February 23rd, 2013
1 year ago

Michelle Obama dances like a mom

(CNN) - It’s the message of her fitness initiative: It doesn’t matter how you move, as long as you do.

So first lady Michelle Obama took to her feet and demonstrated the “Evolution of Mom Dance” with Jimmy Fallon on his NBC program Friday night, showing off classic dance steps like the “go shopping, get groceries,” the “driving the station wagon” and the “just the hands part of ‘Single Ladies.’”

The medley of moves, modeled after the online sensation “Evolution of Dance,” was more subdued than her last appearance on Fallon’s program, when she challenged him to a series of fitness exercises in the White House – like a sack race across the East Room - to promote her “Let’s Move” campaign.

A year later, Obama is taking her program on the road for its third anniversary, but she stopped by the show first to talk about pop culture and life in the White House.

President Obama, she said, is not as skilled a dancer as she is.

“I give him a B. His dancing is right here in the pocket,” she said. “He's got, like, three good moves.”

Her children, Malia, 14, and Sasha, 11, “try to hip us” to music and culture, she said.

“But there's some music that they'll tell us, I think the language is too rough for you. I'm like, really,” the first lady said. “So they don't allow us to just listen to anything. They're looking out for our well-being.”

She described her differences in television interests from her husband’s well known affinity for sports.

“Sometimes he walks in and sees what we're watching and is like, ‘Oh, come on, come on people,’” she said, admitting to an interest in the “Real Housewives” program but saying she doesn’t watch the program about child beauty pageant star “Honey Boo Boo.”

Occasionally, Obama said, she and the president want to go out for date night.

“It’s a little tough. I mean, Barack has a 20 car motorcade. It's got men with guns. The ambulance is always there. I mean, how romantic can you be?”

“He's like, ‘I'm going to take you, and we're going to go out on a romantic dinner.’ And I'm like, ‘Is the ambulance coming?’ We still try to do it, though.”

Fallon, who is rumored as a potential replacement for fellow late-night comedian Jay Leno, asked Obama if she would be interested in running for the White House down the road – “Dream team, Michelle and Hillary ‘16?”

“I have my eye actually on another job,” she said. “I hear that when Jay Leno retires that the “Tonight Show” position is gonna be open, and I’m thinking about putting my hat in the ring,

“What do you think?”

Fallon said he was “done thinking about it.”

But he did joke his show would feature another political star soon.

Following Obama’s “Let’s Move” campaign, he said, “Chris Christie will be on next week to talk about his initiative "Let's sit.”

– CNN’s Ashley Killough and Gregory Wallace contributed to this report

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. nintex

This lady is too cool! What a great first lady we have – a real person who is interested in real people and is funny to boot. I love her sense of humor. She'd make a great late-night talk show host.

February 23, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  2. ST

She missed the steps sometimes, but that didn't matter especially for me. I found it quite entertaining and that she is all weather person and can fit anywhere. Well done Michelle.

February 23, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  3. Charlie

Loved it.

February 23, 2013 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  4. Dave

The First Lady is the best. She's a class act all the way. The Obama's are the real deal. Such a breath of fresh air in DC. She would make a great politician too!

February 23, 2013 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  5. Larry L

My family loves and admires the First Lady! She cares about people.

February 23, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  6. Freeman

Loved it! Michell Obama is a class act. Love her sense of humor. Can you imagine that boring stuffy Ann Romney on this show?

February 23, 2013 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. Essie

SHE WAS FANTASTIC!!! Her & Jimmy works well together when they do these skits! ...I LOVED IT!!! She has great rhythm & style! What an awesome First Lady we have...:)

February 23, 2013 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  8. Delilah

Michelle is such a down-to-earth, fun First Lady!

February 23, 2013 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  9. ga.democrat

Michelle Obama is great and I love her "Let's Move" campaign. What a wonderful First Lady!

February 23, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. Delilah

II'm sure Yikes & Anonymous voted for Willard. Their comments would surely be different if it were Queen Ann busting those moves.

February 23, 2013 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  11. petemg

Other First Ladies did much for this Great Nation without having to publicize it. Michelle Obama you are 49 not 18. Michelle you care only about yourself. If you really cared about this nation you would be concerned about how families can feed there children when the parents have no jobs to provide.

February 23, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  12. Getoverit

I have nothing against Michelle Obama. I think she is a very classy woman, and a great Firstt Lady, but why does CNN feell it necessary to print a "feel good" puffball story about the Obamas every day?

February 23, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. Doug

Best First Lady ever!

February 23, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  14. Jeffrey Root

Even though I didn't vote for her husband, Michelle Obama is the first lady I want to have.

February 23, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  15. Larry R.

What a great first lady! I love the fact that she's so comfortable in her skin. A wonderful role model for all young women.

February 23, 2013 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  16. Dan

She and her husband are a total embarrassment to America. Record number on food stamps, out-of-control deficit and gas prices through the roof - just to name a few problems that have gotten worse under her husband's watch. Well, Nero fiddled while Rome burned, so I am not surprised by their foolish behavior. Thankfully only three more years of this clown act to put up with, but who knows the shambles this country will be in once they are through destroying it.

February 23, 2013 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  17. Norma Vessels

Let's enjoy having these two intelligent, loveable people in the White House as long as we can, for I don't believe there will ever be another President who is so with the people, so down to earth .. nor a First Lady.

February 23, 2013 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  18. James

Who cares???

February 23, 2013 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  19. Sam

@Anonymous...

sour grapes.

February 23, 2013 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. tess

so totally CLASSLESS – i can't even begin to imagine laura bush, barbara bush, nancy reagan or even betty ford (who by the way was a REAL dancer) making such a spectacle of themselves. of course, they all had respect for the office that their husbands held, and therefore knew that they, too, held a place of dignity. oh excuse me, those fools in the white house now don't know the meaning of either word dignity or class! p.s. funny that all the REAL FIRST 'LADIES' were republicans!!

February 23, 2013 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  21. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

The Greatest President in U.S. history, President Obama and the Greatest First Lady in U.S. history, Mrs. Obama...well next to Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt of course.

February 23, 2013 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  22. Swing State

This first lady is trying to get people active for their own good but here comes the negativity. Some people just can't get past politics and hate.

February 23, 2013 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  23. Raheem and Elaine

Love showing it to my grand kids they love to see her dance

February 23, 2013 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  24. Dean

Used to be a time when the First Lady had a little class.

February 23, 2013 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  25. DaveW

We have a great First Lady. Michelle could run for Prez after Barack.

February 23, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |