In Christie's defense: Top Democrat weighs in
February 8th, 2013

In Christie's defense: Top Democrat weighs in

(CNN) - Chris Christie has found a defender amid the latest hubbub over his weight.

David Axelrod, the former top adviser to President Barack Obama, wrote on Twitter Friday:

The doctor is Connie Mariano, the former White House doctor who tended to former President Bill Clinton from 1992-2001. She told CNN Tuesday that she was concerned about Christie's health should he seek the presidency.

"I'm a physician more than I'm a Democrat or Republican and I'm worried about this man dying in office," she said.

On Wednesday the New Jersey Republican fired back at Mariano's assessment, describing her as "just another hack who wants five minutes on TV."

"If she wants to get on a plane and come here to New Jersey and ask me if she wants to examine me and review my medical history, I will have a conversation with her about that," Christie said after touring the post-Superstorm Sandy reconstruction effort in Sea Girt, New Jersey.

"Until that time she should shut up," he fired. The doctor has since stood by her remarks.

Christie has been open about his weight, joking Monday on David Letterman's late night program, "I'm basically the healthiest fat guy you've ever seen in your life." He punctuated the joke by snacking on a doughnut midway through the interview because he "didn't know it was going to be this long."

But he has also talked more frankly about his health, saying Monday that he and his doctors did have a plan for his health, and "whether it'll be successful or not, you'll all be able to notice."

"My doctor continues to warn me that my luck is going to run out relatively soon, so believe me it's something I'm very conscious of," he said.

–CNN's Greg Wallace and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Filed under: Chris Christie • David Axelrod
  1. ted

I think people need to get off Christie's butt about his weight. If he really wants to do the right thing for the right people, then his wife and kids will have more influence in a loving way than any of you jokers. There are bigger issues than Christie out there.

February 8, 2013 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  2. Huh?

If CNN wants to be seen as a credible news organization again they should would pay less attention to Chris Christie's weight problem and more attention to the scandals flowing around New Jersey Senator Robert Menendez.

February 8, 2013 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. Just Me

It must be really hard for Gov. Christie to be a Republican. These are the worst people for telling others how to run their lives. Most of the intelligent people are saying; " Butt Out, it's his life. Let him live it as he wants to. "

February 8, 2013 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

As long as there are large size bath tub manufacturers in America, Chris Christie has nothing to worry about. Unfortunately President Tarp didn't have that luxury. At least he's helping the local economy by eating excessively. Hehe.

February 8, 2013 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. Chumlee

Christie is not just fat, he is obese! If he has no self-control, then he is not a leader.

It is ridiculous that Christie cannot push away from the table – look at him. Hey Christie, check yourself out in a mirror!

February 8, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. Joe

mind our own business americans

February 8, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. Mark

I do not wish to judge morbidly obese people BUT: I practiced Cardiology for more than 30 years and I rarely saw any patients his size in their 60's and virtually none in their 70's. Why? Because they had all mostly passed on by then.

February 8, 2013 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  8. some chick

Gov.Christie...face it ...we like you.
    Come over to the dark side.
    Its alot better being a Dem.

February 8, 2013 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  9. They Never Learn

We criticize overweight people and those that smoke. Yet we pity those that use alcohol and controlled substances as having a disease. My late brother inlaw was not obese, never smoked and was an alcoholic. His doctor told him stop drinking or you will die. He chose to continue drinking and died in his mid 40's. It is called personal choice no matter how much people are pressured by others it is something they have to decide for themselves.

February 8, 2013 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

-Fair is Fair

Wow... Obama supporter extrordinairre Claudia from Houston TX says one thing against the messiah and the libs turn on her in droves. Sad.
    ***************
    As a member of the party who turned on Christie in droves when he displayed a glimmer of independent thought, your critique is disingenuous, to say the least. Since when have you ever supported a thought that went against your beliefs?

February 8, 2013 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  11. amercon

Democrats defend the most moderate/liberal Republicans.
    Obesity indicate a lack of discipline. He also has a big mouth of the type that liberals like.

February 8, 2013 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. Walter Adams

The unintended puns are weigh too funny to ignore.

February 8, 2013 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. EK

Actually obese people when it comes to healthcare cost more in the short run but since there life expectancy is lower most of them dont spend years in a nursing home paid for by medicare and other health insurance companies so there overall cost is lower.

February 8, 2013 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. Yophatdue

Chris Christie is very fat. And, if he doesn't care about his health and eating donuts on TV – it shows recklessness. I am not going to vote for him as President – I don't want that fat man to represent USA to the rest of the world.

February 8, 2013 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  15. hk

I just finished reading, Gov. Christie, I was you.. listen to the docs, by Mr. Briyan Monrow. It was thoughtfully written opinion. I hope the governor will have a chance to read it.

February 8, 2013 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  16. marty

Christy is a public figure....appearance does carry some weight.

February 8, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  17. AL

If I were inclined to vote for him for president, I would make sure I like his running mate. Although it sounds mean, thats my honest opinion.

February 8, 2013 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  18. sf

leave him alone? NO! it's always republicans who are always butting into people's personal lives...if they can dish it out, then he should be willing to take it too! also, if he's constantly bullying and rude to his consituents, then screw him...if he's got an issue, here's a tissue!

I personally don't want some fat heart attack waiting to happen cow in the WH!

February 8, 2013 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  19. Polls-come-and-go...

The only bigger size of Gov. Christie is his big and loud Mouth....Just a lot of hot air...

February 8, 2013 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. Wilson

Rudy, I'm just curious, have you ever read "Atlas Shrugged?" It describes a society in which I would not want to live. At least until the very end, then there is some small hope.

February 8, 2013 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  21. JimTheo

To Mark:
    Or had lost weight by that age.

February 8, 2013 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. Foreverwar

I also agree the statement seemed in poor taste, and honestly, why are they even talking so much about the 2016 election this early anyway?

February 8, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  23. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Christie said "he is very healthy" which means he doesn't have a thyroid problem or something of that nature so it's time he have a mental evaluation. I'm just saying.

February 8, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  24. Peace

Christie costed republicans the election. If not his weight he could had been tapped as VP by Romney. With that ticket, they could had won election for sure. Now see republicans, how bad it is to be obese.

February 8, 2013 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  25. Quixote

Hey never learn...might want to check what the AMA has to say on alcoholism, or nicotine addiction for that matter. Not a matter of "choice" like you say. If alcoholics and addicts could just chose to quit they would. Or at least some of them would.

February 8, 2013 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |