7. Bush can not attend because he saw the video from 9/11 and now he knows what everyone else knows. When he was informed that America was under attack he did NOTHING but sit there and look stupid.
8. Bush will not be attending because he is looking for excuses because more embassies where attacked on his watch than ANY other president.
9. Bush will not attend because he is to happy spending all the money he received in kick backs for helping the speculators prior to the crash.
10. Bush will not be attending because he is hoping to be the president of texas once they are no longer part of the United States and attending would be a conflict of interest.
11. No one cares he is not attending and he will not be noticed. Anyway he is outside of his element. The new people that moved into his house are the education type and he would just not fit in.
GW Bush, not a public servant, never qualified to be President.
I love President Obama. May God bless you and your family and the people of the United States.
GWB is probably staying at home to avoid being booed in public. Repubs blame him for the downfall of the party. Dems just plain hate the guy.
he's not attending because he doesn't care and I don't blame him one bit.
Oh please...who cares if Bush attends or not. They all have seen inaugurations before.
Good I think nobody wants them there anyway. As long as Bill and Hilliary is attending, The Bushes can kiss their asses.
obama should be glad that these two failed,former presidents won't be there to pollute the atmosphere.
What a circus. Spending money we don't have on a party. Get real
All the best to my president obama. Adore
Probably due to H.W. Bush's health. That's not the sort of trip you make just after a long stint in the hospital.
I dont blame Bush 1 & 2 for not coming, Bush 1 is still recovering, and I'm sure Bush 2 wants to spend time with his father. I have grandparents Bush 1's age and they're not getting any younger.
I understand and respect the elder Bush. He is an American first and just trying to get well. The young Bush action is bad and shows disrespect to the country and himself.
Good. The entire Bush family makes me sick.
W! Show some class and show up at the *Eastern White House*!
I'm glad W. isn't going. Last place on this earth I would want to see the worst President would be in Washington. Just look how screwed up the country was when he left office and we're STILL unscrewing his mistakes and LIES!! It would just remind him of how much of a failure he was as Pres. With a 26% approval rating the last 3 yrs he was in office. At least Pres. Obama got us out of 1 war AND killed Bin Liden!! W., stay under that rock you live under and let us celebrate the fact you're no longer President!!
Yeah, well...a lot of us would like to ignore this inauguration.