January 21st, 2013

Obama's final glimpse of his inaugural crowd

Washington (CNN) - It was President Barack Obama's final oath, final inauguration speech and final look out over the sea of people heralding the start of his second term.

As Obama walked up the steps leading back into the Capitol Building, he stopped, turned and paused, looking back out over the National Mall where hundreds of thousands of his supporters stood waving flags.

"I'm going to take a look one more time. I'm not going to see this again," he told his family, including wife Michelle, daughters Sasha and Malia, and mother-in-law Marian Robinson.

And there he stood, for about ten seconds, silently soaking in the best view in Washington.

Of course, he'll see a similar view in four years – as the outgoing president, he'll attend his successor's inauguration. And if Monday's event is any prediction, he'll likely attend future presidents' inaugurations as well – both Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton watched Obama take the oath Monday.

But for those few seconds Monday, it was a reminder for Obama that those presidential moments won't last forever.

Filed under: Inauguration • President Obama
  1. Leah DiMarco

I pray to God everyday that President Obama will be with us for the next 50 years.
    God Bless Our President, the Obama Family, and America.

January 21, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  2. Babyboomer

It was unexpected but very touching. I felt like, finally, he gets to enjoy this amazing accomplishment. Bravo Mr. President.

January 21, 2013 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. Carolyn

Whtat a glorious day for President Obama. Too bad he's chewing gum as he watches the parade. Very rude of him.

January 21, 2013 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  4. Wake up People!

It's pretty pathetic that there were NO former republican presidents in attendance. HW has an excuse, he's very old and sickly. But where's W?? Still hiding perhaps?? You can come on out now W, the election is over.

January 21, 2013 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  5. Md Hafizur Rahim

A glorious day for President Obama. Such a day never comes back. He may however make the second term meaningful
    by good works.

January 21, 2013 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. DENNA

I saw the President glancing over the crowd. He knew, as I did, that this day would never happen again. It has been a wonderful, wonderful day. God bless the POTUS, FLOTUS and the Bidens. We love you!

January 21, 2013 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  7. lottie

great day congratulations

January 21, 2013 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  8. Name shaida

Why is the President chewing gum on such a monumental day?
    Its soooo not presidential!!!!

January 21, 2013 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  9. Dean

That hope and change hasn't worked out too well yet. Hope he does get at least a little better at his job.

January 21, 2013 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  10. Name lynn

Obama sworen in for the second term, we the people praying for you obama an your wife an family. Obama you are the first black president of the united states of america. An we the people love you.

January 21, 2013 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  11. Wake up People!

Maybe it's Nicorette gum.

January 21, 2013 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  12. Tom

Carolyn: The President is a recovering smoker. What he was chewing was Nicorette gum to prevent him from having a nicotine withrawal. Be sympathetic!

January 21, 2013 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  13. Mack

He was chewing gum. So what!!!!!!!!!!

January 21, 2013 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  14. Ed1

Glad we will not have him another four years after this term if we still have a United States of America.

January 21, 2013 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  15. Wake up People!

You know, I thought we had some nasty posters here, but has anyone ever checked out the posters on ya hoo?? Insanely rabid and oh so pathetic. I'm always amazed how the GOP claims they are such Christians, yet show themselves to be anything but. The hateful vitriol they are spewing today really speaks volumes.

January 21, 2013 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  16. PetePete1

How come all my comments await moderation? I don't say anything derogatory.

January 21, 2013 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  17. Dr. Pete

To Wake Up People!: I'm so glad you made that observation...The GOP has been out to make Obama fail and yet they are the ones who have failed...not just the president but America! Thanks for the comment!

January 21, 2013 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  18. truth*hurts

I'll take gum chewing over stealing from the poor to pay the rich. Chew on Mr President

January 21, 2013 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  19. Hall for Obama

At least he was not drunk, but you will complaint about any thing this man do. Get over it he won.

January 22, 2013 05:50 am at 5:50 am |
  20. sifto

the GOP have nothing to do with obama's failures–he has been unable to lead his country out of the recession with WH and 2 houses of congress for 2 years–he chose to work on social issues instead of real issues...

January 22, 2013 06:27 am at 6:27 am |
  21. Wake up People!

@Dr. Pete. You are so welcome. I only comment on this board but I read comments everywhere. The hatred directed at this POTUS has been unprecedented. I have never heard anyone speak about any of the former POTUS' in such a nasty way. I was never a supporter of Bush but I would never say such hateful things about him. Truly sad.

January 22, 2013 07:06 am at 7:06 am |