January 28th, 2013

Skeptical congresswoman challenges Obama to skeet shooting match

(CNN) - It's about time for some bipartisan...skeet shooting?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee, joined a chorus of skeptics who questioned President Barack Obama's recent comments about his hobby of skeet shooting, a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks.

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?" Blackburn said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"I tell you what I do think," she later added. "I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

Obama said in an interview published Sunday by The New Republic that he won't ignore the concerns of hunters and sportsmen as his administration pushes for tighter gun laws. To illustrate his point, he added an anecdote about his previously unknown penchant for shooting.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said, responding to a question about whether he had ever fired a gun. He also added he has included guests on his skeet shooting outings.

Some found the comments puzzling and wondered why he hadn't mentioned his gun experience in the high-profile firearm debate over the past six weeks. The remarks especially fired up some conservative blogs and news outlets.

"We had this debate that is ongoing," Blackburn said. "You would have thought it would have been a point of reference."

When asked by Jessica Yellin, CNN's chief White House correspondent, how often the president goes skeet shooting, White House press secretary Jay Carney said earlier Monday that he doesn't know.

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he's done that," Carney said during the daily press briefing.

Pressed further if there was a photograph of the president taking part in the sport, Carney said "There may be, but I haven't seen it."

"Why haven't we heard about it before?" Yellin continued.

"Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs," Carney said.

- CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Marsha Blackburn • President Obama
  1. wendell

Well maybe he needs to shoot someone like Cheney did and then they might believe him.

January 29, 2013 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  2. JOSEYWALES

I have been to Camp David and personally loaded the Prez's shotgun. I witnessed his shooting skills. Prove me wrong.

January 29, 2013 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  3. jkane sfl the gop national disgrace party will be swept out like the trash they are in2014 ?

The teaparty hillbilly blackburn will be out in 2014!!!!!

January 29, 2013 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  4. tv22

I think this story is hilarious. The thought of Obama shooting skeet on his private range at his private retreat is kind of funny. I wonder if he ever invites John Kerry down for some goose hunting? It would also be interesting to know what he uses for a weapon. How did he get it? Did he go through a background check? Where was it bought? What type of gun is it? Where does he get the ammo and in what quantities?

January 29, 2013 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. Harry From Pa

Who cares what the president does on his own time, if this was bush nobody would care. We keep calling our nation progressive but sometimes we seem like we digress. It gets tiresome, all these naysayers, extremist, tea-partiers, and fearmongers and conspiracy theorists. So let me guess this congress woman has enough time to make her statement about skeet shooting, but tell me does she have enough time to help pass a budget before no government employee gets paid, or the furloughs start happening?

January 29, 2013 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  6. quinLee

guess the recommendation from Jindal to not be the "stupid party" didn't take.

January 29, 2013 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. jaylee

I think Obama should accept her challlenge. And after their skeet shooting challenge, they should also play
    basketball up to 21.
    Now, depending on the winner of these challenges, they may have to play a game of ping pong
    to determine who has the bigger b@lls.
    I can snap a fly in my office window with a rubberband from across the room.
    Does that make me better than President Obama, or JUSTIFIED in my beliefs?
    I might think so, if I had a small PEA BRAIN in my head.

January 29, 2013 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  8. single mom

He takes pictures of everything he does. If the White House can't produce one, preferably with a guest so the date can be independently confirmed, then I really doubt the president has done this.

January 29, 2013 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  9. Former Republican, now an Independent

Being a native Tennesseean I can tell you that Marsha Blackburn is all about politics and not about what is right fir the people of Tennessee. She is a radical extremist and in my opinion, lives for attention and to see her name in the news. This is just one of her latest stunts to get attention.

January 29, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

I think its wonderful that the GOP has told us all that Obama invented, perfected, and got a patent on lying. All these years, I've been struggling with the notion ( apparently incorrect) that others have lied, but I guess not. The WMDs were real, trickledown would actually produce revenue surpluses, and that Evolution really is a lie from the Pit of Hell. Oh, thank you, GOP, for telling me what to think and how to think! I never could make it through the day without some hate-filled screed from one of you!

January 29, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  11. bluedogboy

Hey Hey NRA, how many kids have been killed today?

January 29, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  12. RES

She probably does not believe he is a Christian either. Not her kind anyway. She is just looking for her 15 minutes of attention. Did not Christ say "turn the other cheek"? Oh that's right, the right-wing only practices what suits their narrow view.

January 29, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  13. Lynda/Minnesota

"It would also be interesting to know what he uses for a weapon. How did he get it? Did he go through a background check? Where was it bought? What type of gun is it?"

No doubt Camp David comes equipped not only with the shooting range, but all the necessary skeet accoutrements as well? Including the shotgun and bird/buckshot.

January 29, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  14. 9hydra

Skeet Shooting is the new birth certificate? Trump better send his investigative team up to Camp David when they get back from Hawaii.

January 29, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  15. Lilli

Can the President say or do anything that isn't challenged by the crazy right-wing nuts????? The hate is real and I'm grateful for all the wonderful people who saw through it and worked to get
    Pres. Obama re-elected! 4 more years and then we'll have Hillary in 2016!!! Love it!

Hillary 2016

January 29, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  16. Chris in NC

Funny. I searched "Marsha Blackburn skeet shooting" on Google Images and nothing showed up. How do we know she's not lying? What a ridiculous story.

January 29, 2013 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  17. Robert

After eight years of a worthless Republican President who ALWAYS lied and accomplished NOTHING, you Repugnants no longer recognize the truth! You fools wouldn't know a FACT if it bit you on the butt! Please explain WHY Obama has any "need" or "obligation" to show PROOF that he actually shoots skeet??!! WTF? This off hand remark about skeet is not important to any discussion about dangerous guns. You Repugnants simply HATE Obama, likely because he has succeeded where Repugnants have FAILED MISERABLY! Well Boo Hoo...

January 29, 2013 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  18. Doc

I'm a Republican, but I think instead of fishing for a Camp David invite to waste time shooting skeet on my dime, the Congresswoman and all of her colleagues should be about the business of cutting the waste from government so that the dollars we do spend get the most return. We can run the government and provide services for those who need, AND trim the debt, if we just get rid of the ridiculous pork and utter waste in our system. Congress should be doing that instead of taking every opportunity to lob verbal grenades over the aisle at political foes. Enough already! What a disgrace.

January 29, 2013 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  19. wisewalt

She never wanted to skeet shoot with Cheney, that would be a good shooting partner for her.

January 29, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. PJ

"Are you kidding me. A congress person felt the need to respond to this?
    *******
    Well, we are talking about Marsha Blackburn, the far right wing airhead that continues to carry the Tea Party banner
    of forever calling the President a liar.

January 29, 2013 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  21. Scott

Obama is a liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' George Bush was a real representative of the American people! We miss you President Bush! No man with a name Hussein will EVER change my God given rights!

January 29, 2013 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  22. lol at the gop

Obama spoke so the gop have to have facts. one I would not go shooting with a red neck from Tennessee. why does this man have to show proof to anyone. if i was him i would say kma gop.

January 29, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  23. much thunder.little rain

i think i will call...B.S....i am not sure he knows anthing about skeet...

January 29, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  24. Dennis Freeman

The Congresswoman is sure worried about, and tackling, the big issues...

January 29, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  25. The Real Tom Paine

-UDidntBuildThat

The Real Tom Paine-I'm sure Marsha Blackburn could beat the President at skeet shooting: after all, he does his job ....
    _____________________________________________________________
    yeah Obama has done his job alright like passing a budget, cutting the deficit, cut spending, giving his buddies taxpayer money, closing gitmo, gave us shovel ready jobs, increase our health insurance, tax the poor and middle class, household income gone down, poverty gone up, double gas prices, cost of living gone up, golf, hang out with basketball players, focus on immigration while the economy is still bad.
    ***********************
    So, is Marsha Blackburn doing her job? Can anyone point to anything she has done in her career, besides making inane pandering comments to the low-IQ voters who send her back to Washington? Has she been worth the investment?

Nope. So ask if she deserves to go back, to collect another 350K during her next term?

January 29, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |