January 28th, 2013

Skeptical congresswoman challenges Obama to skeet shooting match

(CNN) - It's about time for some bipartisan...skeet shooting?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee, joined a chorus of skeptics who questioned President Barack Obama's recent comments about his hobby of skeet shooting, a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks.

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?" Blackburn said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"I tell you what I do think," she later added. "I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

Obama said in an interview published Sunday by The New Republic that he won't ignore the concerns of hunters and sportsmen as his administration pushes for tighter gun laws. To illustrate his point, he added an anecdote about his previously unknown penchant for shooting.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said, responding to a question about whether he had ever fired a gun. He also added he has included guests on his skeet shooting outings.

Some found the comments puzzling and wondered why he hadn't mentioned his gun experience in the high-profile firearm debate over the past six weeks. The remarks especially fired up some conservative blogs and news outlets.

"We had this debate that is ongoing," Blackburn said. "You would have thought it would have been a point of reference."

When asked by Jessica Yellin, CNN's chief White House correspondent, how often the president goes skeet shooting, White House press secretary Jay Carney said earlier Monday that he doesn't know.

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he's done that," Carney said during the daily press briefing.

Pressed further if there was a photograph of the president taking part in the sport, Carney said "There may be, but I haven't seen it."

"Why haven't we heard about it before?" Yellin continued.

"Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs," Carney said.

- CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Marsha Blackburn • President Obama
  1. Renee

That's why those jerks can't get anything done. They are stuck on stupid. I guess the debate for the next 4 yrs will b about the # of Camp David trips or skeetshooting. Blackburn need 2 get to work and stop the pettiness.

January 29, 2013 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  2. DixonIV

I don't believe she is a congress woman. Let's see her do some real legislation... Listen Rep. Blackburn, you are part of the least favorite congress in history. Who cares if you can beat Obama at a sceet shoot except your TP nuts. Get to work and stop demonizing to avoid your job.

January 29, 2013 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  3. JD

If it is proven that he lied about this, then what other lies has he told? Once a liar, always a liar!

January 29, 2013 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  4. Jane S

Please be quiet Marsha Blackburn. You are an embarrasment to Tennessee

January 29, 2013 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  5. Michael Chavez

I want to be on that list to have a friendly skeet shoot with the prez. If there is going to be any wagering, my money is on Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee. I have to admit I believe I feel safer with the prospect of hunting with Cheney than shooting with Obama.

January 29, 2013 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  6. danigirl65

Good God – if the President said it was snowing, the media would ask how big the flakes were – and then go measure them with a team of experts. Where was this microscope when another President decided to occupy a country for about 10 years under false pretenses?? Over 4,000 of our military dead and and an inconceivable number that will never be the same, and how many innocent lives?. . . . . and they are now concerned that there isn't a photograph of the sitting President skeet shooting? Do we really need to publish a picture of a body of a 6 year old with 11 bullet holes in his innocent body for these people to get it?

January 29, 2013 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  7. Jen L

I see. So that he hasn't told people every single one of his hobbies means that he's lying about them and to prove it, he should invite the people who are calling him a liar to do it with him at the highly-exclusive Presidential vacation compound.

I guess that's the only way to get invited once your candidate loses– accuse the winner of lying.

January 29, 2013 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  8. Scotty Starnes

Obama lied. He is the Manti Te'o of skeet shooting.

January 29, 2013 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  9. TNPatriot

I sure wouldn't take Blackburn skeet shooting, after all she reminds of an almost female "buckshot" Cheney.

January 29, 2013 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  10. snakedriver

Blackburn, he said he had shot skeet. He didn't say he was good at it. And growing up in Tennessee like you, I know most of the kids shoot skeet or trap in the summer growing up. So I'd like to know what you, who have probably shot skeet your whole life, beating a guy who has done it at most 8 times in his life has anything to do with anything. What a hind brain thinking witch you are. Tennessee pumps em out like rabbits.

January 29, 2013 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  11. UVikingsLost

Why are the right wing nuts, going nuts? If the President does skeet shooting, what's wrong with that?

January 29, 2013 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  12. Corley

I challenge the representative from Tennessee to have a political party that America will vote for. Do you remember Ronald Reagan?

January 29, 2013 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  13. sam k.

Show some respect congresswoman! I believe he has earned it.

January 29, 2013 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  14. Billy Jack Gisher

if Obama said the sky was blue and it in fact was blue, the right wing of the GOP would call him a liar while looking directly up at a blue sky. this is beyond getting old.

January 29, 2013 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  15. Thomas

Skeet shooting ,
    An over under shotgun vs an assault weapon with 30 round magazines ?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee , Apples and Oranges !

January 29, 2013 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  16. JD

obama, a liar? ya dont say..

January 29, 2013 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  17. pazke

Is Blackburn in 3rd grade?

January 29, 2013 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  18. 277Volt

Every Democrat trying to look good to shooters is always somehow a shotgun shooter. It's a lame move especially when the Second Amendment isn't about hunting or skeet shooting.

What I find ironic is that Obama claims he shoots skeet which is a sport yet he wants to ban the AR's that folks use in sports such as 3-gun and various target competitions.

January 29, 2013 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  19. crowtrob

see you next tuesday, congresswoman

January 29, 2013 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  20. MARVIN WAYNE PALMER, JR

Here we go again!

January 29, 2013 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  21. Animal

Yeah, I'll bet the president shoots. It's a crock of bull. He and his cronies want to ban all guns. That's why he wrote the proposals the way he did. They cover ALL firearms. Just more lies.

January 29, 2013 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  22. Michael J.

Just don't invite Dick Cheney and you should be all set.

January 29, 2013 03:07 am at 3:07 am |
  23. theflyonthewall

having played 'duck hunt' on your nintendo does not count as skeet shooting, mr. president.

January 29, 2013 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  24. harDharhar

Seriously doubt he is an avid marksman nor a capable outdoorsman. I take that back, he was able to capture a sasquatch. And he throws like a girl.

January 29, 2013 04:29 am at 4:29 am |
  25. joesmith

looks like the democrats are solidifying their hold on the body politic, with the immigration bill..eleven million votes were just secured

January 29, 2013 05:12 am at 5:12 am |