Hillary Clinton stokes 2016 speculation with website
Clinton's photo from her website at left and a photo of Clinton on her last day at the state department at right.
February 5th, 2013
1 year ago

Hillary Clinton stokes 2016 speculation with website

(CNN) - If a picture says a thousand words, some may be reading this one as "Hillary Clinton 2016."

An attention-grabbing photo of Clinton - without the glasses she has worn since her recent concussion - boldly sits atop a new website, HillaryClintonOffice.com, which was registered on January 31 as she left her post as secretary of state last week.

Only further stirring the speculation: visitors to her old campaign website, HillaryClinton.com, are offered a link to the new website "to reach the Office of Hillary Clinton."

A source close to Clinton said the site was created to help people contact her with questions and scheduling requests now that she is no longer in her government post.

The new online presence is sparse: besides the attention-grabbing photo, there's a form to contact Clinton and the site's privacy policy. The photo, a separate source said, was not a professional portrait but a picture which Clinton liked.

While the purchasers of domain names are generally available publicly, this site was purchased through a service allowing the purchaser to remain anonymous.

Her original site HillaryClinton.com, which links to the new site, is funded by Friends of Hillary, which is the remaining shell of her 2000 Senate campaign.

Even though the next race for the White House is a long way away, there's already intense speculation over whether Clinton will make a second bid for president.

When asked last week at a global town hall if she was thinking of making another run for the White House, Clinton said "I am not thinking about anything like that right now."

And in an interview with CNN later that day, when asked if she's decided against another candidacy for president, Clinton responded that "I have absolutely no plans to run."

But she added that "I am lucky because I've been very healthy. I feel great. I've got enormous amounts of energy that have to be harnessed and focused, so I'm very fortunate. I'm looking forward to this next chapter in my life, whatever it is."

As to what that next chapter would be, Clinton gave a hint, saying "I don't know everything I'll be doing. I'll be working on behalf of women and girls, hopefully writing and speaking, those are the things that I'm planning to do right now," she added.

Clinton's returning to private life with some poll numbers any politician would love. Nearly seven in ten in an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll conducted last month said they approved of the job she was doing as America's top diplomat. and two-thirds in an ABC News/Washington Post survey also conducted last month said they had a favorable impression of her.

But two things - there was a partisan divide in both polls - with only a minority of Republicans giving her the thumbs up –and if she becomes a politician again - she could see those sky high numbers come down a bit.

– CNN's Elise Labott and Peter Hamby contributed to this report

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Randy, San Francisco

With a little R & R, Hillary will be ready to make a strong run for the presidency in 2012. There is no one in the Republican/Tea Party with her stature or credentials. Hillary for president in 2016!

February 5, 2013 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  2. rad666

U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens will not be voting in 2016.

February 5, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  3. Nick

Christie could beat her

February 5, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  4. Mauri

After a successful job as Secretary of State, along with many years in the political spotlight, one would think Hillary would be ready to put all the misery associated with a run for the presidency behind her. This, we would like to see.

February 5, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  5. Evelyne

Hillary. I would like to thank you for your tremendous service to your country. Your family inspires me everyday to beca better person. I'm 46 years old and I decided to go back to school to pursue my bachelors degree because of you. Your run for president inspired me to better myself as a woman. Please run in 2016.

February 5, 2013 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  6. chupacabra

By the time 2016 gets here the nation will be tired of democrats and the national debt should be in excess of 20 trillion.

February 5, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  7. critical thinking

Benghazi comment : "What difference does it make now" ?

No Presidency for you Hill, NEXT!

February 5, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  8. Peg

Ha, the Republican's aren't about to let Christie run after he made nice with Pres. Obama.

February 5, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  9. randomname84

Electing the same families into power is foolish. Maybe after Hillary we can just put another Kennedy in there. And hey, why not another Bush? Let's just have the same 3 or 4 families rule over us in perpetuity.

February 5, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  10. phoenix86

She's completely incompetent but is better than Obama. She led 4 years of failure at State (Honduras, Russian reset, Libya, Iran, N. Korea, etc.). Hey, that certainly qualifies her as a leading democrat.

February 5, 2013 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  11. Kevin

I'm a true Independent and I'll support Hillary in 2016!!! She was a great Secretary of State. I truly believe the Libya incident was not her fault. I think she was told to take blame. She would win multiple southern states in the General Election.

February 5, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  12. Lionel

Go Hillary, Go Hillary. You will have millions of supportors and volunteers.

I do hope that you run and crush the Republican / Tea Bag fringe party.

February 5, 2013 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  13. Lobelia

A normal person, having served in one of the highest posts in US government, would retire gracefully and enjoy her golden years with her husband. I would say President and Secretary of State (and former senator) make for a pretty good resume for a retired couple. But of course she is not a normal person. For her, there is always more.

February 5, 2013 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  14. Ray E. (Georgia)

Aw,Humm,
    With Hillary it is about getting even. She has a lot of old scores, (In her mind) to settle. So running again isn't out of the question. Talk about ramming your head thru brick walls. And Bill wants to get back in the White House so bad he can taste it. Lead on ! It's what you all need, right ?

February 5, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  15. n222s

Lobelia, "enjoy her golden years with her husband"??? Are you serious. Do you really believe they have a marriage based upon mutual love and respect? Love them or hate them, nobody buys that BS any more.

February 5, 2013 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  16. SuperD

You fools, we are about to embark on a bad war in the Middle East, she's got her fingerprints all over it.

Why do you DEMS treat your Pols like they are gods? Hillary and Obama are utter failures in leadership, yet no matter how bad they screw up, you just love them even more.

Nobody is going to bank Hillary's run until she pays back her campaign debt.

The last thing the country needs after the Obama debacle is to double down on the stupidity with Hillary. Good Lord people!!

February 5, 2013 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  17. n222s

2016 is a long ways away. The mid east could blow up, terrorist attack, economy stays mediocre or tanks and people tire of Obama blaming everyone else. She has looked tired and shown has relatively poor speaking skills. She lacks charisma and charm. Rubio as Prez or VP candidate, paired with a popular governor or woman.

February 5, 2013 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  18. Sue

The old domain name was better, why change it?

February 5, 2013 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  19. Scott

Dear God,

Please let Hillary Clinton win the Democratic nomination in 2016.

Signed,

The Republican Party

February 5, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  20. Mark

Successful Sec'y of State tenure?? Did you guys miss the Benghazi slaughter?

February 5, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. j33

I am sure the democrats will be happy if Hillary becomes the president. She can bring back the Clinton tax rates and the imaginary surpluses that so many democrats boast about. Everyone will be talking about Clinton tax increases instead of Bush tax cuts.

February 5, 2013 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  22. Susan

Why lie to the public just to get a hit on your article??? You could of simply said Mrs.Clinton has a new website, check it out! I have no time for news reporters who lie to get a read. HC has no plans to run in 2016 so sayth SHE!

February 5, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |