Hagel arrives in Afghanistan on first trip as defense secretary
March 8th, 2013

Hagel arrives in Afghanistan on first trip as defense secretary

(CNN) - The first Vietnam veteran to be U.S. defense secretary is spending his first overseas trip on the job thanking soldiers and Marines.

At about 11 a.m. ET Friday, Hagel touched down in Kabul, Afghanistan.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Afghanistan • Chuck Hagel
  1. Pete

Remember Mr.Hagel sir,keep your friends close and your enemies closer..Good luck on your new role as Sec of Defense....And please show people here what bipartanship means ,its a lost art here stateside!!

March 8, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Hagel, in a message to ISAF pesonnel, praised the troops "working under stressful and difficult conditions." He promised his "full support" in helping them succeed and come home safely as Afghans transition into the lead for combat operations.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Coming from one of their own that statement must've meant a lot to them.
    Congratulations Mr. Hagel. I find that determined steely look in your eyes very reassuring. They will be hard pressed to run ramshod all over you sir.

March 8, 2013 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

"The first Vietnam veteran to be U.S. defense secretary is spending his first overseas trip on the job thanking soldiers and Marines."

Godspeed to you, Mr. Hagel. And Godspeed to all our troops ... in Afganistan and elsewhere.

March 8, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  4. ST

Keep the good job Hagel, there are a lot of enemies around the globe waiting to attack innocent people.
    I was watching Morning Joe today, and I wondered where are reasoning people gone? Are they all dead??
    I couldn't believe what I heard, Joe Scarborough, David Gregory, Eugene Robinson praising Rand Paul filibuster. Are these people lost their mind?? If no one will be tough on these enemies watching to attack Americans, Sept. 11, 2001 will be just a test. They are ready to kill as many Americans as they can. Whatever is done now to avoid this catastrophic to happen, should be encouraged and not discouraged.

March 8, 2013 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. Romney is Still NOT My Hero

@ ST -- Sorry to tell you, but some people will not be happy until every man, woman, boy and girl have assault rifles and we're at constant war. They feed off of and praise chaos and tragedy but peace and unity be damned.

March 8, 2013 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"I was watching Morning Joe today"

"I couldn't believe what I heard"

Your first time watching?

March 8, 2013 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |