Michelle Obama gives weight loss advice
March 4th, 2013
1 year ago

Michelle Obama gives weight loss advice

(CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama has some advice for children on losing weight: Don't think about appearances.

"The first thing that we want to make sure that we do is not make this an issue about looks," Obama said Monday in her first Google+ Hangout.

For the third year in a row, the first lady is pushing her "Let's Move" campaign against childhood obesity. The initiative has taken her on the road in recent days, stopping by for some now-viral "mom dancing" on Jimmy Fallon's late-night comedy show, and holding events in Illinois, Mississippi and Missouri. She also taped two public service announcements with one of Sesame Street's biggest stars, Big Bird.

Speaking to one of the Google participants–who said he lost 200 pounds down from 400–in the session, Obama addressed ways to teach kids how to combat weight loss without thinking about weight.

"We should really talk to kids about how they feel, how they feel inside so that we are not just dealing with the physical manifestations of the challenge but we are really tapping into what is going on inside that head of that child," she said. "And then we want to talk about ways to make it fun."

When her own daughters were going through "some of these similar challenges" when they were little, Obama said she "never talked about weight in the household."

"We just started to make changes. And we made changes in a way that didn't make them feel badly about themselves," she said. "It didn't even make them feel any ownership over it because truly kids that age can't control what they eat."

Participants also quizzed Obama on more personal topics, such as whether she still plays the piano (She "dabbles"), how to keep one's dog from getting fat ("get them out there and throw the ball") and what's her favorite dance move ("It's obviously the Dougie").

Asked about her chance to present best picture at the Oscars last week, the first lady said the night was "absolutely nerve wracking."

"It was live and nobody knew we were doing it...I was a little more nervous than I thought I'd be. I thought I'd drop the envelope. I thought I'd get the name wrong," she said, adding that overall it was an "awesome moment."

"It was pretty intimidating but I got through it," she said.

Filed under: Google • Michelle Obama
  1. Getoverit

Ah, the daily Obama fluff article. What about the starving babies from the sequester?

March 4, 2013 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. patricia Elam

She is overweight, who is she to give advice, go on a diet yourself, and the Kids are not listening to you anyway, they do not know you and you are not anyway involved in the lives of other peoples children,

March 4, 2013 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  3. tess

has this woman not got a rear view three way mirror anywhere in the white house ? if not, i suggest she get one before giving the rest of america advise on weight loss and diet!!!

March 4, 2013 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Rob

she isn't someone who should give advice on weight loss or exercise, just an amateur who wants to control food

among other things

March 4, 2013 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  5. freedom

This couple needs to get out of our doctor's offices, our kitchens, our schools, our bedrooms, and our parenting rights. They are invasive and communistic. We are a free country – stay out of our personal lives and our rights as a free people of this nation!

March 4, 2013 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  6. Joi Gibson

@tess and patricia elam – what a ridiculous thing to say. Mrs. Obama is not overweight and she is very fit.

Must you people make crude comments – I mean the horror of her trying to help prevent child obesity.

March 4, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. Fair is Fair

I'll take weight loss advice from the First Lady the same day I take cooking lessons from Jeffrey Dhamer.

March 4, 2013 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  8. AmericaLovesMichelleObama

She has every right to give out weight loss advice! I love her Let's Move campaign, because kids are really enjoying going out and playing at recess in schools and at home. So, she is very well qualified to talk on being overweight! Have you seen her gorgeous figure?! *I LOVE this lady! :)

March 4, 2013 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. Essie

First off, the PLOTUS has every right to help or give advice concerning weight loss! She has a fantastic body, nice framed rear, awesome arms, and extremely physically fit! ~I'm tired of hearing haters saying that her butt is big! Then please tell me why caucasian women buy & implant fake butts?! They obviously desire to have bigger rears! So PLEASE stop hating on the First Lady fantastic butt & body! ...We would love to hear her advice!

March 4, 2013 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |