Senate panel approves expanded background checks on gun sales
March 12th, 2013

Senate panel approves expanded background checks on gun sales

Washington (CNN) – A Senate committee on Tuesday approved legislation that would expand background checks covering all gun sales.

The Judiciary Committee, however, did not take up a proposed ban on assault weapons, agreeing to put consideration of that measure off until Thursday at the earliest.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Gun control • Gun rights • Senate
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Universal background checks is a common sense measure. I'm dying to see which senators vote against it. I'll be watching C-Span for that vote.

March 12, 2013 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  2. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I hope that makes it through the whole Senate and the House; later also for Obama's approval.

March 12, 2013 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

With the current crop of Republicans, passing a committee vote is meaningless. They have been known to support a bill in committee and then turn right around and filibuster it.

March 12, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  4. Thomas

What about Gun shows ?

March 12, 2013 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  5. AP

As a legal gun owner – I make that distinction for all the anti-gun nutz, I fully support universal background checks on all sales. I support better databases to check and I support 3 day waiting periods. I don't support the over-zealous – lets ban "bad guns" and start trying to confiscate people weapons of choice.

March 12, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

AP

-------------------
    The only people who are serious when the talk about taking guns away are the paranoid delusionals buried in their bunkers who really need to have their guns taken away. That's why they're so fearful of it. They know that if they were found out, then they would be arrested and charged. It happens all too frequently in the NYC area. Once a month you hear about someone with no gun permit being found with dozens of illegal firearms.

March 12, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  7. Fair is Fair

"If there is a complete list of who owned which firearms out there, then investigators can start to narrow down who is selling firearms to criminals and get them to stop via fines or jail time."
    ------
    This has nothing to do with registration. This has to to with eligibility to purchase.

March 12, 2013 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  8. Greg

I am ok with universal background checks, but we need to understand a few things. 1.) Criminals don't obey the law so don't expect to see criminals partaking in this. 2.) States need to report good and accurate data. We can't tolerate states not reporting.

March 12, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  9. Greg

Rudy, did you see in California and Missouri, proposals to confiscate? Did you see the recent IL Democrat talking about "it's just the beginning." There are people serious about confiscation, and they are showing their hands. Just look at the news. It's not tin foil hattery anymore.

March 12, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  10. Sniffit

"What about Gun shows ?"

Sorry, but having a legalized black market for gun sales to criminals...noe that requires no background checks, etc....is the NRA/gun nut's best way of insuring that more gun-related violence occurs that they can then point to as justifying their own gun ownership and willy-nilly regulation thereof.

March 12, 2013 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  11. Rudy NYC

Greg wrote:

Rudy, did you see in California and Missouri, proposals to confiscate?
    ----------------–
    On the one hand, gun advocates promote the ideas like this one. The police in Chicago should stop and frisk the bad guys and take their guns away. The promote ideas of taking guns away from criminals all of the time, except when the criminals begins to look like themselves. If it is illegals for some individuals to own or purchase a gun, then what is wrong a law that makes it possible to take any guns that they might have away? I think the realy problem is that such a law hits a little too close to home for some folks.

March 12, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  12. milan milenkovic

I gave my full support to President for gun control. As I know , is NOT that difficult to get Gun Permit in Virginia : take a class, go with instructor on ranch to shoot a gun, and apply for gun permit…1.Federal Gov. and Attorney General should bring Law: NO guns on Campus in ALL States. 2.Give me please one example why we need AR-15 or any other assault weapons, in everyday life??? Gallup poll on 03.11.13. show that only 13% Americans support Congress?

March 12, 2013 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  13. SafeJourney

Its a start.

March 12, 2013 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

---------------
    What about eligibility to continue to own?

March 12, 2013 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  15. cruisinpast

Why on earth would anyone NOT want a background check on a person buying a gun?

March 12, 2013 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |