January 29th, 2013

Clinton talks future 'adventures'

(CNN) - Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Tuesday in an interview with CNN that she still has "absolutely no plans to run" for president but added she's looking forward to more "adventures" down the road.

"I am lucky because I've been very healthy. I feel great. I've got enormous amounts of energy that have to be harnessed and focused, so I'm very fortunate," she told CNN's Jill Dougherty and Elise Labott. "I'm looking forward to this next chapter in my life, whatever it is."

Pressed further on whether she has ruled out another White House bid, Clinton said; "I have absolutely no plans to run."

"I don't know everything I'll be doing. I'll be working on behalf of women and girls, hopefully writing and speaking, those are the things that I'm planning to do right now," she added.

She also appeared unaware that a super PAC, "Ready for Hillary," had formed recently in support of a possible run.

"Is there really?" Clinton asked.

Her successor, Sen. John Kerry, was confirmed by the Senate Tuesday afternoon.

When Clinton official leaves her post, she'll be capping a run of public service that includes being a first lady, U.S. senator, presidential candidate and the nation's top diplomat.

Asked what it will feel like to suddenly have some free time, Clinton said it's "going to take some adjustment."

"I've been talking to colleagues who left the government earlier, and the most common thing they say to me is don't make any decisions, you have no idea how tired you are," she said.

Clinton has repeatedly brushed aside questions about a potential presidential run and has yet to be specific about her plans. While she has previously said she was not interested in running at all, her answers of late have been less firm.

But Clinton said for now, she's ready for some rest.

"I know it sounds vague because I have never done this before in my life…to have the luxury of nowhere to go nothing to do, no frantic call about calling some leader about some impending crisis," Clinton said. "I'm actually interested to see how that goes."

Her husband, former President Bill Clinton and daughter Chelsea, are both involved in philanthropic and public service efforts. Asked about their plans as a family, Clinton said she's not sure what the next few years will look like.

"I think we'll work all that out, it's going to be fun to talk about what our next adventures might be," she said.

Finishing up the wide-ranging interview, Clinton thanked Dougherty and Labott, two reporters who have covered Clinton extensively over the last four years at the State Department.

"We'll have some adventures and maybe the two of you will come along again sometime," she said.

READ MORE: Exiting State, Clinton looks to writing, speaking

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

1. Sniffit

"Is it even possible to embarrass the Republican Party?"

Nope. That requires a sense of shame and guilt. They lack both.

January 29, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  2. Brian

Please stop, I can't take 4 years of "what if". Let's wait until at least this year is over before the media starts hyping who "might" run in 2016.

January 29, 2013 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  3. scranton

Hillary has a full time adventure just keeping Bill from committing perjury again and blaming some vast right wing conspiracy for it.

January 29, 2013 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  4. Moose

Thats just what we need someone who wont support our people over seas, but to quote her whats the diff ???

January 29, 2013 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Loathstheright

And conservative heads will be exploding....ah, what a wonderful image, conservative heads exploding.

January 29, 2013 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  6. Big Al

Will Donna Brazile, John Lewis, Toni Morrison and every black radio personality label Hilary and Bill Clinton racists the same way they were labeled in 2008? Will most of the democrat super delegates shy away from supporting someone who is 'racist' the way they did in 2008? Will the democrat establishment steal Michigan and Florida and half of Texas, the way they did in 2008?

January 29, 2013 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  7. Clarke

Why can't we just let her do thing, what ever it may be. This is only 2013.

January 29, 2013 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  8. jj

I hope she does have a chance to take a little time off for a good rest. Academics have Sabbaticals to do just that. In the meantime, Hillary's PAC can begin its work and when Hillary is ready, she'll make her move. How can she lose? With her experience and rock star charisma, she will definitely win and give the Democrats and other progressives two more terms to help Americans.

January 29, 2013 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. freedom

Her adventures are going to include more scrutiny over Benghazi – it's not over. She ought not to start celebrating prematurely. "What difference does it make?" Self-incrimination.

January 29, 2013 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  10. kevin

To JJ, Two more terms to help Americans into the poor house, Her tenure as Sec of State was a disaster. open your eyes.

January 29, 2013 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  11. advocatusdiaboli

Is it even possible to embarrass the bald-faced liar Clinton is with her claims of de-boarding a plane amidst gun fire in the Balkans? Nope. She's a Democrat and is confident the media and her president will cover her lies. So far, so good.

January 29, 2013 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  12. Darwin's Ghost

In 2016, Benghazi will be long forgotten by logical, rational thinkers. If she chooses to run, the Presidency is hers for the taking; she'd likely get 60+% of the popular vote with electoral votes approaching 500. If she decides to run, none of the projected big GOP names (Christie, Ryan, Jindahl...) will even run as they recognize what a no win situation it would be. Hope she runs!!

January 29, 2013 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  13. vinster76

I just cannot stomach the thought of beginning the campaigning again, just two months after the last election. The night Obama won, i told my wife I was done with the tv news of ALL stripes......i am much more relaxed, and have spent my time on FAR more meaningful things than watch the news on cable, or even listen to the radio for news......I voted, the country spoke, and I am not tuning in till September 2016......I may not even tune in at all...............

January 29, 2013 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  14. Sam Waters

Good but obvious decision not to announce immediately. Avoids all the nasty questions like "What would you do?" whenever Obama faces a big decision (e.g. Syria). She will be the last one to announce. If her health continues to decline next 3 years no way can she declare.

January 29, 2013 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  15. Marion

JJ wrote:
    jj

I would like to see some journalist interviewing her to ask her "please look into your crystal ball and tell us NOW if you are going to run for president". What idiots they make of themselves.

Did it occur to you that she WON'T run for President in 2016. You act like "when she is ready" means she will run according to all the speculation. How can she lose? The Republicans like Graham, McCain Johnson, Paul, and others will make sure to cast her as a murdering liar and there WILL be those who believe it. This super PAC is going to grab alot of money for her "campaign" and it very well might be a waste based on a DREAM that she would win in a landslide. Not likely as she is still viewed as a very divisive person. I wanted her to win the nomination and the democrats betrayed her in 2008. What makes you think they won't chicken out again?

January 29, 2013 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  16. teachergurrl

That interviewer – Elise.....She needs to improve her social skills and become a little more subtle and relaxed – She acted like a lawyer on a case

January 29, 2013 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. Vijay

Hats off to Hilary for her legacy as secretary of state. She is the one of the best one for that post. Because of her and Obama we had less attack of consulate and embassy only one in 4 yrs. When G W was in WH, there were more than 7 attacks on embassy or consulates attacks. Both Hilary and Obama has very good respect across the world. We will see Hilary going again to White House in January 21, 2017.

January 29, 2013 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  18. clarke

I just can't imagine Mrs. Clinton wanting to be President anymore. Yes, at one time maybe. I feel she would make a great President and she is more than qualified that is for sure. I just wish everyone would go back to the job of getting our Nations issues taken care of and wait on any Elections for President in 2016. Let Mrs. Clinton live her life.

January 29, 2013 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  19. GonzoinHouston

Hey, right winnnng,,, Hillary's gonna runnnnnnnn! And when she does she's gonna winnnnnnn.

If the GOP does not grow a brain, unload the TP, and come back towards the center then all the far-rightys will have to endure the words "President Hillary Clinton".

January 29, 2013 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  20. Henry

Hillary Clinton actually enjoys lying. That may have been that first spark of attraction when she met Bill – Birds of a feather. She says, "She has no plans to run". What does she mean by "plans"? This is one of these disgusting word parsing exercises along the lines of her husband's infamous dodge before the grand jury, "It depends on what the meaning of is, IS".

January 29, 2013 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  21. Independent Voter

She will win in 2016!!!!! Latest polls have her chances of winning at 57%, that's pretty darn high.

January 29, 2013 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  22. Mike

Bye Hilary, nice person!

January 29, 2013 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  23. are122

it's going to be fun to talk about what our next adventures might be," <~~ Lets hope it doesn't include ambassadors.

January 29, 2013 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  24. Wilbur

Supreme Court for life,please!

January 29, 2013 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  25. Nobama

Let's hope one of the 1st things she does ...is GET a hairstyle more becoming to someone in her 60's ......
    .She IS NOT in her 20's.