First lady on 'breaking out' of the White House
February 26th, 2013
1 year ago

First lady on 'breaking out' of the White House

Washington (CNN) - Imagine the headline: "First Lady Goes Rogue, Breaks Out of White House."

Michelle Obama jokingly teased the idea of a first lady missing in action during an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America" released Tuesday.

"Going to Target for me is like a dream, you know? That one time I went, you noticed it created a stir," the first lady told ABC's Robin Roberts, apparently referring to an incognito excursion to a Washington-area Target in 2011 where she shopped unnoticed for a while.

"I'm gonna do it again, doggone it," the first lady joked. "Next four years, I'm going out. I'm breaking out. I'm gonna disguise [family dog] Bo. I'm gonna put on a coat. I'm gonna take a walk, and my [Secret Service] agents won't know a thing. Don't tell 'em."

Should the first lady decide to make a run for it, one thing that may give her away is her new hairdo. Amid all the talk about her recently-debuted bangs, Obama –who will turn 50 next year - also joked about why she decided to sport them: as a result of a "mid-life crisis."

"My imagination has to be a little more limited, you know? Would I like to skydive? No, can't do that," the first lady said. "Can I drive? I can't drive. So there are a few things I can do. So why not cut my hair, put a little color in it, do a little something?"

"I'm embracing the bangs," Obama added. "I hope it's good. My husband likes it. He's really the only one that counts."

On the program, the first lady promoted her efforts to help the nation's children eat healthier and be more physically active. Her "Let's Move" nationwide initiative to end childhood obesity is currently on its third anniversary.

The first lady touted the program's success.

"When we started, there were a lot of people in this country who would've never thought that childhood obesity was a health crisis. But now we're starting to see rates of obesity coming down like never before," she said. "This new initiative that we're announcing – the My Plate Recipe Partnership – we're collaborating with some of the top media companies in this country. And they are compiling and labeling and promoting recipes that meet the ‘My Plate’ guidelines."

The new initiative is designed to offer simple tips, via Internet sites, for families hoping to make healthy and affordable meals.

Also during the interview, the first lady joked about President Obama's reaction to 14-year-old daughter Malia's evolving social life as a teenager.

"There's nothing like the look on his face when Malia dresses up for a party, and she's heading out and he walks past, she walks past him, and you can see his face sort of just drop a little bit," the first lady said of her husband. "It's like, 'Who is that?'"

"He's a little gray. People think the gray is from his job. It's from his children."

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Jeff Brown in Jersey

What a beautiful and classy woman!

February 26, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  2. tg

As long as her 'breaking out' of the White House doesn't cost us hard working tax payers a dime, I say go for it. Her vacations are costing us ton as it is. We pay for her multi-million dollar vacations when we can't even afford to take our own family on a cheap vacation. Oh well......"let them eat cake", right?

February 26, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  3. Obama Party Presidency

It's all about being a celebrity or being around celebrities for the Obama's. As for actually doing the work and getting this country working again, well that will have to wait until the next president. Party on fools.

February 26, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Feel free to go where ever you want Madam First Lady. I think you can pull of the average working woman look and no one recognize you. Sike!! You're the most recognizable mom in the country. You'll stick out like a sore thumb. And I don't know you're going to disguise Bo.

February 26, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    You got that right Michelle!
    We have embraced you. You represent ALL of us, Black, White, Latino, Asians....AMERICANS with dignity, poise, intelligence, individuality and pride. We're proud of you and proud of our country by extension for embracing a future without boundaries, without hate, for breaking from old standards that held us back and kept us behind as a peole, as a society.
    Bravo Michelle!

February 26, 2013 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. clarke

The First Lady is a very good person, Thank you!

February 26, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  7. critical thinking

Poor, poor Michelle. She feels the need to break out of that horrible situation she and her kids are in. Give me a break, anyone would trade places in a heartbeat. She and her husband are the two most complaining individuals I have ever heard. They are never happy with all that they got from this country.

February 26, 2013 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  8. carlos

tg.....were you born NEGATIVE ??......it is a terrible thing...

February 26, 2013 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  9. Essie

We just love you, First Lady! Please be careful when you break out, because we want & need you to stay safe! We appreciate everything that you're doing with our military families & your Let's Move initiative. Also, you were amazingly beautiful at the Oscars! Keep us Americans proud of our First Family...because we're proud of you! :)

February 26, 2013 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  10. Name Csrl

Love michelle Obama. She's a good lady..Very proud of our First Lady....

February 26, 2013 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. The NRA is a T e r r o r i st organisation....Arming Mentally Unbalanced People to Kill Innocent Children

Love her to bits!

Eat your heart out HATERS!!!!

February 26, 2013 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. PatheticCNN

Obama advisors purposely putting First Lady Forward this whole week to Divert Liberals attention from President who is going thru miserable time handling Congress on Sequster Issue.

February 26, 2013 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. REPUBLICAN ARE THE GREATEST

I am getting sick of the Obama's can not wait until they are out of the White House and back in Chicago where they belong.

February 26, 2013 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  14. Tracy

Give me a freakin' break. This woman has the life of luxury. Dines on the best food (paid by the tax payer) takes vacations worth millions (paid by the tax payer) never has to cook or clean, never worry about paying bills and never has to worry where her next meal is coming from and she wants to tell us she's the 'victim'. I'm about to puke all over this keyboard.

February 26, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  15. jas106

I've been a fan of the first lady quite some time but have recently had a change of heart. I now see her (and our president) much differently. She parades herself around on TV to make sure we all get to see her and then wants to break out? Anything to grab more attention I guess. As long as her approval ratings are high then maybe she can keep our attention away from how poorly our president is really doing at leading our country out of the mess we are in... He really needs to step up or we are going to be in an even bigger mess than we are in right now.

Just for once I wish we could concentrate on our president's actions/inactions and hold him accountable without blaming anything negative on either Bush or the republicans and praising him for accomplishments even if they were a result of something started in the previous administration. Seriously, it really is getting quite old...

February 26, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  16. Wilson

Obama, the "Great Media Controller," continues the distractions from his sequestrian problems. No informed person is buying his "the sky will fall," cries. Let the sequester happen.

February 26, 2013 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

What right wingers do when their party loses a general election to a black President twice? Well, short of seceeding or going on a mass Kool-Aid drinking revival, they show up on the internet to spew their blatant bigotry, racism, hate, envy and jealousy. I have something to say to you people...African-Americans have survived four hundred years of slavery and decades of Jim Crow isolation and oppression. We were spat on, verbally and physically abused, embarrased, humiliated, degraded, laughted at, intimidated, stepped on, whipped, hosed and have had police dogs on us because we demanded our freedom and unalienable right to live the American dream. And I like to say that our freedom came the old fashioned way...WE EARNED IT. But regardless of the trials and tribulations we faced as a people, we have overcome the struggles and today, we can say that we're PROUD to become doctors, lawyers, Governors, Mayors, entrepreneurs, scientists, innovators, Astronauts and yes, First Lady and President of the United States of America. So with the above being stated, what effects do you right wingers actually believe your blatant and silly name calling are going to have on African-Americans or on the First Lady and President??? Nada, zip, none, zero. Please change your hateful ways and grow up. We will be a better nation if you people learn to respect one another. Just try it for one day and see what good it would do for you and your family and the country as a whole.

February 26, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  18. chester Davis

Man so many hater out there get a life will you. She is a great lady, a great mom and First Lady. As for you Republicans you need to wake the F up. She has done so much for this county. She shown young ladies what it means to be a great mom only if we all just stood back and learn something. Yes don't get me wrong she has it made but grounded at the same time. I would not nice if and when she breaks out it does not cost the Tax players any money but I agree she needs to get out. Now the hard thing is not to be seen and how are you going to hide BO I guess cust his hair. LOL

February 26, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  19. ThinkAgain

@critical thinking: "Poor, poor Michelle. She feels the need to break out of that horrible situation she and her kids are in. Give me a break, anyone would trade places in a heartbeat."

Given the fact that as close to "critical thinking" you'll ever get is from typing your screen name, you've got nothing to worry about when it comes to trading places with any member of the First Family.

February 26, 2013 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  20. ritmocojo

Love it the way this gets under the 'hater's' skins. You go Michelle, you go lady!

February 26, 2013 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. Victoria Keister

Criticized for some honesty? Try living in a glass box for a while my friends... All first ladies get a bad wrap it seems. Partnership and all leadership come at a price-initially appealing, window dressing all around then the true understanding of trade-offs come to bear. As a fellow mom, I relish any trip to Target; whether to shop, think or escape. Our first lady is no different. Consider that for the rest of her life she will have protective service detailed and checking into her 'business' all in the effort of security.
    Find the wit and humor she embodies and engaged social change she is promoting in and for our country. I appreciate her disclosure of family fun and foibles along this journey (read that last paragraph, parents of any teen can relate ).
    Break out Michelle, I got your back!

February 26, 2013 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  22. Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer

As I said, sticks and stones or four hundred years of FREE slave labor and decades of Jim Crow oppression may have broken our ancestors bones but what they've taught us is that words won't hurt us.

February 26, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  23. Jim

I dn't really need to have the first lady parading around on TV like some sort of reality TV star. Save that for after Pres Obama is out of office. It really downgrades the leadership of the country when the country's leaders and their respective spouses start popping up on talk shows, award shows and other video ops like the cast of Jersey Shore. Leaders should be more dignified and reserved while in office when it comes to TV appearances. We have enough buffoons on TV, we don't need to add the country's leaders to that looong list.

February 26, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  24. Voter

Maybe she'll break out of that closet she's in.

February 26, 2013 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  25. Journey

I wish she would tell her husband and his cronies to make the economy 'break out'...this isn't a game folks.

The more things "Change" the more they....

February 26, 2013 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |