Christie not on CPAC's guest list
February 25th, 2013
1 year ago

Christie not on CPAC's guest list

(CNN) - It’s considered a key speaking engagement for any Republican considering a bid for president, but one potential 2016 candidate didn’t get an invitation to this year’s Conservative Political Action Conference.

Someone close to CPAC said Monday that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie wasn’t asked to attend by organizers of the event, which will take place in mid-March at a resort outside Washington. Officially, CPAC says they’re finalizing this year’s schedule.

Other Republicans who are thought to be considering presidential bids and are on the CPAC speaking list include Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who was announced as a speaker earlier Monday.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin are also on the roster, along with former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, who was a 2012 Republican presidential candidate; former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush; and Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin.

Mitt Romney, the GOP's 2012 presidential nominee, will also speak at the conference.

Many Republicans voiced anger at Christie for praising President Barack Obama’s response to Superstorm Sandy, which swept through his state days before last November’s election. Later, Christie publically blasted Republican lawmakers for stalling passage of emergency funds for Sandy victims.

The outspoken governor defended himself against charges he helped swing the election to Obama, however, saying on CNN that "When the president does things that deserve praise, I will give him praise. And when the president does things that deserve scorn, I'll give him scorn."

"I am not going to play politics with this issue, this is so much bigger than an election," Christie continued. "When someone asks me an honest question, I give an honest answer: 'How's the president been to deal with?' He's been outstanding to deal with on this.”

CPAC, which touts itself as the largest annual gathering of conservative leaders and activists, turns 40 this year and will be held March 14-16 at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center in Maryland near Washington.

Filed under: Chris Christie • CPAC
  1. GI Joe

He would just make all the losers look worse. ha ha ha ha ha

Romney lost twice. Palin lost then quit the job she did have. That guy from Louisiana built a temporary island that washed away (what a waste of money). The nutjob from Pennsylvania believes he can live in Virginia and force Pennsylvania to pay for his kids' home schooling fees. etc, etc, etc.

February 26, 2013 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  2. Larry L

It will do the Democratic party good to have another moderate voice. Governor Christie has been sent a message from the RNC and he should take notice. His future is with the Democratic Party – good for him since the Republican Party is apparently incapable of shedding the extremists and remains resigned to represent the bigots and Fox News drones. That situation spells the end of the GOP.

February 26, 2013 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  3. Where are the grownups?

so....if you behave like an adult and give credit where credit is due, this makes you less than a conservative? Good grief...

February 26, 2013 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  4. StXavier

I kinda like Gov Christie, I'm an independent I was a Damcrat. The Rep's are so messed up in their heads they will not get back into office until they start thinking like regular people. Belonging to a party for me isn't all that emportant but to vote you must belong to a party, to be honest with you I 'm really not sure if you need to belong to any party to vote so just in case I'm now an indenpendent I've sheaken off the need to be labled Dem or Rep an now I'm free to vote my own mind. Who knows maybe I'll vote for Gov Christy if he runs for President MAYBE.

February 26, 2013 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  5. K. in Miami

I think we all know why republicans/white americans snubbed Christie, he has been too normal, I mean working with the President to help fellow New Jersians after one of the most devastating hurricanes thats hit our shores is TREASON in white america.

Christie doesn't understand the level of hatred directed at this president and the racial component that drives it, I think he should switch to Independant, whites/republicans will never forgive him for working with the president even though the cause is to help thousand of americans devastated by the hurricane.

February 26, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. Homer and Jethro

" If they can't be in charge, they'll bring the whole country down" We had a really nice and useful representative who was narrowly defeated in a surprise turn of events. The new Rep found financial irregularities which weren't exactly criminal to begin with but which had turned into hasty embezzlement to cover up, and the money to fix it all with no harm or trace would have come along after the election. Now I wonder if the GOP has some serious crimes to cover, and can't afford to be defeated?

February 26, 2013 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  7. Ricky M.

I LOVE Gov. Christie even more.

February 26, 2013 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  8. Florida Joe

Christie should send CPAC a thank you. The line up of Right Wing Nuts and has beens (some including Palin are both) will insure that no one associated with these radical repubs will ever be President. May not like everything Christie does but he thinks for himself which the New Rebub Party will not allow.

February 26, 2013 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  9. DJ Reality

Christie is the bomb and I am a liberal I would vote for him....

February 26, 2013 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  10. Ron McCain

This is so funny...didn 't the conservatives "get the memo" in November? This county just aint conservative!! You lost big time...you lost the big kahuna job!! And here you have Christie, a rock star in the GOP, who could bring in moderates and even some dyed in the wool Dems...and you spurn him? Listening to Rand Paul, and Marco Rubio etc is not the way to rebuild the brand.....I think Christie should come to the Dems...what a ticket that would be Hillary and Chris!!! 2016!!!

February 26, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  11. Roger

So CPAC is sponsoring another clown show this year! The same old tired faces, the same old tired message! Of course this year they have added that paragon of virtue our newly elected senator from Texas, Ted Cruz, who should be recalled at the earliest possible time. Certainly don't invite the one Republican who might change your losing ways, who is conservative but at the same time is able to reach across the aisle – just let these whack jobs continue to drag the Republican party down even further until you're nothing but a footnote in the dustbin of history. Good for we Democrats but lousy for the country. Wake up you yahoos!

February 26, 2013 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  12. Macmvaen

So let me get this straight, the CPAC shuns Christie, but yet they elect Rick Perry to be the head speaker? Christie should be proud not to associate himself with these idiots. Gotta love a guy that says what he thinks, regardless of what party line it crosses. He just has to get that eating under control! I'd possibly vote for him if he ran in the 2016 election, but he's got to get a bit healthier first...

February 26, 2013 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  13. NY Repub

Once again CPAC supports the looneys at the expense of someone who could actually get elected. There not one potential Republican canidate listed as a speaker that i would vote for as the next President. Unfortunately the only one I would consider was snubbed. Hopefully in three years the Republicans have a longer list.

February 26, 2013 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  14. Tony

It's amazing how these Right-Wing crazies can't understand why they lost and will keep losing future elections.They blame this guy(who I do not like)Christie for losing and blackball any Republican who does not take a hard right stance on any subject. Hell for just using common sense. It couldn't be their stand on equal pay for women, or the birth control issue, oh no. It couldn't be their failure to appeal to anyone not white, male or rich, It couldn't be their rape comments by two different republicans, or them wanting to privatize social security or cut programs that people need to live. It sure wasn't Romney habitual lying from one day to the next.It was none of these things. In Republicanville where up means down and left means go right it had to be CHRIS CHRISTIE........Ok now you can wake up.

February 26, 2013 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  15. Manti

The ONLY person in the Republican Party who SHOULD be president and he is snubbed? That's how stupid this party is.

February 26, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  16. Silverwolf

As a independent voter I can tell you that this was the worst move the GOP could make, without christie there are no viable GOP candidates. This is very sad I was looking forward to see if he could change the GOP.

February 26, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  17. Larry in Houston

CNN – this is a good 1 – - – funny one, too – - – LOL – - Hate to be a bearer of bad tidings, but they don't want to have nothing to do w/ the christy – Why ? don't you remember hurricane sandy ? and I could mention a couple of other things that Christy said. ( against the repubs) he even told them "they ought to be ashamed of themselves" when he was speaking. and it seems like everytime you hear Christy speak, he's one of them that is actually not afraid of people in his party, no matter who they are. LOL – I mean, this guy will call a spade, a spade. lol Tell you what CNN, wouldn't this be a fantasy ? Hillary & Cristy in 2016 ? LOL – doubt if it ever will happen, but it has crossed my mind. lol

February 26, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  18. tg

Let Christie hang out with the Demo-rats. After all, that's what Christie is.

February 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  19. Dan Moody

I would vote for Christie, I didn't vote for Obama, I voted against the Republican Party, twice now

February 26, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  20. Silverwolf

As a independent voter I can tell you that this was the worst move the GOP could make, without him there are no viable GOP candidates

February 26, 2013 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  21. Lucian

This progressive would love to see the vast majority of moderate Republicans take back their party from the Christian Mullahs, racists, mysogonists, isolationists and the rest of the corporate puppets now running the show. The nation will be much better off when they do.

February 26, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  22. Flagship, NC

Governor Christie has been sent a message from the RNC and they should take notice.
    Right off, Christie shows that he a mature adult that does not play games.
    As an independent, I know that Christie would be a practical and caring president.
    Go Dude, Go!

February 26, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  23. DR

Huntsman will also be a voice of moderation from the GOP. He would not buy in to Norquist and his cronies. He believes in science, equal rights, and gay marriage. He is also the leading diplomat to China, where we will need plenty of knowledge and great relations.

February 26, 2013 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  24. Freddo

Wow ... and the GOP implosion continues ...

February 26, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  25. rb1948

Christie will never be acceptable to Republicans. He's 1) honest, 2) displays integrity, and 3) does the right thing despite the politics.

February 26, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |