Christie's advice for Washington
February 26th, 2013

Christie's advice for Washington

(CNN) - Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey isn't shy about speaking out.

And in a Tuesday budget address, he offered some advice for government officials in the nation's capital.

"It seems to me that our leaders in Washington, D.C., especially this week, could learn something from our example here," he said, as Capitol Hill and the White House blame each other for the approaching federal spending cuts, known inside the Beltway as the sequester.

"Their failure to take on the nation's budget challenges and address the unsustainablility of the nation's longterm liabilities is nothing short of inexcusable. It's past time for Washington to get its act together," he continued, chastising leaders in the nation's capital.

"And that will take two things: bipartisanship and leadership, and unfortunately, both seem missing in Washington today."

He acknowledged that his state had more it could do "to improve our fiscal health even more," and did not note his state's unemployment rate, which stands above the national average.

Christie urged lawmakers to not to "play the old partisan games [or] block progress in search of a better headline."

"We know that doesn't work either. Just look at the results in Washington," he said. "Is that what we want in New Jersey?"

In the address, Christie announced he would support an expansion of Medicaid under President Barack Obama's health care law, becoming the eighth Republican governor to do so. He expressed his opposition to the law but noted that if he did not accept the federal funding for the program, the funds would be spent elsewhere.

Speaking to state lawmakers, he cited an example of "putting the people we serve first" in the state's response to Superstorm Sandy, which devastated parts of New Jersey when she made landfall in late October.

"I want to thank the members of this legislature and our congressional delegation - both sides of the aisle - for the $60.4 billion emergency relief package which Congress enacted last month," he said. "I expect to go to the Jersey Shore every summer for the rest of my life, including the summer of 2013."

– CNN's Gregory Wallace and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report

Filed under: Chris Christie • New Jersey
  1. lib

Hey Chris! I am a democrat but I love what Chris Christie is saying and doing.When it comes to helping out americans, parties don't matter. If we can send Billions to other countries we should be able to help our people first. Cut back on money to other countries.

February 27, 2013 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  2. Jett

My advice is to eat less and hit the tread mill.

February 27, 2013 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. Lilli

Gov Christie has common sense and he's not a bigot!! Far too many in the GOP are missing both of those.....

Hillary/Christie 2016

February 27, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  4. Ancient Texan

Jim in Georgia- And John F. Kennedy would regurgitate at what the Dems have become.

February 27, 2013 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  5. Just Saying

I like this guy. He isn't afraid to say what he thinks. A breath of freshair in Politics. I may not always agree with him, but I respect him!

February 27, 2013 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  6. rs

Don't worry gang. Christie will get stomped by the GOP for the crime of at least trying to appear compasionate towards the citizens of New Jersey. If he gets too popular, they'll take him out. He apparently isn't "conservative enough" (whatever that means) anymore.

February 27, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. FG

I'm a Democrat and my suggestion to Chris Christie is to get the hell out of the Republican Party. Run for President as an Independant in 2016. I'll vote for you.

February 27, 2013 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  8. blake

Who cares? RINO blowhard.

February 27, 2013 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  9. don in albuquerque

@ancient texan–Think your right about JFK??? Well I am quite certain Ike and Lincoln will just hang their heads in embarrasment and shock at what the GOTP has become. Your comment is quite disgusting to most Americans.

February 27, 2013 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  10. Steve Hamilton

The Washington Republicans had better listen to this guy. four years ago the GOP declaared war on the sitting president with MitchMcConnell's infamous "my number one priority" speech, and now, guess what, they are losing the war Why?Because the president has learned what every great military leader knows – intelligent confrontation is what wins wars, and then there's the problem of the lack of intelligent leadership at the helm of the GOP, and the issue of how to deal with insurrection from the Tea Party. At the rate they're losing in the PR battle about the negative impact of sequester cuts on the recovery, they will no longer be a party of national significance by 2014. They will be in US History books for decades as a case study in how to lose control of and ruin a once great party.

February 27, 2013 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  11. bob

As a conservative, I am sick of Christie. He is nothing more than a bully and a punk.

February 27, 2013 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  12. Thomas

I think the guy is a hero and I support him.

February 27, 2013 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  13. ElmerGantry

@Meese,

Meese state,
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________

2. Meese
    The Real Tom Paine
    -Meese
    Too bad Obamantation would never take your advice. He is not into workable solutions just division.
    *****************
    You can't fashion a workable solution with people who wanted to make you a one-term president, and who are now determined to wreck the country out of spite. Christie, on the other hand, WAS willing to craft a workable solution to solve a problem, while his own party screwed New Jersey because the storm did not affect their states. If that's not an example of division, I don't know what is. The only disgusting thing in politics is the alternate reality the GOP has built for itself out of Ayn Rand, where selfishness is a virtue, and compassion is a weakness because it interferes with the hoarding of the virtuous rich.
    __________
    Compromise is a two way street unless you missed the logic phase of your education. Obama does not do compromise. The GOP was not built around Ayn Rand although alot of the truth stated in her books are worth discussing. Unfortunately in liberal schools of today that I even went to for college they refuse to discuss it. I do not deem selfishness as being mindful of spending and taxes. I and a lot of people I know do a lot of giving and its a lot more than I save by taking every deduction that is legally feasible. Republicans and Independents as a fact give tmuch more to charity than Democrats and that is not because there are not a ton of wealthy Democrats.
    February 27, 2013 11:55 am at 11:55 am |

"Compromise is a two way street ..." Yes it is a two way street.

However Boehner gave away what the GOP's idea of compromise is when Boehner very publically announced that "I (GOP) got 98% of what I (GOP) wanted."

Yea, that is the Greed Over People idea of compromise; I get 98% of what I want, you get 2%.
    Yep that's some real compromise there.

February 27, 2013 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  14. don in albuquerque

Ancient Texan-Your comment about JFK is repugnant. I wonder what Ike would have to say about the GOPT? After all when he left office he did warn the entire country about letting the military machine become too powerful. A problem which has grown worse, and by the way....this great military machine that the republicans embrace so lovingly, has it won a war since WWll? I think maybe some little Carrib island with a population of a few thousand was a major success.

February 27, 2013 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  15. frank

Ancient Texan

And so would Reagan, Ike, and TR to see what the gop has become...oh that is right...Ike and Tr are rino's

February 27, 2013 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  16. Jules

Christie speaks common sense which means he will never get out of a GOP primary.

February 27, 2013 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  17. IvotedforObama

He is the ONLY Repub I would vote for.

February 27, 2013 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  18. Liz the First

We have leadership in DC, but when you have one party blinded by hate and greed and refusing to govern, nothing can get done. we need to stop electing folks who make a mess of government.

February 27, 2013 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  19. Tom

Dear Governor Christie, Please leave the GOP immediately and start your own party. You are better man and have more morals then the hole GOP combined. You have my vote.

February 27, 2013 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  20. ted

I like hearing what Christie says. The dang fool GOP CPAC buffoons don't like him because HE WAS DOING HIS JOB WITH OBAMA back in November during the Sandy aftermath. CPAC and Karl Rove and Faux News all need to get a grip and give a darn about the issues of the day rather than make them up. Fools

February 27, 2013 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  21. Robert

He is a republican w a democratic legislature. He works w democratic mayors. He governs like a fiscal conservative. He capped property taxes on over taxed homeowners. He capped income taxes on over taxed wage earners. He is a Republican yes. BUT he governs on the behalf of those who voted for him and those who did not. Washington should realize he is a template for governing a complex economy. The art of a deal is pragmatism without forgoing your values. Good job Chris.

February 27, 2013 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  22. john the electrician

Republican or Democrate, both Americans. Rebels on the other hand are just REBELS.

February 27, 2013 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  23. we225

Check the definition of "conservitive " before you decide to be one. Better yet " Compassionate Conservative" ala gw bushie.

February 27, 2013 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  24. Larry L

@Marie MD

Folks, let's not get carried away. Deep down inside Christie is still a rethug.
    ==========================
    Thank you for the wake-up call. A less toxic substance is still toxic.

February 27, 2013 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |