January 28th, 2013

Skeptical congresswoman challenges Obama to skeet shooting match

(CNN) - It's about time for some bipartisan...skeet shooting?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee, joined a chorus of skeptics who questioned President Barack Obama's recent comments about his hobby of skeet shooting, a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks.

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?" Blackburn said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"I tell you what I do think," she later added. "I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

Obama said in an interview published Sunday by The New Republic that he won't ignore the concerns of hunters and sportsmen as his administration pushes for tighter gun laws. To illustrate his point, he added an anecdote about his previously unknown penchant for shooting.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said, responding to a question about whether he had ever fired a gun. He also added he has included guests on his skeet shooting outings.

Some found the comments puzzling and wondered why he hadn't mentioned his gun experience in the high-profile firearm debate over the past six weeks. The remarks especially fired up some conservative blogs and news outlets.

"We had this debate that is ongoing," Blackburn said. "You would have thought it would have been a point of reference."

When asked by Jessica Yellin, CNN's chief White House correspondent, how often the president goes skeet shooting, White House press secretary Jay Carney said earlier Monday that he doesn't know.

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he's done that," Carney said during the daily press briefing.

Pressed further if there was a photograph of the president taking part in the sport, Carney said "There may be, but I haven't seen it."

"Why haven't we heard about it before?" Yellin continued.

"Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs," Carney said.

- CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Marsha Blackburn • President Obama
  1. Mark

He's just pandering to his potential voters. And interestingly, some will buy it and feel that he is an every man's man because he shoots guns. Yet another reason that I don't vote–because I see through the BS and realize that politicians are in it for them and only do what it takes to get them or their part re-elected. And citizens actually buy it . . .

January 28, 2013 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  2. Steven Brooks

Empty of actual criticism, the trolls in our Congress resort to nonsense.

January 28, 2013 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  3. Bystander

This is analogous to that well used line "I am not a racist... I have friend who are ".

January 28, 2013 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  4. dabchick

Over the years the only pictures from Camp David during any administration that I remember, were when entertaining foreign dignitaries. Camp David has always been a place of retreat. Rep. Blackburn should zip her lip.

January 28, 2013 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  5. PhillyGuy

You know, I've never seen so much disrespect in my life for a sitting POTUS. So what if you've never seen him skeet shoot. Let me guess, you people are the same ones that don't believe his birth certificate is real either, right? Everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie to you, because some of you know nothing else but to show stupidity and hatred towards Obama.

The fact that a congresswoman would have the audacity to suggest the POTUS invites her, just so she can possibly prove that he's not in to guns is the height of arrogance and egotism on her part. The POTUS doesn't OWE you anything lady, he's the POTUS! No one did this crap with GWB demanding his birth certificate, or proving that he does this or that by inviting you to Camp David with him.

January 28, 2013 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  6. roro

I bet you would, Blackburn, if your skeet shooting abilities are as sharp as your nasty tongue. You may look all upper class ladylike, but you're still just a smug thug.

January 28, 2013 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  7. spock500

Interesting. I had never before heard of Marsha Blackburn.

January 28, 2013 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  8. w_roos

Dear President Obama, unless you're planning on using her as a skeet, please don't invite her to Camp David (after she already invited herself).

January 28, 2013 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  9. Andrew

These nutburgers also doubted his citizenship.

January 28, 2013 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  10. Veritas

It's hilarious when the anti-2nd Amendment crowd throws out the "I love to shoot/I own a shotgun/I don't want to ban all guns" cards; because the more they talk after making that statement, the more you realize they know nothing about guns or how they work. If anything, that level of ignorance makes THEM the only people (apart from criminals and the mentally ill) who should really have their guns taken away.

A sad, pathetic attempt at trying to convince gun rights advocates that they're "one of us". We know your deeds...

January 28, 2013 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  11. cj

I suggest he flatly reject Blackburn's idea. Cheney comes to mind. We would not want our prez "accidentally" injured now would we? A real man doesn't need to broadcast every shot he fires. Mr. President,stay away from those gun nuts and their deflated egos.

January 28, 2013 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  12. norma jean

May we remind Rep. Blackkburn that there may be a lot of things she doesn't know about the president. and I'm sure he has all the company he needs....She may want the publicity...but he doesn't need it!!!!

January 28, 2013 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  13. NickD

Even if he has only shot four or five times it means he has done it.

Where was the GOP concern about ryans marathon running times or his wild mountain climbing episodes that actually never happened.

January 28, 2013 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  14. Rina

The congresswoman from TN needs to go skeet shooting with Dick Cheney.

January 28, 2013 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  15. Ragin Cajun

WHAT?! We get fed pictures of Obama doing more manly stuff than Putin spins out! C'mon, you can't just admit the Prez exagerated a bit? I knew this was garbage when I first read the President's comments: the Secret Service is going to allow gun play around the President?! I bet not!

January 28, 2013 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  16. ArthurDent

I'm not sure President Obama drink beer, either. He should invite ME to Camp David for a cold one, so we'll know for sure.

January 28, 2013 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  17. Terry

Maybe he didn't say anything, because of these kind of responses. Any American has the right to bear arms. Maybe the president has a hobby.

January 28, 2013 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  18. Bill in Florida

Birtherism, part II

January 28, 2013 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  19. anonoymous

I guess that's one way to get invited to vacation with the president. What a shame anything to avoid real gun control laws. Dont care if she skeet shoots but I do care about nuts like her having guns...

January 28, 2013 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  20. Graham Smith

Marsha makes another significant contribution to her legislative legacy. She keeps a purposeful eye on making Washington work for the people. Keeping her eye on the ball and the bottom-line of the debate, focusing the larger argument for the rest of us who get caught up in the politics of the moment.

January 28, 2013 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  21. youcantfoolme

what a story teller, that liar – in – chief...

January 29, 2013 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  22. fernace

Oh my! Rep. Blackburn is stirring a tempest in her Teapot! And it seems her main objective is to show off her firearms prowess! The point of the discussion about gunsafety isn't which politican owns & uses guns, but why 50,000 Americans are needlessly maimed or killed by this easy to aquire weapon! Obviously, the current laws are too lax or not being enforced! We need to take a page from auto, alcohol & cigarette laws! When an inantimate object that can't operate w/out human intervention causes that amount of harm, then it's time to take a look at how we can prevent that! Just about every law ever implemented has its origin in keeping us safe from eachother or ourselves! Same thing w/gunlaws! Most accidents dealing w/inantimate object are caused by "human error"! What's wrong w/being a bit more diligent w/guncontrol? It sure beats the NRA's suggestions of armed guards in every school & every citizen packin' heat! That's the issue, Marsha, not skeet shooting at Camp David!!

January 29, 2013 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  23. mk1

I doubt Blackburn has any brains. I challenge her to prove it.

January 29, 2013 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  24. ddrew78

Oh my gosh...the President didn't say anything about something that has no bearing on the discussion at hand!!! It's a conspiracy!!!

January 29, 2013 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  25. 99ts

Sure there are lots of things about this President that the congresswoman hasn't a clue about. That is why he is the President and she supports the party of hate.

January 29, 2013 12:23 am at 12:23 am |