First lady on 'breaking out' of the White House
February 26th, 2013

First lady on 'breaking out' of the White House

Washington (CNN) - Imagine the headline: "First Lady Goes Rogue, Breaks Out of White House."

Michelle Obama jokingly teased the idea of a first lady missing in action during an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America" released Tuesday.

"Going to Target for me is like a dream, you know? That one time I went, you noticed it created a stir," the first lady told ABC's Robin Roberts, apparently referring to an incognito excursion to a Washington-area Target in 2011 where she shopped unnoticed for a while.

"I'm gonna do it again, doggone it," the first lady joked. "Next four years, I'm going out. I'm breaking out. I'm gonna disguise [family dog] Bo. I'm gonna put on a coat. I'm gonna take a walk, and my [Secret Service] agents won't know a thing. Don't tell 'em."

Should the first lady decide to make a run for it, one thing that may give her away is her new hairdo. Amid all the talk about her recently-debuted bangs, Obama –who will turn 50 next year - also joked about why she decided to sport them: as a result of a "mid-life crisis."

"My imagination has to be a little more limited, you know? Would I like to skydive? No, can't do that," the first lady said. "Can I drive? I can't drive. So there are a few things I can do. So why not cut my hair, put a little color in it, do a little something?"

"I'm embracing the bangs," Obama added. "I hope it's good. My husband likes it. He's really the only one that counts."

On the program, the first lady promoted her efforts to help the nation's children eat healthier and be more physically active. Her "Let's Move" nationwide initiative to end childhood obesity is currently on its third anniversary.

The first lady touted the program's success.

"When we started, there were a lot of people in this country who would've never thought that childhood obesity was a health crisis. But now we're starting to see rates of obesity coming down like never before," she said. "This new initiative that we're announcing – the My Plate Recipe Partnership – we're collaborating with some of the top media companies in this country. And they are compiling and labeling and promoting recipes that meet the ‘My Plate’ guidelines."

The new initiative is designed to offer simple tips, via Internet sites, for families hoping to make healthy and affordable meals.

Also during the interview, the first lady joked about President Obama's reaction to 14-year-old daughter Malia's evolving social life as a teenager.

"There's nothing like the look on his face when Malia dresses up for a party, and she's heading out and he walks past, she walks past him, and you can see his face sort of just drop a little bit," the first lady said of her husband. "It's like, 'Who is that?'"

"He's a little gray. People think the gray is from his job. It's from his children."

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. AZ Girl

Dear Ms. Michelle,

Would LOVE doing a Tàrget run with you anytime! Let's throw on the sweats, a cap, some glasses and kicks and go for it! I'll run interference with the "MIB" and we can take my Ford Focus!
    The bangs which I think are great, can go under the cap! But leave Bo at home, he wouldn't like being cooped up in the car.

Over Starbucks, we can talk about all the fowl, NASTY comments these people seem to make about good people. Personally, it makes my stomach turn with disgust.

Stay strong, classy and above it all!

February 26, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. gijames1225

It's interesting how much the first family has worked to make the presidency a celebrity status too. I'm not even sure if it's wrong, but it's an interesting change from the Bush and Clinton years where it was more stately and reserved. Probably just a reflection of a more tabloid driven nation.

February 26, 2013 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

"Break out Michelle, I got your back!"

As do I. I really can't quite put my finger on why the right wing has now directed their finger pointing at Barack Obama's wife. And, yes, I know. This finger pointing started a few (four) years back. And wink, wink, I do know why.

If this is the direction Zucker is taking CNN (I suppose I should include ALL pundits who are now complaining about Michelle) I can only say ... have at it.

What is one more temper tantrum in a media frenzy that has already lowered itself beyond what most Americans consider decent and/or honest reporting.

You media folks might like to get out of your bubbles, too. You have no idea what the majority of Americans think or feel ... all that polling you quote notwithstanding.

February 26, 2013 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  4. Can we all get along

It's a damn shame all of the negative comments on this article. This woman has class and beauty. Nobody ever bashed the Bush women when they were FLOTUS. Every time there is a article, all you see are a bunch of negativity. Racism and hate is such a sad tool that will never go away....BTW. What did black people do to make white people hate them so much? SAD, my kids have to grow up to this!!

February 26, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  5. critical thinking

Hey ThinkAgain, you must be confusing me with someone or in this case anyone who truely cares what you think. Go along little sheeps, follow the obama's to the slaughterhouse.

February 26, 2013 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  6. jane

@critical thinking: Who gave you that post name? Because you wouldn't recognize 'critical thinking' if it jumped up and bit you in the ignorant rearend.

February 26, 2013 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  7. Laurie in Spokane

I didn't see the word "victim" in the story,,,,,,...............just another negative person.
    No matter what the Obamas do, say, portray, look at, like, dislike, endorse, eat, don't eat, read, don't read, on and on and on – there's going to be pathetic bitter and perpetually critical people out there to lambast them just because. Sooo Sad. They're just people after all.

February 26, 2013 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  8. kayla

blah blah could not have said it better. love it. from slavery to the white house that your ancestors built for free and hard labor

February 26, 2013 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  9. enough is enough

Dancing with the Stars has to be the next stop. Then maybe a judge on American Idol. And of course her own reality TV show "Breakin' out of Livin' the High Life". All while the country falls apart. Wake up America before it is too late.

February 26, 2013 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  10. Disgusted

Spend more of our money that we don't have. That seems to be what this administration is known for. Party on!

February 26, 2013 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  11. freedom

@Jim
    Couldn't agree with you more. It's embarrassing. Now with everything on the internet, the whole world sees this inappropriate behavior from our White House. And all this parading is during a severe fiscal crisis which the president won't address, and threats from the terrorists, which our president lies about.

February 26, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. us_1776

Michelle is cool !!

February 26, 2013 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  13. Namerene

Michelle, maybe you should practice what you preach, moo chelle

February 26, 2013 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. R1983

I think Michelle is the best First Lady we have had. So beautiful, classes, and don't mention smart, she is all of these things and more. I love her and President Obama. I wish we could vote him in again in 2016. I know there is not one GOP who
    can win against him. Oh well we will have to make sure Mrs Clinton run and win.

February 26, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. freedom

@gijames1225
    The celebrity status they seek – as you referenced – is about abusing their position of power in a tasteless and narcissistic way. Not only is this embarrassing, it's damaging to the country. Their priorities are not serving the country well. And we all live in the new age of technology – we think, and make choices. Choices have consequences.

February 26, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  16. Former Republican

The GOP hates the President so much that they even attack his family. They hate them because they are black.

February 26, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  17. Republican Retards

Retard BUSH caused all the deficits we are facing now. DEAL WITH IT GOP MORONS!

February 26, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  18. AnalyticalOne

No matter who you are you will never please everyone all of the time!!! It sickens me to hear people complaining about the Obama's as if they are the first President and First Lady to go on vacation or pass bills that upset the people. GET A LIFE!!!! Come on people, do you think she is the first First Lady that wanted to just get away from it all. Its just like being a superstar. You are always on public display. I do understand her dilemma. I'm not a whiner so the ones that are on here whining go somewhere and sit it down b/c ain't nobody got time for that!!!!!

February 26, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. just sayin

the good news is that it is almost march so you know what that means don't you??? vacation time again!!! all of this hob knobbing with the stars is downright exhausting!

February 26, 2013 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Former Republican

-------------------------------------------------
    Correct.

February 26, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  21. anoel2005

I WONDER what Michelle THINKS ABOUT.........

"The “Change You can Believe In” President – is selling access to himself for $500,000..... MSNBC’s Chuck Todd says so. "
    "Obama’s Campaign Organization that has morphed into an “advocacy group”
    is brazenly stating that donors who give or raise $500,000 get to have
    meetings with Obama."

February 26, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Blah blah...
    Outstanding post....simply OUTSTANDING. Thank you so much.

February 26, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. ryche

Oh my god CNN, please keep this gross looking woman off your webpage... that picture you posted is disgusting.. her face looks like a clown.. with all that clown makeup on.. she looks like dennis rodman in drag... well actually more like patrick ewing in drag... grossssss... lets get a real first lady in the white house.. someone with some class... who isn't an attention wh0re.. again.. gross...

February 26, 2013 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  24. Expat American

Daughters give their father's grey hairs....but they're the good kind of grey hairs. :)

February 26, 2013 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  25. Nsikan

@ryche, hmmm. What else can I say. Control yourself please otherwise hatred will spell doom for you. Am sorry, wish I could be of any help. I could feel the hate!!

February 26, 2013 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |