January 28th, 2013
1 year ago

Skeptical congresswoman challenges Obama to skeet shooting match

(CNN) - It's about time for some bipartisan...skeet shooting?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee, joined a chorus of skeptics who questioned President Barack Obama's recent comments about his hobby of skeet shooting, a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks.

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?" Blackburn said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"I tell you what I do think," she later added. "I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

Obama said in an interview published Sunday by The New Republic that he won't ignore the concerns of hunters and sportsmen as his administration pushes for tighter gun laws. To illustrate his point, he added an anecdote about his previously unknown penchant for shooting.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said, responding to a question about whether he had ever fired a gun. He also added he has included guests on his skeet shooting outings.

Some found the comments puzzling and wondered why he hadn't mentioned his gun experience in the high-profile firearm debate over the past six weeks. The remarks especially fired up some conservative blogs and news outlets.

"We had this debate that is ongoing," Blackburn said. "You would have thought it would have been a point of reference."

When asked by Jessica Yellin, CNN's chief White House correspondent, how often the president goes skeet shooting, White House press secretary Jay Carney said earlier Monday that he doesn't know.

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he's done that," Carney said during the daily press briefing.

Pressed further if there was a photograph of the president taking part in the sport, Carney said "There may be, but I haven't seen it."

"Why haven't we heard about it before?" Yellin continued.

"Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs," Carney said.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Marsha Blackburn • President Obama
  1. blake

January 29, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  2. JimmyC

Blake...how do you know? You are a snake–you want to spew venom regardless of the facts or details.

January 29, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

...CNN may I submit to you that you can block my honest posts all you want but when you let stupid people post stupid comments they deserve to be called what they are: stupid.
    I'm sure they appreciate you blocking for them and protecting their wittle feelings.
    Over 500 comments on this bull$# it....This is why people in those countries some of you like to think you're better than, laugh in our faces. Is NOTHING else happening in the world today?

January 29, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  4. David

Impeached on what grounds? You not liking him is not grounds.

January 29, 2013 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  5. mrhapiguy

One must keep in mind that the President does not have to worry about ever winning another election.

January 29, 2013 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  6. Glenn Doty

Oh yea,

That's just what the race baiting trash in the conservative blogsphere would have loved to see... pictures of a black man shooting a gun.

I think I can figure out why such an activity would have been done without comment and without pictures.

January 29, 2013 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. TX Dann

Don't trust her. She learned to shoot from Dick Cheney.

January 29, 2013 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  8. terence doc

@ Blake... i question your citizenship...one thing is certain, your
    no patriot with that disrepect to the office of the President

January 29, 2013 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  9. ghostriter

And to all you conservative losers complaining that after spending the past 4 years complaining about everything he does, that you should not only be allowed to continue complaining, but that we should listen and follow suit.....

Sorry Charlie.....As I said, you guys complained the entire 1st 4 years. I, for one am getting tired of laughing at your illogical hate.

January 29, 2013 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  10. samsjmail

Why is skeet shooting relevant to an assault weapons ban, unless you're skeet shooting with an AR-15?

January 29, 2013 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  11. Independent

@Dominican mama 4 Obama....typical of you liberals, name calling is all you can do!!! Well let me try, why don't you go back to the slums you came from and collect your much need walfare check!!! LOL Get a life loser!

January 29, 2013 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  12. don in albuquerque

Ummm, since the right is so excited about calling the Prez a liar, might I remind you of the Romney-Ryan campaign? I believe Mr. Ryan set world marathon records (or something like that) for starters, and Mittwitt seems to have had a very casual relationship with the truth. No need to mention W, who if his lips were moving he was...........

January 29, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  13. Hogan's Goat

" I also find it hard to believe after all this time he is suddenly a skeet shooter." Why? Because he's black? Gimme a break, you guys are so incredibly tiresome. Find one rich person whose never shot skeets. Heck, I'VE shot skeets, I wasn't very good but I wear glasses. But it's nothing like hunting or having a gun to shoot neighbors with, so I can see why it hasn't come up.

January 29, 2013 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. vet in tx

'Ha Ha" – Nelson from the Simpsons

January 29, 2013 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  15. Bob

Question: Are all you gun owners also members of "a well regulated militia" as the Second Amendment stipulates? Anybody? [sound of crickets] I didn't think so.

January 29, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. nonami

OH! the thought of listening to Obama's BS for the next four years ... his DAILY TV appearances, etc. really makes me shudder....

January 29, 2013 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  17. DumbasRocks [R]s

Independently thinking, I'd say typical of you rightwingers to deny reality, and call others losers. Afterall, YOU are the LOSER.....remember Nov. 2008, 2012? LOSER!!!

January 29, 2013 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  18. Lisa P.

blake

January 29, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why stop at "liar" in likening Barack Obama to Hillary Clinton? Did Vince Foster die in vain? Surely Barack also knows where a few bodies are buried because he put them there with a pistol [*gasp*!] Did you really think he would stop at skeet? And how about cookies? What is Barack Obama's opinion of baking, and how do his skills compare to Hillary's? We all might be deeply shocked at the similarities of our 44th President and our 45th (I hope)!

January 29, 2013 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  19. knklhead

Love it. I hope the GOP pushes and pushes and pushes .. and then finally there's a photo that show they're a bunch of bafoons. Really? They need proof that he has a gun? That's like demanding that Boehner has ever had a glass of water at the bar.

January 29, 2013 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  20. Ax

What!? Obama lie!? Say it isn't so!!!
    /end sarcasm

January 29, 2013 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  21. thinking outside the box

Blake – Like Hillary, our current president is a compulsive liar. In this case he lied simply to attempt to connect with hunters while working hard at violating the second amendment. This man is dangerous and not at all trustworthy, he needs to be impeached.

__________________

Regarding the compulsive liar comment all I have to say is this. Paul Ryan – sub 3 hour marathon.

As for the "he needs to be impeached" statement. What impeachable offensive has Obama committed? Or are you in favor of simply impeaching people you don't like?

January 29, 2013 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  22. Ax

@Bob, better go read the 2nd amendment again.

January 29, 2013 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  23. Jim

Well yeah, they " doubted " he was born in Hawaii too. Maybe Blackburn could actually help get a budget passed, then she can go skeet shooting all she wants. Nonsense.

January 29, 2013 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  24. Independent

@DumbasRocks [R]s....see there you go again, typical!!! Also, I am not a repub thank you and infact voted for Obumer the first time around. I was smart enough to see what a worthless president he is and did not vote at all this time around because I did like either candidate!!!! So yes YOU are the loser!

January 29, 2013 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  25. Anthony in California

Nope. Still proving Jindal right.

January 29, 2013 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |