January 28th, 2013

Skeptical congresswoman challenges Obama to skeet shooting match

(CNN) - It's about time for some bipartisan...skeet shooting?

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tennessee, joined a chorus of skeptics who questioned President Barack Obama's recent comments about his hobby of skeet shooting, a sport where participants fire shotguns to break airborne clay disks.

"If he is a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn't he referenced this at any point in time?" Blackburn said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"I tell you what I do think," she later added. "I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I'll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I'll beat him."

Obama said in an interview published Sunday by The New Republic that he won't ignore the concerns of hunters and sportsmen as his administration pushes for tighter gun laws. To illustrate his point, he added an anecdote about his previously unknown penchant for shooting.

"Up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," he said, responding to a question about whether he had ever fired a gun. He also added he has included guests on his skeet shooting outings.

Some found the comments puzzling and wondered why he hadn't mentioned his gun experience in the high-profile firearm debate over the past six weeks. The remarks especially fired up some conservative blogs and news outlets.

"We had this debate that is ongoing," Blackburn said. "You would have thought it would have been a point of reference."

When asked by Jessica Yellin, CNN's chief White House correspondent, how often the president goes skeet shooting, White House press secretary Jay Carney said earlier Monday that he doesn't know.

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he's done that," Carney said during the daily press briefing.

Pressed further if there was a photograph of the president taking part in the sport, Carney said "There may be, but I haven't seen it."

"Why haven't we heard about it before?" Yellin continued.

"Because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs," Carney said.

- CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gun control • Marsha Blackburn • President Obama
  1. JOSEYWALES

Some on this thread have stated that they see no evidence that makes them believe the prez is lying. Whats with that? Are there really people who can make such a comment with a straight face? Lord help us if they vote.

January 29, 2013 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  2. PC

Are you kidding me? A congress person felt the need to respond to this? Why would this even be important – did some nutty tea person call her and demand she speak out about skeet shooting, yes skeet shooting. Wow! Sooner or later the American people are going to reach that breaking point whereby the demand everyone in Congress be recalled.

January 29, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  3. Yeoomala

Sounds like another school yard bully....

January 29, 2013 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wake up People!

I'm with Dominican Mama on this one. As usual. LOL.
    -------------------------------------------------
    These folks can wear you out Wake up, can't they?
    It does NOT matter WHAT this man says or does they are all over it like white on rice. No respect. Absolutely none.
    I share most of your opinions as well, and just admire your constancy and resilience without resorting to a "few well-chosen words"! LOL!

January 29, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  5. Anonymous

Forget the "SKEET." Forget the acrimony fomemted by the Liberals, Progressives, Leftists & democrats.........just "please" hold obama to his "promises" & see some jobs! The man is the biggest liar since Nixon! Darn it, keep your promises or don't make them. You make me want to "puke" with your lies!!!

January 29, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  6. CarolinaGirl

Why does the President have to explain his comments or produce a photo of him skeet shooting? People it is a hobby and what he does at Camp David stays at Camp David as well it should. Some of these comments are totally rediculous!

January 29, 2013 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  7. jim

Democrats: "I see no evidence the president is lying, so he must be telling the truth."
    Republicans: "I see no evidence that the president is telling the truth, so he must be lying."

January 29, 2013 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  8. JerseyGeorge

I see Blackburn still has a case of that republican ailment "diarrhea of the mouth".

January 29, 2013 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  9. sonny chapman

Are there any pics. of Macho Man George W. killing an illegal bird while showing off his hunting prowess when he ran against Ann Richards for Gov. of TX. ?

January 29, 2013 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  10. Oakspar77777

I'm not sure how shooting clays makes one qualified to intelligently discuss gun control. Now, if the President target shot with ARs, THEN it would have some signifigance to the issue.

This is the equivalent of saying "I have an understanding of aircraft pioloting, because I drive a car occasionally."

January 29, 2013 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  11. rs

Texas Patriot

There's little more disturbing than seeing "you comment is awaiting moderation". America is just about finished . . . freedom was nice while it lasted.
    ________________________________
    Enlighten us, Tex. What "freedoms" have you lost?

January 29, 2013 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  12. CLT

Brought to you by the same idiots who think he wasn't born in America and that he is not a Christian. Crazy MF's on the right, and they wonder why they lost the General Election.

January 29, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  13. rs

Anonymous
    Nothing will happen until the GOP in the House stop be obstructionist baboons. All they seem to care about is ever more anti-Birth Control and Anti-Abortion law- not jobs (as they promised). Ever hear of the Filibuster? The GOP in the Senate have set a record- the most ever in all American history in just the past 4 years.

When the anti-American GOP is gone- you'll see progress. Until then, not so much.

January 29, 2013 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  14. ham14

I think he was referring to "Duck Hunt" on Nintendo, that's skeet, right?

January 29, 2013 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  15. rs

jim

_________________________________________________
    Actually it goes like this:
    Republcians: "The President said it so I have to be against it".

January 29, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  16. v_mag

What could the President say that the right wingers wouldn't call a lie? They've questioned everything from his birth to the last 5 minutes. This is a bunch of yokels in the depths of denial who will never face reality, never learn from their mistakes, and never get the least inkling of just how out in the ozone they are.

Picture the last tribe of Neanderthals, pushed to the edge of the cliff and refusing to look down at their impending demise. That's your modern GOP.

January 29, 2013 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  17. Gregory

Oh oh, here come the impeachment trials. They finally got him on something.

January 29, 2013 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  18. johnfwd2013

If he is proven not to be a skeet-shooting enthusiast, then he's lied to the American people. An impeachable offiense!!!! Or a really silly controversy generated by the stupid party.

January 29, 2013 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  19. Floyd from Illinois

You would think that, after the birther fiasco, Cons would be a little more timid about trying to play 'gotcha' with this President.

Personally, I hope Obama invites Congresswoman Balckburn up to Camp David for the weekend and, win or lose, takes up her challenge.

Then, after he pays off the friendly bet, asks her if she's going on national news shows with an apology for callilng him a liar.

January 29, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  20. enuff

I have tried skeet shooting... I missed every target...and darn it, I don't have a single photograph to prove it. I guess I'm a liar too. Is this her way of having a Joe Wilson moment?

January 29, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  21. JOSEYWALES

And what, pray tell, does Paul Ryan have to do with this subject?

To listen to ANY politician is to be informed, to believe what they say is to be misinformed. Seeing is believing, to not see and still believe is an act of faith. In a court of law, a video or photo is verifiable proof of fact, without verifiable proof all is hearsay. Would any of us wish to be convicted on hearsay?

January 29, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  22. Wake up People!

@Domincan Mama,
    Thank you for the kind words and you are so right. Sometimes I get so frustrated with these people that I just have to take a break. At least once a week, I say I'm through with this site, then I think about the intelligent people here and I stick around. Yourself, Rudy, Sniffit, Woman in California, Larry L, GOP, and many more. I do love conversing with you all, and I learn a lot. Which is something I love doing.

It's going to be a long 4 years........

January 29, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  23. vonvervengarten

Will it be video taped? I want to see how he handles the recoil.

January 29, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  24. Lynda/Minnesota

Well, the things that knock you right wing folks off your rockers so early in the morning is just plain silly... yes? My husband and I shot skeet together for five years. Looking back, we don't have one photo to prove whether we did or didn't. I'll have to get with the gun club we belonged to back then. Maybe they have a few photos. Then again, maybe it really doesn't matter. My bruised shoulder was enough to make me give up the sport. It just wasn't worth it.

January 29, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  25. Surprised?

Obama lies about everything else when it suits his purpose - so what's the surprise he'd lie about this one, too. What's really great is that I think he relishes in telling his lies and having all you gullible idiots believe whatever he says - I know I find it hilarious!

January 29, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |