January 28th, 2013
1 year ago

Skeptical congresswoman challenges Obama to skeet shooting match

(CNN) - It's about time for some bipartisan...skeet shooting?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee, joined a chorus of skeptics who questioned President Barack Obama's recent comments about his hobby of skeet shooting, a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks.

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?" Blackburn said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"I tell you what I do think," she later added. "I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

Obama said in an interview published Sunday by The New Republic that he won't ignore the concerns of hunters and sportsmen as his administration pushes for tighter gun laws. To illustrate his point, he added an anecdote about his previously unknown penchant for shooting.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said, responding to a question about whether he had ever fired a gun. He also added he has included guests on his skeet shooting outings.

Some found the comments puzzling and wondered why he hadn't mentioned his gun experience in the high-profile firearm debate over the past six weeks. The remarks especially fired up some conservative blogs and news outlets.

"We had this debate that is ongoing," Blackburn said. "You would have thought it would have been a point of reference."

When asked by Jessica Yellin, CNN's chief White House correspondent, how often the president goes skeet shooting, White House press secretary Jay Carney said earlier Monday that he doesn't know.

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he's done that," Carney said during the daily press briefing.

Pressed further if there was a photograph of the president taking part in the sport, Carney said "There may be, but I haven't seen it."

"Why haven't we heard about it before?" Yellin continued.

"Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs," Carney said.

- CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Marsha Blackburn • President Obama
  1. clarke

Well were are her Photo's and why haven't I heard that she also does skeet shooting? Does she have nothing else to do in her state than track Obama and what he does. Yes my statement is silly, but then so is this article and what she said. Get a grip and do the job people voted you to do. Really.

January 29, 2013 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  2. John

Well I also would like to challenge the president to a skeet shooting contest. Now I'm probably not the best skeet shooter you'll ever meet, but a chance to meet the president, and shoot would be a dream come true for me !! hehe

January 29, 2013 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  3. Disgusted

Hi "I shoot guns too" comment sounds like the comments that are considered racist: "some of my best firends are...." Didn't believe it when he said it and neither does anyone we know. He is being patronizing again.

January 29, 2013 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  4. Rosa, b'ham al

Wow, this is about as stupid as it gets. Who cares?

January 29, 2013 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  5. moron

Careful there. Obama "writes better speeches than his speech writers." Knows more foreign policy than SOS. Can beat LeBron at basketball, he got much experience riding the pine in hs. Bowls 300 every time out, gutter balls count as strikes in the special olympics? American History genius, knows all about our 57 states.

January 29, 2013 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  6. Met

Oh, for the love of goodness!!! Who fricken cares?? Someone always has to make a big deal about absolutely nothing!!!

January 29, 2013 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  7. Facts don't Lie

Isn't funny that certain members of the GOP have to challenge the president on almost EVERYTHING he says and does. Obama said he went skeet shooting but I don't recall him saying that he was any good at it. Seems to me the point he was trying to make is that he is not "anti-gun" like the NRA and GOP hacks are trying to make him out to be. The myth that he wants to take everyone's guns is just ruined if he says he has done something normal responsible gun owners do like skeet shooting for sport. GOP needs to get over itself and try to get in step with the mainstream and not just the FoxNews crowd.

January 29, 2013 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  8. Bob

There are no photos because I don't believe he's gone skeet shooting.

January 29, 2013 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  9. Ajax

So.......Blackburn thinks the President of the United States would actually lie about something so inconsequential? She is, like too many, insulting and without manners. Was she raised in back of an outhouse?

January 29, 2013 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  10. Lisa

So just because you might be better at it than the President is, that somehow indicates he's never gone skeet shooting? Why do we keep electing idiots?

January 29, 2013 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  11. Jules

Oh my God, now the GOP is doubting that President Obama ever went skeet shooting. What a bunch of dingbats. Why would he say it if he has never done it and what the heck does it matter anyway. Take care of business GOP and stop parsing every single word this man says.

January 29, 2013 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  12. Lmb

She doesn't believe him without proof. Wonder if this 'doubting Thomas ' believes in the bible?

January 29, 2013 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  13. TomInRochNY

Okay, I still want to see Mitt's 2009 tax returns. But, now I want to see photos of Obama skeet shooting.

January 29, 2013 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  14. Jessica

Wait he goes there to spend time with family and friends and not produce pictures, but when he plays basketball we see pictures all the time

January 29, 2013 07:53 am at 7:53 am |
  15. Stephanie

Yeah, sure you do. Wink, wink, nod, nod.

January 29, 2013 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  16. Thom Hartt

The Birther crowd is back. Anything to criticize the President.

January 29, 2013 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  17. RINO Bill

Here is a good rule of thumb. Democrats will lie about gun control. Their goal is to ban ALL firearms. Republicans will always lie about climate change and the envirnonment. Their rich donors can't afford to have the neccessary restrictions in place or they would loose their place among the one percenters.

January 29, 2013 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  18. DeadSerious

Carney said: "Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs."

I'm hard pressed to believe anything is off limits for a photo op for the DC crowd. Projecting an image is an integral part of their careers.

The "beer summit" was a big media item. Maybe Rep. Blackburn and the President can be pressured into a "skeet summit."

January 29, 2013 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  19. Shannon

My spouse works with five year olds who are more mature than our elected officials. It is our fault for electing them, but theirs for being idiots.

January 29, 2013 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  20. John

Republicans denied his Citizenship, his Christianity, his race, his birth certificate. Nothing new here, nothing new.

January 29, 2013 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  21. Mack

Geez...so petty. Will the nutbars ever give the guy a break.

January 29, 2013 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  22. uncdig

the problem is Obama is like the little kid who constantly tells little white lies, no one beleives him. It's just his way to trying to fit in & get people to like him.

January 29, 2013 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  23. Mack

At least Faux News will have something else to whine about besides Benghazi

January 29, 2013 08:16 am at 8:16 am |
  24. Robsssss

From birther to skeeter, huh ?

January 29, 2013 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  25. Mack

This is a good example of why the GOP is becoming irrlelevant

January 29, 2013 08:17 am at 8:17 am |