January 28th, 2013

Skeptical congresswoman challenges Obama to skeet shooting match

(CNN) - It's about time for some bipartisan...skeet shooting?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee, joined a chorus of skeptics who questioned President Barack Obama's recent comments about his hobby of skeet shooting, a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks.

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?" Blackburn said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"I tell you what I do think," she later added. "I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

Obama said in an interview published Sunday by The New Republic that he won't ignore the concerns of hunters and sportsmen as his administration pushes for tighter gun laws. To illustrate his point, he added an anecdote about his previously unknown penchant for shooting.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said, responding to a question about whether he had ever fired a gun. He also added he has included guests on his skeet shooting outings.

Some found the comments puzzling and wondered why he hadn't mentioned his gun experience in the high-profile firearm debate over the past six weeks. The remarks especially fired up some conservative blogs and news outlets.

"We had this debate that is ongoing," Blackburn said. "You would have thought it would have been a point of reference."

When asked by Jessica Yellin, CNN's chief White House correspondent, how often the president goes skeet shooting, White House press secretary Jay Carney said earlier Monday that he doesn't know.

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he's done that," Carney said during the daily press briefing.

Pressed further if there was a photograph of the president taking part in the sport, Carney said "There may be, but I haven't seen it."

"Why haven't we heard about it before?" Yellin continued.

"Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs," Carney said.

- CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Marsha Blackburn • President Obama
  1. Sniffit

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?...I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

What she really meant to say was:

"If he is a natural born citizen, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen a birth certificate? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?...I think he should invite me to hawaii, and I'll go re-enact his birth with him and I bet I magically end up in Kenya."

January 29, 2013 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  2. Stephen in VA

So while the Republicans are chewing this up, loving calling the President a liar once again, with brilliant stuff like "he didn't say shoot skeet right, so he must never have done it," they're just continuing to prove to us moderates that we made the right choice last November. They keep it up, we'll make sure to make the right choices in 2014.

January 29, 2013 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  3. Nick

I'd pay money to see that skeet shooting match. And Obama would no doubt lose. I'd be surprised if he even knew how to load the weapon. As to whether he actually does it? No doubt it would anger the anti-gun lobby, so I'm skeptical – like many things, he's trying to ingratiate himself to get his agenda passed. Truth never enters the equation. Just like Julia, a composite figure they continue to leverage when the message suits them.

January 29, 2013 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Conservative Liberal wrote:

What a goofball! He didn't say he was good at it.
    -----------------
    Which is probably exactly why he's never mentioned it before. With lanes in the basement of the White House, Obama may bowl quite frequently. But after that embarassing display on a campaign stop, I can understand why he doesn't talk about his bowling.

January 29, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

"Skeet, skeet, skeet".
    Tee hee hee!
    Sniffit...you dog you! LOL!

January 29, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. e1nino (Bill Watson)

My fibfilter is snapping and popping. Skeet shooters shoot skeet, they don't "do skeet shooting." His language betrays him.

January 29, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  7. Jon

You libs are hiliarious. You really believe that if were actually skeet shooting that he'd pass on that photo op? And not take a chance on luring some NRA votes?

Give me a break.

January 29, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. Jack

Oh wow. Big investigative reporting. Does Obama skeet shoot a lot of just sometimes. Hmm. What a waste of time. Who cares except the media looking for a scoop or some ex-birthers looking for anything. Hey why hasn't Donald Trump jumped in?. Obama probably skeet shoots "whenever." Which is about as often as I do and not worth mentioning. Must be a slow new cycle.

January 29, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. rs

The GOP and supporters are really not payinmg attention. This is almost Pavlovian.
    A). Insert story in press.
    B.) Let it work through the Right-wing hate machine.
    C.) Republicans fall all over eachother decrying more suppossed Obama lies.
    D.) The whole "Birther" nonsense re-surfaces, along with every other half-baked, GOP-inspired conspiracy theory.

Which in the end convices us here amoung the majority that we all made a VERY correct decision in electing the President. The GOP is just a dog-whistle response team.

January 29, 2013 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. Zenger Folkman

"Trap and Skeet are two different size pigeons. The skeet pigeon is about half the size of the normal clay pigeon. And usually the shotgun used is a .410 gauge." Thanks! Now we can finally have an informed discussion about this!

January 29, 2013 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. Lisa P.

Jon

Give me a break.
    January 29, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh, I don't know. I could see him keeping it quiet just to provoke this kind of reaction from the Teapublicans - President Obama has a very dry sense of humor. You folks have no idea how funny you are when you overreact on zero evidence of anything. Even better, the nothing you just made up always somehow magically fits into the Big Imaginary Conspiracy that "explains" everything, ever. The President must find it very hard to resist.

January 29, 2013 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  12. Wake up People!

The republikkkan circus would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. Do they really think there are pictures of EVERYTHING the man does??? By their rationale, the fact there probably aren't any pictures of me running track or doing the long jump while in high school..... Does that mean I didn't do it?? All of this BS about shooting skeet(Good one Sniffit), yet isn't this the same group of people that felt it was alright to vote for a blatant liar that refused to even show his taxes?? Look up hypocrites in the dictionary and you should see their pictures. Romney, Newt, Lyin Ryan, Rush, etc.

January 29, 2013 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  13. Kent

This looks like Dukakis in a tank. Lame

January 29, 2013 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  14. rs

I guess that "stop being the stupid party" pledge didn't work in this case, eh?

January 29, 2013 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. Darlis

I haven't seen a photo of Marsha Blackburn skeet shooting either, and I reallh don't give a rip... Grow up folks and try to figure out if stupid stuff like this is why you lost the last election!!!

January 29, 2013 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  16. GI Joe

She shore is purty - all us men gotta vote fer her. ha ha a ha ha ha ha ha

January 29, 2013 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  17. Anonymous

I really cant believe these is news.

January 29, 2013 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  18. dwp19542004

i would love to see the little colored boy sheet shooting cause i would enjoy missing my target and hitting the boy instead

January 29, 2013 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  19. Woman In California

This story will make it impossible for the president to win his "third" term.

January 29, 2013 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  20. Shelt3

Skeetgate! Whether the President has tried skeet shooting is an issue way bigger than the economy, immigration reform, or the war in Afghanistan. The GOP has once again clearly identified the important issue to focus upon. Skeetgate will clearly impact the future of our country.

January 29, 2013 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  21. Jack

Does it Matter! Ms. Blackburn. Get your work done! This petty crab is for kindergarter's

January 29, 2013 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  22. Ratt

BS Carney, the sob ain't never shot skeet.

January 29, 2013 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  23. Norm

The republicans are such a nasty subhuman batch of degenerates.
    They can't deal with a brown man in the White House.
    It's as simple as that.
    Pathetic...

January 29, 2013 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  24. JesterX212

Can't this man say ANYTHING without some brainless conserve jumping down his throat?

January 29, 2013 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  25. Hogan's Goat

Sorry, I don't trust her not to shoot the president and I bet the Secret Service feels the same way. She's clearly disloyal. Can she show a long-form birth certificate?

January 29, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |