Michelle Obama, daughters going skiing
February 15th, 2013

Michelle Obama, daughters going skiing

(CNN) - First lady Michelle Obama and her daughters are headed out West this weekend for their annual ski trip with family friends, White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Friday.

The White House wasn't specific on their skiing destination. Last year, they went to Aspen, Colorado. In 2011 and 2010, the first lady and her daughters, Malia and Sasha, stayed in Vail.

Vice President Joe Biden is also embarking on a ski trip this weekend, going to Snowmass, Colorado with his family, the White House announced.

The president, meanwhile, travels later Friday to West Palm Beach, Florida for Presidents Day weekend after he makes a visit to Chicago to continue his post-State of the Union tour.

Filed under: Malia Obama • Michelle Obama • Sasha Obama
  1. WiredweirdinSF

Wow another great vacation at taxpayer expense. If I could get the day off and could still pay my taxes, I would like a vacation also. Unfortunately I have to work to make sure the dope addicts, welfare frauds and corrupt union bosses that vote for Obama can countinue to receive all that free stuff that the most incompetent, inept, corrupt, lying, union toady president promised them. Remember he said he would not rest until the economy was fixed and he is now starting his 58th (taxpayer paid) vacation day since he made that pledge. You see he lies.

February 15, 2013 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  2. LL

Gorgeous first family.

February 15, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  3. shootings

Here's an idea...why doesn't the First Family wait until they are out of office and paying for these trips on their own dime? Isn't a little "in your face" attitude to be going skiing when they just came back from a 17+ vacation in Hawaii? No wonder the photo shows them all smiling so broadly...4 more years of lavish vacations and we aren't paying!

February 15, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  4. jkane sfl the gop national disgrace party will be swept out like the trash they are in2014 ?

Good for them ,gop you lost the election ,ha ha !!

February 15, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

My, the girls have transformed themselves into beautiful, poised, young ladies. They represent us with quiet elegance and pride. What a beautiful family.
    I hope they enjoy themselves. They are a family, after all, well-deserving of spending vacation time together.
    I hope the President gets a chance to join them.
    And look everybody they also SKI!!!!! How about that?! LOL!!!

February 15, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  6. jkane sfl the gop national disgrace party will be swept out like the trash they are in2014 ?

Hey, I bet they take less vaction time and wast less tax payer money then the gop trash in congress and their joke investegstions !!!!

February 15, 2013 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  7. CT

I really don't see what justifies all the hate for the wife of the president and children. You seriously have to question the posters here.

February 15, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  8. Essie

LOL, LOL, LOL!!! I LOVE it when the Repugs, haters, and racists get angry when the First Family enjoy themselves! ~They are definitely due for a great trip! Go and enjoy yourselves ladies & Mr. President! ...Oh btw, them taking a trip does not prohibit me from buying groceries or taking a vacation myself! So, STOP the "dime on taxpayers" foolishness! Just accept that you're broke and jealous that their NOT!!!

February 15, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

Lovely family. Just lovely.

February 15, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  10. cnn

must be nice, here I am not able to pay my income taxes this year

February 15, 2013 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  11. southbeltway

The Obama girls are so cute. Can't help but think of the kids of president's in the past – Chelsea Clinton, the Bush twins, the Kennedy children and nieces & nephews. Most all have grown up to have meaningful careers in public service. Looking forward to see what the Obama kids will be doing in the future.

February 15, 2013 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  12. marsha

i love the first family and i am constantly amazed at all the haters. where were all u people when "w" was off on the ranch all the time. so glad obama is my president!!!!

February 15, 2013 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  13. bob

The comments that are empty criticism of Obama's family are about as transparent as you can get. You people should really do something about all that self-hatred.

February 15, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  14. Joi Gibson

I hope they have fun!! I'm just excited to learn the Pres will be in my hometown. I would LOVE to see him!!!

@CT Amen to that! There is no need to hate on the First Lady and the children.

February 15, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  15. critical thinking

I really enjoy watching the Obama Vacations, my hard earned tax dollars allowing them to take all these vacations really warms my heart. Well, off to my second job to make ends meet.

February 15, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  16. PJ

"Another great vacation at taxpayer expense."
    -----
    Another johnny-one note complaint.
    Why don't you look at the Congressional calendar sometime.
    The House is scheduled to work 127 day this year. Cantor has scheduled a "one week/month" off for the
    Representatives "to stay in contact with their constituents". What a joke.
    These yahoos are being paid annual salaries while working less than half time. If you think their "fact finding"
    trips aren't really vacations, then why do they take their families with them? NO complaint there?
    Then you are living in a vacuum of hate while wearing blinders.

February 15, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  17. Elvis Lives

I love it. All the extreme right has to off is just what Piyush "Bobby" Jindal said, "Stupidty", as seen in a few weird comments here knocking a couple of kids....

Keep pushing the "party of Stupid", wingers.

February 15, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. kevin

The point here is that given how many in this country have no job and can't even afford food the Obama's are living high on the taxpayer. As a leader you are suppose to set the example and it wouldn't kill them to ski locally instead of going to expensive Vail! Last year it cost us $4.1 billion for their vacations and such.

February 15, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. Rudy NYC

I have two and a half words for the right wingers whining about tax money and vacations: George W. Bush.

February 15, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  20. remarque

For all those complaining about this family going skiing.
    In 2001, it went into effect that the President of the United States:
    ...earn $400,000 in annual salary
    ...a $50,000 expense account (expires annually)
    ...a $100,000 nontaxable travel account (expires annually)
    ...a $19,000 entertainment account (expires annually)
    That's the law. Bush had the same perks. The president's family can go on vacation without him as many times as it can afford – just like your families.

February 15, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  21. Rick McDaniel

They can continue to live high on the public nickle for 4 more yrs., and they are loving that!

February 15, 2013 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  22. Mia Atlanta

It was true that the last Republican administration took more and spent more on vacations than any other administration in history....by far..

Bush spend $20 Million in Air Force One operating costs just to got to Crawford Ranch alone...not to mention the expenses there or any other vacations he or his family took, which is many.

Seriously, any Republican bringing up "vacations" is just outright showing their ignorance.

February 15, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  23. critical thinking

Last year it cost us $4.1 billion for their vacations and such. The reason it's so high is that they also take along relatives on the trip, cousins, aunts, etc and we pick up their tab too. So much for being fair when spending our money.This adminstartion is a bunch of *******

February 15, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  24. Padraig

I am glad they are going skiing, fine. I will concur with how much this will cost however – what is with CNN? There are other stories that are more impactful than these young ladies going skiing.

February 15, 2013 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  25. Essie

I'm so happy for our First Family! You make me want to take a nice trip. Be safe and have a great time! :)

February 15, 2013 11:07 am at 11:07 am |