Christie not on CPAC's guest list
February 25th, 2013
1 year ago

Christie not on CPAC's guest list

(CNN) - It’s considered a key speaking engagement for any Republican considering a bid for president, but one potential 2016 candidate didn’t get an invitation to this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference.

Someone close to CPAC said Monday that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie wasn’t asked to attend by organizers of the event, which will take place in mid-March at a resort outside Washington. Officially, CPAC says they’re finalizing this year’s schedule.

Other Republicans who are thought to be considering presidential bids and are on the CPAC speaking list include Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who was announced as a speaker earlier Monday.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin are also on the roster, along with former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who was a 2012 Republican presidential candidate; former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush; and Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin.

Mitt Romney, the GOP's 2012 presidential nominee, will also speak at the conference.

Many Republicans voiced anger at Christie for praising President Barack Obama’s response to Superstorm Sandy, which swept through his state days before last November’s election. Later, Christie publically blasted Republican lawmakers for stalling passage of emergency funds for Sandy victims.

The outspoken governor defended himself against charges he helped swing the election to Obama, however, saying on CNN that "When the president does things that deserve praise, I will give him praise. And when the president does things that deserve scorn, I'll give him scorn."

"I am not going to play politics with this issue, this is so much bigger than an election," Christie continued. "When someone asks me an honest question, I give an honest answer: 'How's the president been to deal with?' He's been outstanding to deal with on this.”

CPAC, which touts itself as the largest annual gathering of conservative leaders and activists, turns 40 this year and will be held March 14-16 at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center in Maryland near Washington.

Filed under: Chris Christie • CPAC
  1. ellid

I'm no fan of Christie, but the GOP really does seem determined to destroy its chances to hold the Presidency well into the future.

February 26, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  2. Jim

I was a Republican for 40 years, but will NEVER vote for another Republican. The GOP has be hijacked by the right-wing crazies and no longer represents me.

February 26, 2013 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  3. ritmocojo

Of course they wouldn't invite Christie, he's a winner. The "New" GOP is still not interested in winners.

February 26, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  4. Ol' Lefty

Yet they invite the Wasilla Grifter. Wow

February 26, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  5. OKC

Dems are so funny......I left the Dems after 30 years when they no longer concerned themselves with what conservitive Dems. thought or beleived. My home stae of OK was 4 to 1 Dem. and is now down to about 1.5 to 1 and most of the 1.5 vote conservatively.

February 26, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  6. Birch

Its a conference for conservatives. Christie is not conservative and he helped elect the loser we have in office now.

February 26, 2013 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  7. Denny

Good for CPAC. As an Independent I get tired of the weakness from the GOP always afraid they might offend someone for doing the right thing. Christie is a Democrat and only became Republican in order to win the election. Start showing courage like this and I'll vote Republican in the next election.

February 26, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  8. Ken

Christie doesn't doesn't deserve to be among this group of idiots. An invitation to CPAC would be an insult.

February 26, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  9. Clip

The fact that Christie has broad appeal and isn't 100% in step with the hardcore conservative right is the testament to why they should nominate him and expect a victory in 2016. Want a guy with broad appeal that's able to deliver a true conservative message? Well here you go. But obviously the GOP has proven them self to be far too out of touch to possibly recognize this.

February 26, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  10. lottie

like him or not Christie says what he thinks and seems to have ruffled more republican feathers. He has shown he can work with both party's,. Shame on him. Apparently the republican party plans on loosing the next election also. Good for them.

February 26, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  11. Anonymous

A change in party might be in order. Governor, it's not too late! Give up the Dark Side, and come towards the Light! There is good in you, we have have seen it!

February 26, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  12. Captain D

Who really cares who the GOP snubs? I mean really. I think that if you are snubbed by that group of out of touch neanderthals it must mean you are highly popular and very electable because they proved overwhelmingly last November that they haven't got one man listed to speak that can resonate with reasonable people. They are a lost cause.

February 26, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  13. Palin Power

Of course Christie does not deserve a spot on CPAC. He is a RINO and he will lose big to Sarah Palin in the GOP primaries. Sarah Palin is going to be our next President.

February 26, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  14. awaiting moderation

He needed help for his state.You do what you have to do but, people do notice things.Politicians,or political action people have no scruples either.win at any cost is their job.

February 26, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  15. Anonymous

The Grey Obsolete Party just has this inability to learn a thing from the past two elections. Instead of stopping being the "studpid" party, they double down on their stupidity, preaching more to the more hard-core choir and embracing their own kind only, which is the minority these days as the country's demographic is shiffting. As a former righty nutty ideologue myself, I have been turned off by the right so badly that by the time I decided to register to vote for the first time, I registered as independent and I just could not bring myself to vote for this intellectually shallow bunch. They conisder themselves christians and god-fearing, as a christian myslef, I'm telling you that the way they operate themselves is everthing against bible teaching and spirit, which ultimately is anti God because God is all about loving and forgivness, giving and sharing. Speaking from my own experience as well as my observation of what has been going on in this nation, I have come to the conlusion that compassion and conservatism are almost mutually exclusive, in other words, they don't co-exist or go together, if one goes up, the other goes down. If they are wise, they should embrace Christie. But the fact that they snub a sensible folk like Chritie might be a good thing for this great nation because that would further diminish their chance of winning. If Christie is wise and wants to serve the country and have a polictical future he should denounce the GOP as well.

February 26, 2013 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  16. awaiting moderation

I love it when I hear someone say they use to be a Republican ,but-----

February 26, 2013 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  17. awaiting moderation

I can see the poor house from my house on a clear day.

February 26, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  18. Sam

Good! They haven't learned their lesson yet and are continuing to alienate their best chances at winning!

February 26, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  19. awaiting moderation

When ,and if, you ever see a Liberal building a doomsday shelter, you know we are in trouble.

February 26, 2013 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  20. russ139

This exposes the lie that Conservatism has become. Anti-liberal / anti-Obama / anti-elitist.., has replaced legitimate conservative debate. To the point where candidate Romney often made no sense whatsoever in his speeches.

Christie is a perfectly good representative of conservative principles – with an actual track record! But because he won't demonize liberals-Obama-elitists 24/7, he's not welcome.

February 26, 2013 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  21. W.

It is remarkable what baffles the simple minded...

February 26, 2013 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  22. PhillyBuster

And to think I used to vote GOP. Of course that was when Gerry Ford, Reagan, Bush #I were running. The new GOP has been hijacked by the Christian fundamentalists, and they are destroying the party. Perhaps it will crash and burn and then remake itself with reasonable people.

February 26, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  23. ILoveGeico

Reagan would not be invited.

February 26, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  24. brad

They are treating him bad because he thanked the president when his state received help after a hurricane. Just goes to show that group really does not care for or even like humans.

February 26, 2013 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  25. ST

Any party which can not " Plan Its Work and Work Its Plan" is doomed for failure. What kind of Plan GOP has by eliminating its major player like Chris Christie right from the start. Hey, GOP you gain by adding and not by subtracting.

February 26, 2013 11:11 am at 11:11 am |