January 28th, 2013
1 year ago

Skeptical congresswoman challenges Obama to skeet shooting match

(CNN) - It's about time for some bipartisan...skeet shooting?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee, joined a chorus of skeptics who questioned President Barack Obama's recent comments about his hobby of skeet shooting, a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks.

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?" Blackburn said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"I tell you what I do think," she later added. "I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

Obama said in an interview published Sunday by The New Republic that he won't ignore the concerns of hunters and sportsmen as his administration pushes for tighter gun laws. To illustrate his point, he added an anecdote about his previously unknown penchant for shooting.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said, responding to a question about whether he had ever fired a gun. He also added he has included guests on his skeet shooting outings.

"We had this debate that is ongoing," Blackburn said. "You would have thought it would have been a point of reference."

When asked by Jessica Yellin, CNN's chief White House correspondent, how often the president goes skeet shooting, White House press secretary Jay Carney said earlier Monday that he doesn't know.

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he's done that," Carney said during the daily press briefing.

Pressed further if there was a photograph of the president taking part in the sport, Carney said "There may be, but I haven't seen it."

"Why haven't we heard about it before?" Yellin continued.

"Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs," Carney said.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Marsha Blackburn • President Obama
  1. dah00

Hilarious. Looney bird might want to check on his birth certificate too while she's at it.

January 29, 2013 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  2. fred

His mother and maternal grandparents grew up in Kansas, a rural state with a gun culture. Why would this be surprising?

January 29, 2013 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. Phil

I doubt the President has ever going to the bathroom. I have yet to see a picture of him sitting on a toilet.

If that statement doesn't show you how stupid this Republican nonsense is, then you are a lost cause.

January 29, 2013 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. Zenger Folkman

" this is a fabrication to try and make people believe the president is "just like us"' Uh, "we" don't all shoot skeet. In fact, I'll bet even only a small percetage of you TeaBaggers (already a small minority of US citizens) does so. Most Americans couldn't care less about skeet shooting or whether the president does or doesn't do so.

January 29, 2013 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. djc60

@mec 3:37... CNN is not calling Obama to task on this. Don't believe that for a second. What CNN is doing, is reporting that a conservative is calling him to task on it. I also find it hard to believe after all this time he is suddenly a skeet shooter.

January 29, 2013 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. Cam Spurgeon

Blackburn is one who gives woman a bad name. You can be tough wo being nasty , loudmouthed and abusive to others. UGH!

January 29, 2013 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  7. Bill

Blackburn is a loser and not that bright either.

January 29, 2013 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Is CNN and it's blogs still read WORLDWIDE? Please tell me it no longer is.
    Lord some of the comments posted here by the intellectually-challenged right wing nutjobs are beyond embarrassing.
    People, you're on display to the world. Don't cry when someone drops a bomb on us, they'd probably think they were doing the world a favor ridding it of your mental inertia.

January 29, 2013 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  9. Wake up People!

I've never seen him getting busy.... Does that mean the girls aren't his??

January 29, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. ghostriter

So......after a two year investigation into Fast and Furious which produced zero evidence of wrong doing by anyone in his administration.....

After a two year investigation into Solyndra, which ended abruptly after Paul Ryan was asked about his letter to Biden requesting money from the same stimulus program.......for his campaign donors......to start up an energy company......

After hearings on Benghazi that showed republicans voting against increasing funding for increased security.......and after Mrs Clinton beat down republican questions like tea soaked drum........

This is what you guys have to go with......

January 29, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  11. me

Love this:
    "Some found the comments puzzling and wondered why he hadn't mentioned his gun experience in the high-profile firearm debate over the past six weeks. The remarks especially fired up some conservative blogs and news outlets.

Yeah – because it would have been a completely different reaction if he had said it a month ago, amiright?! rofl

January 29, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  12. Winston

The fact that he said "we do skeet shooting all the time" tells me all I need to know. Anyone who engages in skeet shooting would say "we shoot skeet all the time". He would probably bring a rifle to the range. Hopeless.

January 29, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. old professor

The president would have to choose his companions for skeet shooting very carefully. Most Republicans would be low on the list for obvious reasons. Seems I remember one Republican shooting his partner......Blackburn would certainly have that working against her invitation.

January 29, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. Lisa P.

mec

I, like a lot of people, found the comment very odd and typical out of nowhere-ness that Obama is infamous for. Frankly, I don't believe it. This would have come up FAR earlier in the debates had he really done it. His advisors would have been stomping on his carpet telling him that he should say he shoots.

No, this is a fabrication to try and make people believe the president is "just like us". I'm glad the media, heck even CNN, is calling him to task on it.
    January 29, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm
    ___________________________________________________________________
    NoVa Retired

Yeah, he's just like all of us regular Joes. He understands us. He's one of US. He shoots skeet ALL the time ...just like all of the rest of us take vacations to Martha's Vineyard, Hawaii and African safaris and shoot on up to NYC in a private jet to take our wives out for a date and play more than 100 rounds of golf in four years and take 131 days of vacation during that same period. Right? Yeah, right.
    January 29, 2013 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

mec, I hope you see the problem with the "just like us" angle. If not, NoVa Retire would be happy to explain it to you.

As for his advisors telling him to say he shoots, can you imagine the late-night joke tsunami when they realize *what* he shoots? Remember President Carter and the rabbit? That would be like a large boat wake in comparison. Besides, maybe the President would like to keep some of his rest and relaxation activities non-political. I mean, the guy can't even go out on his back porch without a reminder that there are people out there just waiting to take a shot at him. If he wants to take it out on some clay pigeons once in a while I say let 'im.

January 29, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  15. rl

Another nut case republicon/TBer. I shoot skeet too, and yes she can probably beat me. i never said I was good at it.

January 29, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  16. Vinny

WHO CARES!! if he does or doesn't! Stupidity reigns again!!

January 29, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. alan

How dare this chick challenge the president on anything? The media must believe everything and parrot what they hear.

January 29, 2013 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. RCCA

Here's a pic of Obama with a gun at Camp David http://aboutcampdavid.blogspot.com

January 29, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. RCCA

Here's a pic of Obama with a gun at Camp David: http://aboutcampdavid.blogspot.com

January 29, 2013 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. Rich Henson

You don't have to grow up in rural Kansas to shoot skeet. I grew up in the suburbs of Philly and used to shoot skeet, and target as well. Let me say this anyone who's never done it, it's really not very hard!!! Tennis, basketball, golf, baseball, soccer, sewing, dancing, singing, driving a care are all much much much more challening than learning to shoot straight. Shooting a gun reasonably well takes about 15 minutes of instruction, I'm not so sure what the silly Rep is "bragging" about. Gun safety, however, is a lifetime learning and commitment.

January 29, 2013 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  21. Zenger Folkman

GOP = POS (party of stupid....and that other thing too)

January 29, 2013 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Wake up People!:
    It's going to be a long 4 years........
    -------------------------------------------------
    Only for the haters, and the Birthers, and the Skeeters....lol!
    The majority of us, those who voted him back in, and those who have seen the light since his re-election, for those of us it'll be just but the blink of an eye. He has a lot to accomplish, but at least this time around he knows that we've got his back.

January 29, 2013 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. Mark

You Democrats never get the point, do you? He's a LIAR. How many LIES does he have to tell before you will EVER get it? You could at least admit he lied but you still like his policies. And before you start spouting any tired junk about Bush, remember this guy was supposed to be so much BETTER than Bush.

January 29, 2013 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Really? In the DEBATES? "Tell 'em you SKEET shoot"? Really???????
    Don't you realize that this would make NO difference to a human being of average intelligence, much less to anyone that would actually consider themselves intelligent?
    No. I guess you don't and you would'nt.

January 29, 2013 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. don in albuquerque

I agree with Vinny-WHO CARES!!! Apparently Blackburn has nothing better too do then jump on the Prez over this. Why not try GOVERNING?? I think we have a few other problems that are (now stick with me on this, I know it is a streach) more important. This woman needs to be put back in the private sector and SOON.

January 29, 2013 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |