Rand Paul: McCain doesn't always respect me
March 8th, 2013

Rand Paul: McCain doesn't always respect me

(CNN) – Disparagement from members of his own party has Sen. Rand Paul recalling the golden rule: treat others as you would like to be treated.

Responding to Sen. John McCain's condemnation of his thirteen hour filibuster, Paul said Friday that while "I treat Sen. McCain with respect, I don't know if I always get the same in return."

Paul was speaking on The Mike Huckabee radio show. Earlier in the day, McCain told The Huffington Post that Paul, along with Sen. Ted Cruz - who assisted in Wednesday's filibuster - was a "wacko bird" that could taint American's impressions of the GOP.

"I think it can be harmful if there is a belief among the American people that those people are reflective of the views of the majority of Republicans. They're not," he told the website.

That was after McCain took to the floor of the Senate to publically chastise Paul for the marathon speaking session, which held up the confirmation of John Brennan to become CIA director. Paul and his allies were seeking answers on the Obama's administration's use of unmanned drones.

"All I can say is that I don't think that what happened yesterday is helpful to the American people," the Arizona Republican said on the Senate floor. McCain, along with fellow Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, were skeptical of Paul's claim that the Obama administration was dodging the question of whether or not Americans could be killed by drones within the United States.

The reprimands from McCain drew a perplexed reaction from Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker and 2012 GOP presidential candidate.

"I don't know what's happened to John McCain but I find it very sad," Gingrich said on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

"I'm really disappointed in John McCain, and I'm very saddened by it," Gingrich continued. "McCain in his younger years was a great maverick. He took on his party all the time."

Paul shrugged the rebukes off Friday, saying his critics were "on the wrong side of history."

While he praised McCain for his heroism during the Vietnam War, Paul was adamant that it didn't make his colleague correct.

"He deserves respect for spending years and years in prison in the Vietnam War. But I would say that it doesn't mean that his ideas always trump everybody else's ideas," he said.

Filed under: John McCain • Rand Paul
  1. Marie MD

hey, little boy,listen up.
    Respect is earned and you haven't gotten enough of anything to deserve respect. Maybe the KKK need a new wizard. They are more your type.

March 8, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  2. Anthony in California

1.The whole Republican circus doesnt respect anything.
    2. What makes Rand think he's done anything to deserve respect.
    3.Cry me a river.

March 8, 2013 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  3. Flyspec

I'm nobody, and I don't have any respect for you. Let's see how low you can go.

March 8, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. Pander Bear

Oh boo hoo Aqua Buddha. You shouted that the President was going to kill everyone with drones and even curmudgeon and affirmed Obama hater John McCain knew you were blowing smoke just to raise your profile.

March 8, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. Wilson

McCain needs to retire.

March 8, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  6. don in abluqueque

I wouldn't worry about it too much AquaBuddha. As long as as stay off his lawn, and don't take the Sunday morning talk shows away from him he will forget your name within a week. As will rest of us.

March 8, 2013 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. Bill

@Marie MD

Agreed. This little whelp needs to learn that respect is something that you must earn. He is an absolute clown.

March 8, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  8. ARTraveler

McCain thinks that Rand Paul's mini-filibuster " could taint American's impressions of the GOP" as you put it? No, John, you did a lot more to the GOP image with the selection of Sarah Palin as your VP nominee in 2008. And the acceptance of the Tea Party by the GOP has certainly further destroyed what was the GOTP image which is now thst you, Graham, and others are just obstructionists to getting the country over the Bush depression. There isn't much that can make the GOTP image any worse than it already is.

March 8, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  9. rla

The clown liberalsare a joke... Paul has something they don't respect! Gut , Love of country and a backbone!

March 8, 2013 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

Lack of respect is a GOP trademark. The children are having a picnic on their elders: so much for tradtional values.

March 8, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

Oh, look. A TeaPer playing the "woe is me" victim card. This guy is hilarious in a stupid kind of way. Freshman to the core.

March 8, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  12. Name lynn

Paul you are a handsome man mccain look like a devil with a snow ball, mccain don repect the president nor the white house leaders les known the republicans an dont forget hes vice president sarah they both doom.

March 8, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  13. The REAL Truth...

cCain thinks that Rand Paul's mini-filibuster " could taint American's impressions of the GOP" ????
    Not much chance of that happening John. You, Failin Palin and the crew started that in 2008. Then came the effort last year where the likes of Romney, Cain and co were paraded. That went so well, the GOP lost the Electoral College vote by a 61% margin. Now we have McCain and Graham whining about Benghazi, and the likes of Rubio, Paul and Ryan all vying for the 2016 spot.. ALREADY???
    The GOP has been tainted for some time, and seriously needs to re-invent itself, or it will be irrelevant in 2014, long before 2016 even gets here..

March 8, 2013 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. Republicans; the "Not Intended to be Factually Accurate" Party

Either someone ALWAYS respects you or they NEVER do. McCain nevers respect you Paul.

McCain is a WARMONGER. It`s his foundational DNA. Anyone or anything that gets in the way of his visceral "all-things-militeristic- are good" philosophy [Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran, etc.] will anger McCain.

If Paul wants to run for President, he`ll expose the fissures between Republicans and Libertarians. A 3rd Bush equals a 4th war.

March 8, 2013 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. DumbasRocks [R]s

Hey, rla, I sure do love it when the less-evolved creatures on the tree-of-life eat their own. What's that in your mouth...?

March 8, 2013 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  16. Seth A Drekin

I don't really agree with just about anything Rand Paul says. I certainly am not worried about the US Government Drone Striking me. But I have great Respect for any member of congress who will use a proper filibuster to stand up for what they believe in. Senators, like McCain and Graham, should be ashamed of themselves for the dysfunction they have caused with false filibusters and show some respect for a person who actually uses his office and the rules of congress appropriately.

March 8, 2013 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. Jinx9to88

Well Mr. Paul when you tell the American people that the government is gonna kill you on american soil t doesnt sit to well. America has enough right wing crazies out there that believe everything that is on fox news.

March 8, 2013 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  18. Homer8

Hey Senator Paul - I live in Kentucky, and I have never had one iota of respect for you. I worked my hind end off to see that you were not elected, yet you were elected. Now you have spent your first 2 years representing Kentucky by writing and promoting a book, campaigning for your Dad, and showing your ignorance whenever you venture into public, outside of your frequent, almost regular, appearances on FOX. News flash: You will be POTUS when pigs fly.

March 8, 2013 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. Laverne

Both McCain and Paul have shown President very little respect, so I could care less about either!

March 8, 2013 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  20. ronvan

VOTE them all out! Maybe then we would get some fresh blood that actually has a brain and can talk!

March 8, 2013 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. The NRA is a T e r r o r i st organisation....and do you know why Rush Limbaugh doesn't have guest in his show? Because he's a Blowhard who can't debate the issue

the circular firing squad of the GOP continues!!! LOL

There is just so much hate in the GOP-TeaParty that they are eating their own...so much for calling President Obama the enemy; now we have them calling each other out as wacko birds and wacko dododo!!

LOL

March 8, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  22. Jeff in Virginia

It's impossible to defend either one of these clowns. McCain is acting like a senile old man, and Rand Paul is acting like a petulant child. Get rid of them both!

March 8, 2013 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  23. bcrunner

Respect? They want respect? Respect Rand Paul, for what? He sat there and rambled on and on about how Obama could send a drone to kill anyone of us while we are sitting at a cafe in San Francisco, Houston, etc. etc. I sat there listening to him in disbelief.... I was actually laughing... Now, having said that, Johh McCain is not the man I supported back in 2000 either.. Just his choice for VP was a disaster and he lurched to the right so far to be re-elected, that he is no longer believable when he tries to correct others.... He still has not accepted his 2008 defeat. Perfect example his Bengazi rants... I still respect his service to the country, but that's just about it!!

March 8, 2013 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  24. Martha in CF

The redumblican party does not deserve respect from anyone......I guess even between fellow redumblican!!!!!!

March 8, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  25. cbr

Sen. McCain may not be the only person whom Sen. Paul believes does not respect him. Respect is usually a two way street and when Mr. Paul does not show respect so it is more difficult to respect him. His statements and his answers to questions do not always instill confidence. The filibuster did not need to happen. Did Sen. Paul ask A.G. Holder about the use of drones? The fact that he even hinted that the administration would use them against American citizens made me realize that he used this whole issue as a mean to get public reaction and support. He was disrespectful to the President of the USA but that is not unusual for Sen. Paul.

March 8, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |