February 23rd, 2013

Colbert goes bowling for dollars for sister’s campaign

(CNN) - What would Stephen Colbert want in a Charleston, South Carolina, bowling alley?

Votes for his sister, who is running for Congress.

The Comedy Central comedian stumped on Saturday for Elizabeth Colbert Busch, one of two Democratic candidates running for the U.S. House seat vacated by now-Sen. Tim Scott, a Republican appointed to fill the Senate spot that Jim DeMint left last month.

Also seeking the seat in the GOP-leaning district are 16 Republicans, the most recognizable among them being former Gov. Mark Sanford. A primary will be held in March ahead of the May special election.

Colbert - the comedian - signed books and mingled at the campaign event in his hometown, held at bowling spot The Alley Charleston.

The Colbert Busch campaign posted to Twitter photos of the event.

"We're going to raise money in a bowling alley because we're of the people," he told fellow television host Jimmy Fallon on Thursday. "You know, you've got to go to a bowling alley because that's where the people are."

Another benefit?

Bowling is "one of the few sports that comes with a bar."

Colbert has previously teased his own bids for public office, but said in the interview he hoped his career didn't hurt his sister's chances.

"I don't actually have anything to offer people in a public office," he said. "It's natural for her to run because she has skills and something to offer society. I am professionally ridiculous. So I just hope that what I do for a living doesn't sully her good character."

Filed under: South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. Name lynn

colbert wants to see his sister make it big in the world, hes a good brother.

February 23, 2013 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. Galvan

Oh my goodness, you mean Colbert does things just like a regular human being? Who would have guessed?

February 23, 2013 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  3. marc in california

with any luck, these voters will deny mark sanford any kind of comeback. good luck sister of colbert!

February 23, 2013 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  4. ted

No need for Steven Colbert to run. There already is a comedian running – Mark Sanford.

February 23, 2013 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  5. Christine Taylor

I'd vote for her, if Stephen believes, I believe. Good luck to her! Nice photos too, looks like there was a lot of fun, which you don't see in political news generally.

February 23, 2013 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  6. buzz

I'd vote for her.

February 23, 2013 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  7. Larry L

Elizabeth is exactly what South Caroline need to join the real world. Just imagine a progressive leader who wants our federal government to succeed!

February 23, 2013 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  8. ThinkAgain

I hope she takes her Repub opponent to the cleaners! Go, Elizabeth!!!

February 24, 2013 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  9. Jack Cardwell

GO Elizabeth!!!! My Blessings for success. You have the Cardwell Bump!!

February 24, 2013 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  10. Joe

Like brother like sister – go knock em'down...

February 24, 2013 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  11. MaryM

Stephen is a good brother.

February 24, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  12. JosephG

I wonder if she pronounces her maiden name "CoberT" or "Cober".

February 24, 2013 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  13. Deni

Outstanding! I hope that she wins and South Carolina joins the rest of us in the 21st century!

February 24, 2013 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |