January 28th, 2013
1 year ago

Skeptical congresswoman challenges Obama to skeet shooting match

(CNN) - It's about time for some bipartisan...skeet shooting?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee, joined a chorus of skeptics who questioned President Barack Obama's recent comments about his hobby of skeet shooting, a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks.

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?" Blackburn said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"I tell you what I do think," she later added. "I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

Obama said in an interview published Sunday by The New Republic that he won't ignore the concerns of hunters and sportsmen as his administration pushes for tighter gun laws. To illustrate his point, he added an anecdote about his previously unknown penchant for shooting.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said, responding to a question about whether he had ever fired a gun. He also added he has included guests on his skeet shooting outings.

Some found the comments puzzling and wondered why he hadn't mentioned his gun experience in the high-profile firearm debate over the past six weeks. The remarks especially fired up some conservative blogs and news outlets.

"We had this debate that is ongoing," Blackburn said. "You would have thought it would have been a point of reference."

When asked by Jessica Yellin, CNN's chief White House correspondent, how often the president goes skeet shooting, White House press secretary Jay Carney said earlier Monday that he doesn't know.

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he's done that," Carney said during the daily press briefing.

Pressed further if there was a photograph of the president taking part in the sport, Carney said "There may be, but I haven't seen it."

"Why haven't we heard about it before?" Yellin continued.

"Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs," Carney said.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Marsha Blackburn • President Obama
  1. rosemary

The scaryist thing with all these posts, is how many people don't have any problem with the President of the United States telling whoppers. They seem to accept it and think it's no big deal. I guess that's the Democrat lifestyle.

January 29, 2013 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  2. Mike

I bet he sucks at it. I'd like to see the photo of him smoking a cigarette while shooting clay pidgeons off the roof of the White House. No, wait, that was Joe Biden.

January 29, 2013 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  3. Walter Adams

Why does it matter? President Obama probably has fired a shotgun at Camp David and didn't get aroused like some knee-jerk gun lovers. Why does it matter? None of the rights in the Bill of Rights are absolute. Shooting deaths have reached an epidemic level in our country, and saner heads see the need to do something about it. Just as freedom of speech does not include yelling "Fire!" for fun in a crowded theater, the freedom to own a lethal weapon does not mean sacrificing people's safety. One need not have owned a firearm or even shot a firearm to advocate for rational behavior. No one suspects that the reason cars are registered is so that the government can confiscate them, but when it comes to registering a weapon that is just as lethal as a car when misused, all government haters are absolutely sure that the government wants to confiscate their guns. Just exactly when did crazy become the norm in our nation?

January 29, 2013 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  4. Bill

So let me make sure I have this correct....Obama is a Socialist, Communist, Muslim who was born in Kenya and enjoys skeet shooting.....Wow sounds like a well rounded guy to me :+)

January 29, 2013 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  5. gunter

Scotty, perfect analogy. For you Marsha Blackburn nae sayers, this is not about her willingness to skeet shoot with OBozo. It's about HIS truthfullness, or lack thereof. I'm betting on the latter. Just another one of his less than forthright comments. The only thing more stupid than OBama, are the sheeple who put this jagoff back into office.

January 29, 2013 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

Hey GOP, the dust bin of history, here it comes. You folks really seem to enjoy cliff diving.

January 29, 2013 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  7. Michael Dirmeier

I’m betting he asks for a marksman to be over the knoll, shooting at his clay targets.

“Mr. President, I know your skeet exploded, but I heard a shotgun and a rifle shot. What’s going on?”

“Madam Senator, if you don’t want to be the next one shot, you’ll just have to agree that I shoot skeet better than you do.”

January 29, 2013 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  8. Facts don't Lie

"Show us your birth certificate"
    "Show us your college transcripts"
    "Show us your skeet shooting pictures"
    Sound familiar? I bet there is some conspiracy theroy brewing on the right as we speak about "gun crazed Obama" and how he wants to take away evrybody's guns except his own skeet shooting rifle. I bet if the president said he shot a rifle at a carnaval and won a teddy bear for the wife Blackburn would question that too.

January 29, 2013 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  9. dookhh

No, Mr president, the barrel points the other way, towards the skeet. Those "bullet things" are called "shotgun shells' mr. president. Yes, Mr. president the gun won't shoot with the safety on. No Mr president, you have eject the shell your self as well as aim the weapon yourself. Yes Mr.president, they always fly that fast, no we don't have any slower or self destructing clay pigeons.....

January 29, 2013 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  10. Red Dog

Thomas Jefferson and John Adams enjoyed skeet shooting too. That's why they wrote the 2nd Amendment. To protect the right of all Americans to shoot skeet. Isn't that a fact? (Well, that's what the President would have us believe, anyway.)

January 29, 2013 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  11. plain&simple

Let's all go back to high school ok? Give me a break. GOP ers please go home and stay their until you grow up! Do you REALLY believe Obama is incapable of being able to shoot skeet?? Does it take more coordination than being able to walk and chew gum at the same time? Maybe you need a picture of the president doing that as well!!! I've never gotten the impression from our president that he hates guns or really hates on anyone or anything. That emotion is very evident directed towards him however. Perhaps these stone throwers should stop and let go of their gun long enough to read the bible they are clinging to but don't open often enough to read!

January 29, 2013 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  12. Taniwha

Lmb:

A. Do NOT compare Obozo to the Bible, and
    B. as Reagan said, trust but verify. If he claimed to be pro gun because he shoots skeet ( which would be a dumb point even if true anyway, but after all, he sort of is...) and it turns out he made up the part about the skeet, it would be fair to assume he made up the pro gun part too. And since that being a lie would jive with all his other actions on the subject, well... Inquiring minds want to know.

January 29, 2013 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  13. CSM

Yeah, letting a Republican with a gun near the President is a great idea. (sarcasm quite intended)

January 29, 2013 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  14. Wake up People!

Again a non story about a disrespectful republican, she might as well yell out "you lie".

January 29, 2013 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  15. Willie K.

I'd like to see Marsha Blackburn and Rant Paul in a battle to see who can shoot off their ignorant mouth the loudest. That would be a real contest!

January 29, 2013 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  16. Doyle Wiley, MI

Please keep moving folks, no story to see here, please keep moving.

January 29, 2013 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  17. Rudy NYC

----------
    It is human nature to judge the actions of others by how *you* would act in the same situation. She's saying that because that is what she would have done in a vain attempt to stick feather in her cap. Pres. Obama is not that type of person. I find her remarks to dumb and dumber.

January 29, 2013 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  18. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I hope the President is lying his butt off and that she never gets the chance to prove otherwise.
    I'm sick to death of these people.

January 29, 2013 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  19. Wake up People!

I meant a disrespectful republican in a very red state.

January 29, 2013 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  20. mick

None of the rights in the Bill of Rights is absolute huh?

So I guess you're ok with repealing the right to free speech, women voting etc then?

January 29, 2013 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  21. Anonymous

Rosemary sorry to break it to you on a chat line but most people don't care about skeet shooting in America. And I would say if he is lying it's not a whopper but maybe a Mc Nugget at best. Get over yourselves.

January 29, 2013 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  22. TomNPitt

He's a black man from Chicago, and all these Republicans say he knows nothing about guns. Really? You really think that?

January 29, 2013 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  23. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Facts don't Lie

"Show us your birth certificate"
    "Show us your college transcripts"
    "Show us your skeet shooting pictures"
    -------------------------------------------------
    You ain't never lied! lol!
    Pitiful, really.

January 29, 2013 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  24. Bill

I've done things many times that I don't consider to be a hobby and I don't remember Obama referring to this as one of his. Furthermore, I have no reason to believe that skeet shooting doesn't take place at Camp David or that Obama hasn't tried it. So skeet shooting could easily take place there "all the time" without it being one of his hobbies.

January 29, 2013 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  25. Wake up People!

I'm with Dominican Mama on this one. As usual. LOL.

January 29, 2013 08:42 am at 8:42 am |