Polls vary on how N.Y. gun laws affect Cuomo
February 4th, 2013
1 year ago

Polls vary on how N.Y. gun laws affect Cuomo

(CNN) – Just how much did the stringent new gun laws pushed by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo affect the Democrat's approval rating?

A Siena Research Institute poll released Monday showed 58% of New York voters approve of the job Cuomo is doing, down from 60% at the beginning of last month. But a Quinnipiac University survey released last week showed a sharper drop in Cuomo's approval rating, from 74% in December to 58% at the end of January.

In Monday's Siena poll, 56% of voters said they would support Cuomo for re-election in 2014, while 36% said they would vote for someone else.

In the aftermath of the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, Cuomo pressed for stringent new gun restrictions in his state, which were passed by the New York legislature in mid-January. The measures included a ban on assault weapons and high capacity magazines, increased penalties for purchasing illegal guns and using guns on school grounds, and a provision strengthening rules governing the mentally ill, including a requirement to report potentially harmful behavior.

"There is no question that Andrew Cuomo spent some of the political capital he had built up in two years as Governor with the recent passage of New York's new gun control law," Siena pollster Steven Greenberg said. "On all three measures – favorability, job performance and re-electability – Cuomo's support among voters dropped a little over the last few weeks."

Despite the drop, however, Cuomo remains popular in New York. Aside from the high approval rating, voters largely view Cuomo favorably. Sixty-seven percent had a favorable view of Cuomo in Monday's poll, while 29% viewed him unfavorably.

Siena's poll Monday showed a large majority of New York voters – 65% - support the new gun laws, compared to 30% who oppose the laws and 5% who aren't sure.

Approval of the gun laws was highest among Democrats, independents, and people who live in the southern part of the state. But a majority of Republicans oppose the measures, as do people who view the NRA favorably.

"Nearly three-quarters of Republicans and those favorable to the NRA, and a solid majority of upstate voters believe the law was rushed through without careful consideration," Greenberg said.

The Siena Research Institute poll was conducted by telephone from 1,154 registered New York voters between January 27 and 31. The sampling error was plus or minus 3.7 percentage points.

Filed under: Andrew Cuomo • Gun rights
  1. Seamus Alehaus

February 4, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. lottie

at least the guy was willing to take a stand.

February 4, 2013 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  3. Tim

As Governor, Cuomo's job is to take the lead and protect the people of his State. He is not there to win over the gun nuts. Go for it, Gov. Cuomo!

February 4, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  4. rs

Seamus Alehaus-
    You must have been asleep for a couple of weeks. Both houses of the NY legislature debated and passed that bill, and Cuomo had a very public signing of same.
    Face it, the majority of New Yorkers (and Americans for that matter) are tired of the NRA's crazy irresponsibility around guns. Nothing that has been proposed affects you one bit if you are an honest, law-abiding citizen.

February 4, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  5. Ancient Texan

If there are any citizens in N.Y. that stand up for the Constitution, the approval number will continue to drop.

February 4, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  6. Gurgyl

I am glad NY has gutsto stand against idiotic NRA thugs. Congrats to Cuomo.

February 4, 2013 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  7. Recon1

Politicians only take a stand when it's advantageous politically to do so. He wouldn't have had the balls to do so before the Connecticut shootings. We all lose when politicians take a stand against the "Bill of Rights" in the name of safety. Americans just get dumber and dumber.

February 4, 2013 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  8. Sniffit

"I have been a loyal Democrat for 39 years. I posted Gov. Cuomo's sign on my lawn two years ago. I am also a gun owner. Because of his draconian gun law shoved through in the middle of the night with no public input I have quit the Democratic Party and registered independent. For the first time in my life I will vote for any Republican who opposes an anti-gun Democrat. My opinion of Gov. Cuomo could not be lower."

Newsflash: Nobody believes posts that start with "I'm a [insert party affiliation]" or "I voted for [insert politician]" and end with "but now, because of this one thing and this one thing only, I'm so out of my mind upset that I'm switching parties even though the otgher guys disagree with me on everything else but this" or some such other permutation of that rant. For all we know, you're being honest, but that line of argument was turned into an astroturfing ploy and abused so much all across the intertubes that its stink cannot be removed.

February 4, 2013 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  9. Al-NY,NY

Ancient Texan

------

where's my bazooka? I have a right to it. Wayne LaPierre, come help me get it. Those socialist lefties are trying to take over the country. Get it Tex??? More and more NY'ers who stand up for the consttution will bring Cuomo's numbers UP, not down. You and the rest of the wild wild west shoot-em-up cowboys need to get a clue

February 4, 2013 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  10. rs

Ancient Texan

_____________________
    Please cite where in the Constitution it shows:
    A.) where we (the citizens) have to put up with crazy people armed to the teeth, or:
    B.) That there are absolutely no limits on any of the Amendments.

February 4, 2013 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  11. Patrick in Wisconsin

I am sick of right wing gun nuts going on about how "this violates my second amendment rights." How bout instead of regurgitating Rush Limbaugh's crap you actually READ the second amendment. If you're not part of the "well regulated militia " the Constitution describes, like the National Guard (which I'm in), law enforcement, or any branch of the military for that matter, you have absolutely no reason to have an M16 with 30 round clips. You do not have a Constitutional right to own such weapons and I'm glad people like Mr. Guomo understands that.

February 4, 2013 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

Yesterday on "Fox News Sunday" LaPierre was speaking against high capacity magazine bans. He said something about how "citizens" should not be subjected to "some politician's opinion" of how many rounds someone needs. Apparently he didn't notice that he was a lobbyist espousing his own opinion of many rounds someone needs. Mike Wallace chewed up on several topics, "ridiculous".

February 4, 2013 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  13. tony

Listen people no one wants to take your guns away we just want keep them from getting into the hands of criminals and crazy people, i am really tired of reading some you low or no information posters, read more find out for your selves people.

February 4, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  14. Dan

AI-NY,NY

------–

If you've paid any attention to supreme court decisions regarding the 2A, you'd understand the inanity of your statement and the unconstitutonality of banning and limiting small arms commonly owned for defense by the people of the United States of America. Bazooka, no, that's idiotic. Standard-capacity semi-automatic rifle? Yes. Please read about the Militia Act of 1903, US vs Miller, and 2008's DC vs Heller, especially Scalia's comments regarding small arms. Also read about the DHS classifications of suitable weapons for defense, which includes semi-automatic rifles like the AR-15 at their standard capacity (30 rounds, usually).

Or you can pretend that people who support constitutional law are cowboys.

February 4, 2013 11:50 am at 11:50 am |