Rand Paul: Christie threw a 'tantrum'
January 18th, 2013
1 year ago

Rand Paul: Christie threw a 'tantrum'

(CNN) – Could a primary battle already be underway for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination?

Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky took a swipe at New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie on Friday for his recent attacks against the National Rifle Association. Paul further argued the outspoken governor threw a "tantrum" when he recently criticized lawmakers in Washington over the Superstorm Sandy relief package.

Neither elected official has shot down the idea of running for president in 2016, fueling speculation that both are mulling a White House bid.

In an interview with conservative radio host Laura Ingraham, Paul mentioned Christie as an example of a high-profile Republican who's not standing up for Second Amendment rights in the ongoing gun control debate.

Christie made headlines Thursday for going off about a new NRA political attack ad that makes mention of the president's children. Calling the commercial "reprehensible," Christie said the organization lost credibility with the spot.

Paul, however, said Christie was hurting his own party.

"You have some Republicans backing down like Christie backing down and criticizing the NRA, and I think that doesn't do us any good," Paul said. "So I think Republicans do need to stand more firmly on this issue."

Asked why he thought Christie was going after the NRA, Paul said the governor may be trying to shore up votes for a potential bid down the road. He also pointed to Christie's biting comments against House Speaker John Boehner earlier this month for delaying a vote in the House on the $60 billion-plus federal aide package for Superstorm Sandy.

"I think he may be solidifying his support with Democrats in New Jersey and maybe liberal Republicans. If he wishes to do something nationally, I think criticizing the Second Amendment movement and the over-the-top, 'give me my money' stuff, 'I want all sixty billion now or I'll throw a tantrum'–I don't think that's going to play well in the Republican primary."

Paul argued that Republicans took issue with how the bill was being funded, not the purpose of the bill, itself.

"I think people need to think through what their positions on these things are," he said.

Filed under: 2016 • Chris Christie • Rand Paul
  1. Paul

He needs to switch his last name around! Chris Christie is from New Jersey, a blue state but can elect republicans or democrats. Up there, what you see is what you get! They work together to solve people problems not NRA party former republican party. Rand is just another papa boy who got everything. Enjoyed government (congress) health care benefits under his papa but does not want everybody else to have the same plan! Complaining about big government but part of the same government with offices in DC and Kentucky. Complaining about spending but getting government salary by doing nothing in DC beside spreading hate. He is now part of the group that spent trillion in Irak for American experiment of new war machine but didn't realize that it added to the deficit. It is difficult when you have a biological father as Ron Paul and spiritual father as Rush L

January 18, 2013 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  2. Dewayne

Mr. Paul You have my vote. I didn't vote for change and I wan't vote for Hitler the next time either.
    the only difference between Obama and Hitler is their color. I know I got off of the subject. Sorry about that, but still I will vote for the man that has guts and cares for this country.

January 18, 2013 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  3. kayla

democrats for christie

January 18, 2013 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Don

Chris Christie is a RINO politically, in temperament and size. God help the Republican party if they are dumb enough to offer him up in 4 years.

January 18, 2013 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. Mark G

There are defensible limits to the Bill of Rights, along the lines of "your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose". The 1st amendment, the most important amendment has limitations; you can't yell fire in a crowded theater. I think there are 2 reasons to have a 30 shell clip for an assault weapon; its either a toy for grown ups or a weapon to shoot people. No one uses an over sized clip for defense. If its your toy and you get-off on shooting 20 shells at a time at a gun range, get over it. This is not a slippery slope but rather its time to draw some common sense lines.

January 18, 2013 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. Apollo

Rand Paul, You've got my vote. I only voted for the politicians who support our Second Amendment Right.

January 18, 2013 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  7. Sniffit

"Christie is tough untill he needs something...then all of a sudden he is a big fan of Kool Aid.."

Well, he's about the right size and shape. Maybe the GOp/Teatrolls should paint him all red with a big black smiley face on his belly and have him run through some walls?

January 18, 2013 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. robertholt

Rand Paul doesn't stand a chance in hell of being elected president in 2016.

January 18, 2013 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  9. Don

Rand Paul is what is actually RIGHT with the Republican party. There needs to be more politicians who are concerned with limiting the scope of government in size, cost and power.

January 18, 2013 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. wgf

"I think he may be solidifying his support with .... liberal Republicans"

Liberal Republicans ? Didn't they die off with the mastadons and the saber tooth tigers ? I guess Rand believes he's a mainstream moderate, and that anyone to the left of him is a liberal. Sounds like it's time for another purge.

Hey Christie - becoming a Democrat would mean that you don't have to pander to the crazies anymore. Plus, your party would actually listen to you.

January 18, 2013 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. Mark

I'm sorry isn't the NRA just an advocacy group for the right to bear arms. I believe there are Republicans and Democrats who are members. I'm sorry, I guess they are a Republican advocacy group.

January 18, 2013 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  12. Randy, San Francisco

No need to look further than politicians like Paul to see why the GOP/Tea Party lost decisively in 2012. If GOP/Tea Party purists decide to purge Christie from the party, he is welcome to join the Democrats.

January 18, 2013 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  13. Woman In California

Thus begins the coveted prize of 2016. Since I'm not voting for either, let them kill each other off though I would love to see Paul go first.

January 18, 2013 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  14. bk

I agree with Rand Paul. Christie unfortunately is trying to play on both sides of the fence. Part of the purpose of the Republican party is to cut wasteful spending, which is why so many GOP members were not happy with the bill. If it was just Sandy relief and nothing else, there would have been no problem.

January 18, 2013 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. JA

I think Rand Paul is doing his job well, not sure why everyone here is speaking so negatively about him.

January 18, 2013 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  16. Dominican mama 4 Obama

This sounds like a good time to go to YouTube and watch that excerpt of the movie Paul where he dances to Marvin Gaye"s "Got To Give It Up" because you people are seriously tripping!

January 18, 2013 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  17. jinx88

I have a better shot at getting the GOP nomination than Rand Paul. What a joke but the again I hope he gets the nomination. He might get 10 thousand votes from the tea baggers in the 2016 election to 600 million votes that the Democrat nomination will get.

January 18, 2013 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

Rand Paul, my man. He will personally guarantee another Democratic president in 2017. We do not need any more Republicans in power, at least not any of the current crowd.

January 18, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. wgf

@Dewayne - "the only difference between Obama and Hitler is their color."

I think you may have slept through too many history classes back in school. Displaying this much ignorance really doesn't help your cause.

January 18, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  20. paulm

of christie is out of line.. and he best not think he is viable .. he's not.. a leader needs good judgement .he has already demonstrated that he has poor judgement at best... so let's give him a warm send off as he floats back to reality ..

January 18, 2013 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  21. chris brown

chris christie has made me ashamed that i voted for and supported him. i will vote Rand Paul 2016!! maybe its true that he cant win, but im voting for a conservative. i tried supporting the rep nominee this past time only to find out he wouldnt fight for himself, his party values or me. i will never cast my vote for someone just because they are more mainstream again. these rino's like christie are done getting my vote, back to real conservative values.

January 18, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  22. WillyNilly

Some of us don't particularly care about which party Governor Christie represents as long as he represents the people first. Why is that so hard for some to figure out? Rand Paul is simply the inheritor of lunacy and should avoid embarrassing himself further.

January 18, 2013 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. Wake up People!

Christy vs Paul..... While I would NEVER vote for either of them, I think Christy has burned his bridges with the GOP. They are pi$$ed at him. I'm cool with that because I would rather they ran Rand, the bigot that doesn't believe in civil rights, Paul. That would ensure a democratic victory in 2016. Go Rand!!

January 18, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

paulm wrote:

----------------
    Christie is a Republican who knows how to win contested elections against liberals. The only races that Republicans are winning are races where there is no substantial opposition from the left.

January 18, 2013 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. Winning

Yes, Rand Paul, the guy who absolutely will not get elected president, vs. Chris Christie. I'm surprised he's even a senator. He's an idiot and most of his views are reflective of that.

January 18, 2013 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |