State of the Union firsts
February 11th, 2013

State of the Union firsts

Washington (CNN) - On Tuesday, President Barack Obama will present his fourth State of the Union address, the 224th in the nation's history. However, this will be only the 80th time a president has delivered the speech before Congress - earlier presidents routinely delivered a written message to be read to Congress.

Here are some firsts from past State of the Union addresses:

FULL STORY

Filed under: Congress • State of the Union
  1. Gurgyl

Job-Train, job-Train, job-Train. Bring back all the call center jobs including Sears call center jobs too with all vas/m/c, banking etc.,

February 11, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

Too bad the two sides won't mingle again, instead of isolating themselves according to their party lines.

February 11, 2013 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  3. jpmichigan

The Presidents speech, will be just that a rerun of the past 4 state of union speeches. He has yet taken ownership of his part in the slow rise of the economy, but the steady rise of the national debt. SPENDING is the problem! The reason the Democrats in the senate haven't proposed a budget in nearly 4 years, is to have FREE rein on spending. A budget would prevent that from happening. Cut first in the actual federal government employee benefits and hiring practices. Cut all those CZARS and advisors. Cut social spending, or at least look at the qualifications to receive governmental gifts of food stamps, housing and Medicaid..

February 11, 2013 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

When it comes to watching the State of the Union, it's never mattered to me whether the President of the United States had a (D) or an (R) next to his name ... I've watched (and supported) all our Presidents as they address the Nation. (Well, those who were President during my adulthood anyway.) I've laughed. I've cheered. I've listened in agony. I like to call it living the American experience of Democracy. I've voted them in. I've voted them out. I've backed some winners. I've backed some losers. And through it all, life went on ... each day rather like the day before.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

February 11, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  5. Al-NY,NY

a first, at least in the modern era...."You Lie"..outright disregard and disrespect shown the POTUS by some T-B whack who then became the hero of the party

February 11, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Al-NY,NY

-------------------------------------------------
    I will NEVER forget that moment. The first African-American President's State of the Union, a televised first being watched ALL OVER THE WORLD and here comes this backwoods backwash hillbilly, representative of the very worst our country has to offer: bigotted southern racial hatred (hell yes that's exactly what it was, tell yourself otherwise if you want to) disrespectfully YELLING out "You lie!" to the President of the United States.
    I cried out of shock, anger, disbelief, and mortfication for that fidiot, for my President, for my COUNTRY.
    I'll never forget it.

February 11, 2013 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama 4 Obama

"I'll never forget it."
    ------------------

And I'll never forget the Republican Party leadership and membership that sat back and without comment allowed it to happen on their watch. It was one of my listening in agony moments. There's been a few. This was the worse ever. Right up there with Bush's "Axis of Evil" meme.

February 11, 2013 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  8. J'Cincinnati'Redd

We have to do more then just cut spending,we have to invest in our nations youth. And we need a job bill,i dont care if its from the right or the left. A job bill needs to make it to the white house table so the President can sign it.

February 11, 2013 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota
    -------------------------------------------------
    Babe, it's only Monday. Please don't get me started on the Republican's LACK of leadership then and now.
    The word disgraceful comes immediately to mind.

February 11, 2013 11:29 am at 11:29 am |