Christie: 'No one's unbeatable'
February 6th, 2013
1 year ago

Christie: 'No one's unbeatable'

(CNN) - Chris Christie may be sitting pretty in the polls right now, but New Jersey's tough talking Republican governor isn't letting those numbers go to his head as he faces re-election this November.

"Listen, no one's unbeatable, OK. And so, the idea that somehow because you are very popular in February means you are going to be very popular in November – could be, but could not be. There will be a lot of things that will happen in between now and then that will determine that," Christie told reporters Wednesday.

Christie's approval rating among New Jersey voters skyrocketed in a slew of polls starting in November, thanks in part to his very active response to Superstorm Sandy, which struck the Garden State in late October and caused severe damage. But Christie realizes those sky high numbers could be fleeting.

"Listen, there is nobody around who enjoys being at 74% approval more than I do. Listen – if it's 74 or 44, I'll take 74. You know, I mean I have been at both and I know how both feel and I'd much prefer to be at 74. But the fact is that that can change very quickly and I don't expect to get 74% of the vote in November," added Christie.

Christie also reminded reporters that New Jersey is a blue state with registered Democrats greatly outnumbering registered Republicans.

"I think we are doing pretty well when I have reporter in this state who asks a Republican governor `do you think you are unbeatable?' Just the fact that you asked me that question means we are doing OK. Nobody was asking me that four years ago by the way," Christie said.

Polls conducted last month indicated that Christie had a huge lead over state Sen. Barbara Buono, who Democrats are now rallying behind as the consensus challenger to the Republican governor. Those polls were conducted before other potential Democratic candidates decided against bids and Buono emerged as the pick of most party leaders as their gubernatorial nominee.

Christie says he hopes voters will look at his entire record over the past four years when it comes to their decision in the gubernatorial election.

"I would hope that people would make their decision on who to vote for come November based upon the totality of the record over four years. Does the incumbent deserve re-election or doesn't he? Have I been the kind of governor that I promised people I would be? Have I done the job in a way that's made them proud? Do they think New Jersey is better off now than it was four years ago?" added Christie.

New Jersey, along with Virginia, are the only two states to hold gubernatorial contests in the year after a presidential election.

Filed under: 2013 • Chris Christie • New Jersey • Polls
  1. Sniffit

And CNN's sales pitch for Christie continues apace...

February 6, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

I see Christie is taking the pundits advice and trying to humble himself with his "no one is unbeatable (but me)" rhetoric. Beyond saying he is a NJ second term shoe in and sounds like a fool (both at the same time), this Christie coverage is fast becoming one big YAWN factor.

February 6, 2013 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  3. nothing new here

Christie ranks well with many Independents, too.
    We like the fact that he is a fiscal conservative, but leaves the preaching to the preachers on Sunday morning.
    Take a close look, GOP. It is people like Christie that will make or break your party.

February 6, 2013 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  4. Sylvia

He no longer has my vote....

February 6, 2013 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. Rick McDaniel

They can be........when the media pervert the news, slant it, and control it, to make it appear that they can do no wrong!

We have the proof, sitting in the WH!

February 6, 2013 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  6. Gurgyl

This dude better take Democratic stand.

February 6, 2013 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  7. Sheila

I would never vote for him – and the people that I talk to, wouldn't either.

February 6, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

"No one's unbeatable." Didn't Mitt Romney teach the GOTP that lesson already?

February 6, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He might win because of his size (of his election campaign fund). He can get more money and spend it easier than Buono. That might be her biggest problem. She speaks for the people but doesn't have the money to get out the word.

February 6, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. Moose

@rudy, what a true piece of fodder you are, if bamman passed, youd burp !!!!

February 6, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Karl Rove didn't get that message, he still believes he's unbeatable. LOL

February 6, 2013 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |