January 28th, 2013
1 year ago

Skeptical congresswoman challenges Obama to skeet shooting match

(CNN) - It's about time for some bipartisan...skeet shooting?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee, joined a chorus of skeptics who questioned President Barack Obama's recent comments about his hobby of skeet shooting, a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks.

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?" Blackburn said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"I tell you what I do think," she later added. "I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

Obama said in an interview published Sunday by The New Republic that he won't ignore the concerns of hunters and sportsmen as his administration pushes for tighter gun laws. To illustrate his point, he added an anecdote about his previously unknown penchant for shooting.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said, responding to a question about whether he had ever fired a gun. He also added he has included guests on his skeet shooting outings.

Some found the comments puzzling and wondered why he hadn't mentioned his gun experience in the high-profile firearm debate over the past six weeks. The remarks especially fired up some conservative blogs and news outlets.

"We had this debate that is ongoing," Blackburn said. "You would have thought it would have been a point of reference."

When asked by Jessica Yellin, CNN's chief White House correspondent, how often the president goes skeet shooting, White House press secretary Jay Carney said earlier Monday that he doesn't know.

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he's done that," Carney said during the daily press briefing.

Pressed further if there was a photograph of the president taking part in the sport, Carney said "There may be, but I haven't seen it."

"Why haven't we heard about it before?" Yellin continued.

"Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs," Carney said.

- CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Marsha Blackburn • President Obama
  1. Alfred-King of Wessex

This man is working to beat Bill Clinton in his use of lies as a means to an end. Anyone who can lie so easily and comfortably has serious psychiatric issues........and we already know of his narcissism. Only someone with contempt for the public.....as so often found in politicians.....partakes in lying with such gusto. We saw that with John Edwards...and tons of other politicians. Obama is king of the mountain in the lie dept.

January 29, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. DRP

They Take pictures of President doing everting but going to the Bathroom , you know if he had been shooting there woulb a picute. I sure when he returns the DC , this next few days there will be a pictuer

January 29, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  3. don

Love to see him shooting skeet, just don't tell him which end to point at the bird.

January 29, 2013 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  4. Max17

ROFL! The Congresswoman already won. She 'go[es] skeet shooting'. The stupidest man on the planet 'do[es] skeet shooting'. No wonder even the Secret Service can't keep the flies away from obama's mouth. He's always talking 'fly food'.

January 29, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  5. Garey

By the way, to the commenters saying that it is called trap shooting, there is a difference. Trap and Skeet are two different size pigeons. The skeet pigeon is about half the size of the normal clay pigeon. And usually the shotgun used is a .410 gauge.

January 29, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  6. FOXYmomma

I don't think I like this new tone at CNN. Boom, just like that they become skeptical journalists willing to doubt the veracity of something Obama says? 'Cause if he would lie about something as insignificant as this, what else might he be willing to fudge the truth about? So if you CNN journalists are now going to begin questioning everything the most powerful person in our government says, you need to think twice about whether or not people like me are going to tolerate it and keep watching.

January 29, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. GamerPaul

Or maybe he's just playing Duck Hunt on the Wii with his daughters at Camp David. Still there could pictures, but Blackburn would still win.

January 29, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  8. sara katz

He thought they said shooting craps not trap shooting.

January 29, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  9. talweewee

Marsha sounds like "The Perfect Female" from an old episode of Andy Griffith (1961). You go, girl!

January 29, 2013 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. richardjstacy

"a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks" Obviously the author has never shot skeet and has no understanding of shooting a shotgun. The objective results in broken skeet but the objective is winning the competition/improving ones aim and you have to aim, not just fire shotguns. What a twerp. To the author the activity is just destructive of innocent clay disks that break when one fires.

January 29, 2013 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  11. Jean, Des Moines, Iowa.

Why isn't this woman working on the many issues facing Congress instead of nit-picking on anything the President says or does?
    Does anyone else notice the latest Faux Noise republican mantra "the President is a liar?" Nearly all of the deprecating remarks published here relate to that. Would you faux noise fans list these lies? Facts only now – I realize that is a word you have to look up first to know what it means.

January 29, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

Uh, oh. Too many silly gun lobbyists "gunning" for a "fight". (It didn't take as long as I thought for the NRA marching orders to find their way to CNNs ticker.)

Such journalistic coordination ought to be commended.

January 29, 2013 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  13. Jduncum

The difference between skeet and trap is where the target is delivered. From a tower, a skeet (dove, duck, teal), from the ground, a trap (quail, pheasant). Ask the president a simple question, if he knows the difference. Or just hand him a shotgun and see how he grips it. A true shooter knows all safety requirements and where to point the muzzle. My guess, he would hold it irresponsibly.

January 29, 2013 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. FAbian

Just makes me wonder, how many undeclared skeet shooters there are in our government. I smell a coverup !

January 29, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  15. Gary Street

How banal can people get? Let's find the most trivial issue...Let's be concerned if President Obama pees standing up or sitting down...I'm sure there are idiots out there that would find something negative about either way.

January 29, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  16. Anna

According to his biography, he first picked up a shotgun in 1994, at North DC's only skeet club, and shot a 38-under par round that included no fewer than 11 holes in one. Satisfied with his performance, he reportedly immediately declared his retirement from the sport.

January 29, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  17. MadMax

If you really want to catch the dear in the head lights, ask the president directly "who's the manufacturer of your shot gun, Mr. President?" Then watch him squirm like a worm on a fish hook. He simply won't know or he'll give that schitt eating smile and wave to the cameras without answering.

His birth certificate from his White House website was fake. Tell me shy we should believe anything this impostor says?

January 29, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  18. Guesteppi

Obama dominates contest. Says "nana nana boo boo, I am better than you you"

January 29, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  19. HenryB

Who cares whether he does this skeet shooting or not. What material difference does it make? We are so ignorant that we have to question everything that everybody says. Who cares except for little people like Marsha Blackburn and those who want to make political hay out of everything?

January 29, 2013 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  20. choomgang

hey "Jean, Des Moines, Iowa." here's a fact – where are his college transcripts? how did he pay for Harvard, let alone the other universities? could he possibly have used "foreign student aid"

January 29, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  21. mccainin4

Ooooh 0oooooh 0oooooooooohh !!! Don't choose her; invite ME! I wanna to to Camp David more than her...

But, then again, doesn't that sound like I'm inviting myself?

January 29, 2013 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  22. Markum

I have shot skeet and sporting clays my whole life and its a great sport. I shoot in a weekly league. Being able to shoot and hunt with my sons has been some of the greatest family time of my life. I don't really care what the President does but I am sure he lying as always in order to frame his agenda. There is no limit to how low he will sink. Hey God Bless the President but I don't trust him.

January 29, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  23. Ione

Who gives a rats behind if the President has or has not shot firearms?
    Either way does not alter the fact he is attempting to make several changes to the laws that would in most likelihood have an affect of fewer shootings by deranged individuals.

January 29, 2013 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  24. Peter/ Melbourne

Obama lied about shooting skeet. Guns shoot themselves; people don't.

January 29, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  25. Larry

@ Garey....Ummm No not really. Same size clays are used for skeet, trap, sporting or 5 stand. There ARE some other size targets normally used for a few presentations in Sporting Clays and 5-Stand particualrly at the comptetative level, but std clays can and are used for all. And 12 GA is the most typical for any "clay" shooting. Some will prefer 20ga (less recoil) and younger folks perhaps .410 but normally 12 ga. At least here in TX.

January 29, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |