Second Mass. Republican jumps into Senate race
February 12th, 2013
1 year ago

Second Mass. Republican jumps into Senate race

(CNN) - Republicans in Massachusetts have a second candidate interested in the race for the seat Secretary of State John Kerry resigned earlier this month.

Gabriel Gomez announced his candidacy Tuesday with a bilingual web video introducing himself to voters.

"I spent my career as a Navy SEAL and a businessman right here in Boston," he said. "I'm not a politician so I'll have a very different kind of campaign."

For either Gomez or State Rep. Dan Winslow, who said he was exploring a run last week, to appear on the ballot, they must collect 10,000 signatures by February 27, a deadline which is just over two weeks away. If more than one contender enters the race, a primary will be held April 30 to select a party candidate for the June special election to follow Kerry.

Since President Barack Obama selected Kerry as his next head of the State Department, a number of Republicans in the Bay State have announced they will not run, including former Sen. Scott Brown, who won the seat in a 2010 special election but lost his November bid for a full term against Democrat Elizabeth Warren. Brown said in an interview Tuesday that he could have raised the funds and was encouraged to jump in, but needs to "recharge the engines and spend some time with my family."

As Brown, former Gov. Gov. William Weld and former state Senate Minority Leader Richard Tisei announced they would not run, speculation swirled that the wife or son of former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney might enter the field. But they, too, are sitting this race out, and political watchers began to wonder how a Republican candidate could collect enough signatures to be on the ballot – especially with the weekend blizzard which shut down the Northeastern state.

Two Democrats have declared their efforts for the seat: Rep. Ed Markey, the longest serving member of the Massachusetts delegation to Washington, and Rep. Stephen Lynch. Markey has the backing of Kerry and several other Massachusetts Democrats, as well as the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

Gomez wrote in a statement accompanying his announcement that Washington harbors "a lot of unproductive noise, and bickering, and I see two parties attacking each other at all times over every issue." It is a place of "gridlock" and "severe dysfunction," he said, but said he is optimistic that he can be "a voice for bipartisanship, reasonableness and common sense."

"Look at my training – serving my country, U.S. Naval Academy, Navy aircraft carrier pilot, Navy SEAL, successful private sector, business career," he said. "I'm not a politician, and there will be times when folks will ask me questions about the inner working of politics that I don't know about. I'm a quick study, I'll figure all the political jargon out, but I'm not going to adopt it."

– CNN's Alan Silverleib, Paul Steinhauser and Gregory Wallace contributed to this report

1. Sniffit

LOL! This should be amusing. Should we call him Rubito?

February 12, 2013 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  2. Walter Adams

He wants to run as "a voice for bipartisanship, reasonableness and common sense?" Not if he's a Republican. After swearing loyalty to Norquist, Gomez would have to promise to be an obstructionist dedicated to ruining the country by putting party first while blocking every Obama initiative. There is no such political creature as a bipartisan, reasonable, sensible Republican.

February 12, 2013 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  3. Pete

Another Rubio wanne a be,Navy Seal and all I wouldn't trust him after Romney another republican hack came from there and he was that states governor..Let them run because the tea party clown bus is getting wilder all the time and now irrelevant as ever aren't they!!

February 12, 2013 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  4. Amusing

LOL, so clever Sniffit. I wish you would run for the mass senate seat. We need more clowns with your witty remarks to run.

February 12, 2013 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  5. Guest

I guess he's like the token president.....

February 12, 2013 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  6. Ray E. (Georgia)

Well it appears Gabriel Gomez will never be a Senator from Mass. He is too damned honest. He is no Ted Kennedy.

February 12, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  7. The Real Tom Paine

-Amusing

Guest

I guess he's like the token president.....
    ********************************************
    Typical low-information right wing comments. I honor his service, but its a pity that he'll end up being exactly like Scott Brown: a tool for a party that has no interest in what he has to say. At least it will increase the number of veterans the GOP has. Perhaps he can enlighten some of the fossils in his party that have not seen combat in 3 or 4 decades what effect the policies of the GOP have done for those who have recently served.

WMDs, anyone? Now, that IS amusing. Almost as much fun as making fun of the 47% that voted for Romney.

February 12, 2013 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  8. Lisa P.

Watch out for that "Different kind of candidate/different kind of campaign" nonsense - it's what got us stuck with Senator Ron Johnson, the most ignorant and ineffective Senator Wisconsin ever sent to Washington. He's made us a national laughingstock. Sometimes it takes a politician to do a politician's job. The people and businesses who benefit from gridlock, who never want anything to get done in Washington (except their special little tax break, of course) will do their darnedest to keep you form figuring that out. Don't elect another one of their fools to further gum up the works.

February 12, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  9. Guest

So you're suggesting that Saddam Hussein didnt kill thousands of Kurds by gassing them? Or that the democrats didnt have any say in the Iraq war? Did you serve Tom Paine? It doesnt sound like it....or is conflict on foreign soil only authorized when liberal politicians think so?

February 12, 2013 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

-Ray E. (Georgia)

**************
    Let's hope he's no Todd Akin, either. Will you try to shut his campaign down if he's not? I hear you have a way of doing that....

February 12, 2013 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  11. Al-NY,NY

the primary will be interesting. Who can cowtow the most to the T-Troll crowd and mention St. Ronald Reagan the most? The winner of this blubber-fest will then lose to the democratic candidate since they had to paint themselves into a corner to get the nomination....kinda like Flip Flopney

February 12, 2013 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

Interesting name. Gabriel Gomez.

February 12, 2013 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  13. jinx88

They all say "I am bipartisan, and I look forward to working across the isle" until they get into office and its funny how it changes once lobbyist get a hold of them.

February 12, 2013 11:57 am at 11:57 am |