Immortalized on canvas: Former White House pooch dies
February 1st, 2013

Immortalized on canvas: Former White House pooch dies

(CNN) - President George W. Bush's Scottish Terrier Barney has died, the former president said in a statement Friday. He was 12 and had been suffering from lymphoma.

But Barney lives on, in a sense.

Bush painted an oil portrait of his pup, which his office posted online Friday. Within a half hour, it had drawn nearly 500 likes on Facebook, as well as condolence messages for the former first family.

He signed the painting 43, his presidential number.

"Barney was by my side during our eight years in the White House," Bush said in a statement. "He never discussed politics and was always a faithful friend. Laura and I will miss our pal."

"Barney and I enjoyed the outdoors. He loved to accompany me when I fished for bass at the ranch. He was a fierce armadillo hunter. At Camp David, his favorite activity was chasing golf balls on the chipping green," Bush wrote.

Barney arrived in the White House along with Bush and his staff in 2000. He was a gift to first lady Laura Bush whose birthday is November 4.

He starred in the Bush White House Christmas videos, known as Barney Cam, and was carried aboard presidential aircraft by the president himself. He once nipped a reporter's finger.

The family's other pups included Miss Beazley, another gift to the first lady from her husband and Barney's niece, and Spot, who was the offspring of President George H.W. Bush's dog Millie.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. 1twinsfan

Condolences. Everyone loves their furry family members.

February 1, 2013 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. Mark Hudson

R.I.P. Barney. We loved seeing you run through the White House at Christmas in the videos.

February 1, 2013 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  3. Ben Enya

It's a tragic loss no matter what political side. Everyone loves their furry friends. That won't stop some of you though..Sad really.

February 1, 2013 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  4. WhoKnewIt

So sorry to hear of Barny's passing, he was a beautiful dog. Our sympathy to your family. Loosing a pet is often like losing a family member. I'm sure Barney was well loved and will be missed.

February 1, 2013 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  5. Linda Luttrell

He was such a cutie! RIP, Barney.

February 1, 2013 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  6. musings

I had no idea Bush could paint. There had to be a hidden talent somewhere.

February 1, 2013 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  7. Ted

RIP Barney. In the liberal filtered media world, your owners were constantly bashed at every turn. You, I'm sure, were a faithful, trusting companion of the last true leader we had in the White House.

February 1, 2013 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  8. Squigman

This is sad. RIP Barney.

February 1, 2013 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. rs1201

It's devastating to lose one's pet...it's losing part of the family. My sincere condolences to former President Bush and Laura Bush.

February 1, 2013 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  10. yeswecan2016

Isn't that the same little guy President Bush dropped? RIP little buddy

February 1, 2013 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  11. rs

Pets are special, and we all feel their loss. The fact that Mr. B was almost the highlight of the Bush years makes it that much sadder. Mr. Bush- there are more dogs out there and they need a home. Do the right thing and continue Barney's legacy.

February 1, 2013 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  12. Falstaff

Sweet dog. Rest in peace.

February 1, 2013 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  13. Matt

Who knew he could paint? It's pretty good.

February 1, 2013 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  14. One party politics

Farewell little fellow. My beloved companion is 14 years old and I can't image a day without him.

February 1, 2013 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  15. Joe

Pretty good artwork.

February 2, 2013 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  16. nique

Poor lil bugga. I love my dogs. We can always go into politics about presidents and what they have done. Not a fan of gwb but the lil guy is gone. He had no role to play but was there to make anyone happy (except the reporter :) )

February 2, 2013 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  17. Lizzy10

Condolences. It's hard to lose a pet.

February 2, 2013 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  18. Bill from GA

Good Ol' Barney. I'm sure W and the family will miss him.

February 2, 2013 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  19. saskatchewan canada

RIP Barney.

February 2, 2013 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  20. Pablo

Oof. I'm sorry. It sounds like he had a great life.

February 2, 2013 02:13 am at 2:13 am |
  21. Iamnotfooled

Awwww Sad. So Sorry. Pets are very special. I have lost a lot and I cry like a baby. They become family.

February 2, 2013 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  22. bankrupt1

Condolences to the family. He seems like a nice dog and I'm sure you loved him very much.

February 2, 2013 04:42 am at 4:42 am |
  23. USA

So Sorry for Your Loss. Barney is a Member of the Family :-(

February 2, 2013 04:52 am at 4:52 am |
  24. Jerry

Good looking pooch, that's for sure. I can never understand why idiots would make fun of situations like these. No matter who owned it, this was a beloved pet which ended up being just like family for the Bush's.

Oh well...

February 2, 2013 06:46 am at 6:46 am |
  25. ps

RIP Barney. I will always remember the Barney Cam at Christmas.

February 2, 2013 07:18 am at 7:18 am |