What Obama and senators ate at dinner
March 7th, 2013

What Obama and senators ate at dinner

(CNN) - What was on the table Wednesday night when President Barack Obama and twelve GOP senators sat down for dinner? Aside from a major impasse over reducing the federal deficit, there was striped bass and filet of beef.

A special menu was created at Plume restaurant at the Jefferson Hotel in Washington for the event, based on their normal prix fixe offering, which costs $85 per person, excluding tax, tip, and beverages. Click here to see the special menu created for the dinner, or click past the jump to see what was offered.

APPETIZERS

Golden Beet Soup
Quail Egg, Horseradish Crème Fraîche, Chives

Hamachi Tartar
Shishito and Jalapeño Condiment, Pickled Vegetable Spaghetti, Cucumber Gelée

Maryland Blue Crab Risotto
Crab Emulsion, Espelette

Raw and Cooked Vegetable Salad
Asparagus Marmalade, Seasonal Truffle, Verjus Dressing

ENTREES

Roasted Striped Bass
Baby Artichokes Two Ways- Braised "Barigoule" and "Chips", Warm Parmesan Vinaigrette

Colorado Lamb Açai

Heart of Guanaja Chocolate Tart
Passionata Cremeux, Sumatra Coffee Ice Cream

Iced Tahitian Vanilla and Praline Bar
Mango Chutney with Saffron Pistils, Coconut Rocks, Kalamansi Caviar

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Let's put this to rest right now: The President PERSONALLY paid for this dinner. That would mean out of his OWN pocket.
    Personally I would not have treated these crows to a shared medium-sized Slurpee from 7-Eleven.
    But that's just me.

March 7, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

Fancy dinner. Wouldn't they have been better off with some good old-fashioned comfort food?

Last night I started my usual garden salad, so that I don't eat too much of the fattening stuff. For comfort food, I had herb roasted chicken breast, roasted garlic mashed spuds, and sauteed brussel sprout leaves. Yes, I take the time to remove the core, separate all of the leaves, then and caramelize them in EVOO: finish it with roasted garlic and lemon peppper.

March 7, 2013 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

Hey CNN. Help me out here. I am curious as to what I am supposed to "take away" from this article. It's a bit juvenille to think that I or any other American actually would care what our Senators and our President ... eat.

March 7, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  4. Borderless

Obama had the crow. After his ridiculous assertions regarding Armageddon in the wake of the sequester, it was a fitting meal for our failed leader.

March 7, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  5. rla

investigative reporting at its best– CNN actually wasted reporters time and space on the internet to report this! Not wonder media is considered worthless by the public!

March 7, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. Tracy

WOW, thanks for this hard hitting story CNN. I mean really, why worry about reporting how Obama is giving Egypt 250 MILLION dollars as he cuts tours for children at the White House or cutting pay raises for our soldiers. Yep, our 'Campaigning in Chief' would much rather give money to the Muslim Botherhood than helping folks in our own country.

March 7, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  7. Larry the liberal

Obama can I get an invite to your next dinner?

March 7, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  8. jpmichigan

How much did that cost the American taxpayer?

March 7, 2013 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  9. Rodney

Thank God CNN informed us of this!! I didn't know how Americans were going to make it through the day without knowing this!

March 7, 2013 11:24 am at 11:24 am |