Stephen Colbert: 'It's my sister and I'm willing to help her'
March 18th, 2013
1 year ago

Stephen Colbert: 'It's my sister and I'm willing to help her'

(CNN) – What does it take for Stephen Colbert to step out of character? A sibling running for office.

Speaking to CNN Chief Washington Correspondent Jake Tapper, Colbert said the South Carolina primary where his sister is a candidate is the first race he's dived into.

"She's my sister, and I'm willing to, you know, break the jewel of my own creation to try to do something for her," Colbert said on CNN's "The Lead." "I'm not worried what it would do to me or my show to try to help her as myself, not as my character, and to help her as myself."

Elizabeth Colbert Busch is running for the U.S. House seat vacated by now-Sen. Tim Scott, a Republican appointed to fill the Senate spot that Jim DeMint left last month. A primary will be held Tuesday ahead of the May special election.

Also seeking the seat in the GOP-leaning district are 16 Republicans, the most recognizable among them being former Gov. Mark Sanford.

Stephen Colbert has campaigned for his sister in the Palmetto State, including holding a fundraiser in a bowling alley.

On his Comedy Central show, Colbert assumes the stance of a right-wing pundit, and rarely drops the façade during interviews or public appearances.

"If people think that's not the right thing for me to do, I don't care," Colbert said. "It's my sister and I'm willing to help her."

Filed under: South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. caesarbc

This time it is serious! Hurry – start a super pack!!!

March 19, 2013 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  2. FORWARD

Bobbie, didn't know you we're the "comedian – in – chief" at the White House, lol

March 19, 2013 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  3. Jack Be Humble

Colbert has a strong positive following; this can't help but improve his sister's chances. I've read her Bio on wikipedia; she seems qualified for the position. I guess we'll wait and see what happens in the election.

March 19, 2013 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  4. beezers

Interesting that the article veers away from actually telling us that she's running in the Democrat Primary. Sure, they mention Republicans and that it's a GOP leaning district, but heavens to betsy if they actually reported that she was a Democrat. This article assumes her celebrity (through her brother) is all that matters. Yeah, because Schwarzenegger was such a great governor in CA. I'm sick of celebrities in politics. Of course, everyone in politics today seem phony.

March 19, 2013 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  5. Michael J. Anthony

What would Stephen Colbert think of this?

March 19, 2013 03:08 am at 3:08 am |
  6. Langkard

Perhaps the "CNN Political Unit" who wrote the story should read it and see if he or she can determine, just from the story, to which party Elizabeth Colbert Busch belongs? The article doesn't say. Perhaps inferences can be drawn, but readers must go elsewhere just to find out her party affiliation; something which should have been included in the article. Do they not teach simple things like this in journalism school now? Basic journalism fail.

March 19, 2013 08:05 am at 8:05 am |
  7. Simm7

The voters here know she is a Democrat. What does it matter if anyone outside of here knows what party she is? The ballot will not hide her affiliation.

March 19, 2013 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  8. GonzoinHouston

If she wins, Colbert will have a ton of new material for his show. "Never mind her known issues, let me tell you all about that great incident carefully hidden in her past! When she was in the fourth grade,,,,,,,"

March 19, 2013 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  9. Hugh Jass

Mark "I ran off with a girl and you voters paid for it" Sanford is going to win, because after all, he cheated on his wife at state expense with a Latin hottie who was the "love of his life." That kind of thing goes over well with Southern voters.

March 19, 2013 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  10. Allen

Who the hell watches/listens to Stephen Colbert?

March 19, 2013 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  11. Standford

The crazy is strong in South Carolina, like many other states were the GOP rules with an iron fist. Remember SC was where George W. Bush sabotaged John McCain quickly and ruthlessly with the rumor he was the father of a black child. Just having the D associated with your name can bring death threats, arson and tons of out-of-state money!

March 19, 2013 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  12. tom

What the heck is a Stephen Colbert, and why the heck should I care?

March 19, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  13. ThinkAgain

Best of luck to Elizabeth! She comes from a family of intelligent, engaged folks and would serve South Carolina well.

March 19, 2013 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  14. ThinkAgain

@tom: "What the heck is a Stephen Colbert, and why the heck should I care?"

Stop being so lazy and check him out on the Web!

March 19, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  15. ThinkAgain

@Allen: "Who the hell watches/listens to Stephen Colbert?"

People who enjoy satire and don't mind thinking. Try it sometime!

March 19, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  16. pflatman

tom and allen need to have a little snuggle time together on weeknights, and turn on Stephen Colbert.

March 19, 2013 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  17. Thomas

Why not , the state elected Jim DeMint .

She can't be as dumb wood headed as that guy .

March 19, 2013 11:15 am at 11:15 am |