Stephen Colbert: 'It's my sister and I'm willing to help her'
March 18th, 2013

Stephen Colbert: 'It's my sister and I'm willing to help her'

(CNN) – What does it take for Stephen Colbert to step out of character? A sibling running for office.

Speaking to CNN Chief Washington Correspondent Jake Tapper, Colbert said the South Carolina primary where his sister is a candidate is the first race he's dived into.

"She's my sister, and I'm willing to, you know, break the jewel of my own creation to try to do something for her," Colbert said on CNN's "The Lead." "I'm not worried what it would do to me or my show to try to help her as myself, not as my character, and to help her as myself."

Elizabeth Colbert Busch is running for the U.S. House seat vacated by now-Sen. Tim Scott, a Republican appointed to fill the Senate spot that Jim DeMint left last month. A primary will be held Tuesday ahead of the May special election.

Also seeking the seat in the GOP-leaning district are 16 Republicans, the most recognizable among them being former Gov. Mark Sanford.

Stephen Colbert has campaigned for his sister in the Palmetto State, including holding a fundraiser in a bowling alley.

On his Comedy Central show, Colbert assumes the stance of a right-wing pundit, and rarely drops the façade during interviews or public appearances.

"If people think that's not the right thing for me to do, I don't care," Colbert said. "It's my sister and I'm willing to help her."

Filed under: South Carolina • Stephen Colbert
  1. Jack Kieser

Good on him. Colbert is awesome; the only sad part of this news is that it means HE'S not running for office.

March 18, 2013 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  2. Bobbie

Just what we need...another comedian! The White House is already full of them!!

March 18, 2013 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  3. Kevin in Atlanta

Respect, much respect. Family always first is what I was taught. Win or lose, that's a good brother to have by your side.

March 18, 2013 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  4. Logic N LA

Kuddos to Stephen.

March 18, 2013 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. @Bobbie

Being a comedian is a serious business, especially when it comes to political comedy/satire.

March 18, 2013 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  6. Donna

To Democrats and liberals, government is nothing by a farce and entertainment. Obama has pretty much proved that over the last 4.5 years. Lie, deceive and distract, while the country heads towards bankruptcy at light speed.

March 18, 2013 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  7. Luke Brown

The Colberts are a wonderful family. They have faced far more challenges than most families and it would be completely out of character for one of them not to pitch in and help the others. Elizabeth has proven to be somewhat skilled as a campaigner, and actually has a shot at winning a seat in Congress.

So Stephen, come on down!

March 18, 2013 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. Jane

Elizabeth is an awesome, capable, competent businesswoman. S. C. would be so fortunate to have her represent us!

March 18, 2013 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  9. Old Artillery Man

As a citizen of South Carolina, I hope Elizabeth Busch wins, and wins big. Someone needs to bring sanity to the state.

Mark Sanford, who abandoned the Governor’s office, to hook up with his mistress, is now going around talking about God and second chances. The utter arrogance of this man is beyond belief.

March 18, 2013 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  10. HawaiiWahine

Go Stephen! I hope I speak for the majority of your viewers when I say good for you! It is the right thing to do. Here's to hoping that your sister wins and that you continue with your show. American needs you both.

March 18, 2013 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  11. SC_s

Vote for Elizabeth Colbert, Chucktown

March 18, 2013 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  12. fernace

Family first! I belive it's biblical! And let's face it, repub or demo can use infusion of new people, new ideas, new blood! It's a new millennium, we need New, not the same old, worn out stuff that doesn't work!!

March 18, 2013 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  13. ted

Bobbie, it his sister who is running for office, not Steve. but maybe you didn't read the article for such important details. you just wanted to rant about Obama. figures

March 18, 2013 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. glorydays

It would appear Tapper is using Colbert's popularity to promote himself. Colbert=cool. Tapper, not so much.

March 18, 2013 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  15. KellyinBoston

Ummhhh...Bobbie, the comedian isn't running for office–His sister is. Also, if Ms. Coulbert-Busch were doing comedy, she would be a "comedienne" (feminime form of the noun in English). Just saying.

March 18, 2013 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  16. JacinJax

This doesn't surprise me. The way he handled whatever health problem his mother had showed the man has class and his family comes first. We still don't know what happen. He puts her privacy over his publicity and that tells you a lot about what kind of person he is.

March 18, 2013 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  17. Trevor

I still meet people who think he's Republican. It's kind of sad.

March 18, 2013 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  18. DocHollywood

Congratulations, Steven. You're a good brother to your sister, putting her first and your career second. Perhaps some values are still alive after all. And for those who cannot distinguish tv from reality, the hell with 'em.

March 18, 2013 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  19. Cameron

@Bobbie

At least Colbert is one comedian I'd vote for.

March 18, 2013 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  20. BentleyBooks

Colbert is a mensch. Everybody knows his character is a character; he's only gained more of my respect by helping his sister.

March 18, 2013 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  21. king

Although cobert can seem a little wacky at times on his show, i think he's a very inteligent and logical guy, and if his sister is anything like him, who sees things a logical and pragmatic, and not some stuborn back in the 60s mindframe, she will do good.

March 18, 2013 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  22. RapidOne

Good. Any force against Republicans, who have been so destructive to our country and society with their lies, bigotry, obstruction and hate-mongering, is welcomed. Thank you for yet another thing, Mr. Colbert.

March 18, 2013 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  23. fred murtz

I am on the fence about Colbert. He is too Republican. But I do enjoy his musical guests. So its kind of a 50/50, which hand washes which type of a situation.

March 18, 2013 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  24. socalpimp

If it was for a Democrat then I would support him...

March 18, 2013 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  25. Rogue351

More than likely the ONLY person running for the office for the right reason, to serve. Not to make a million dollars and climb the latter to political corruption. Lets just hope if his sister fails and becomes another one of the contributors to our problems he is as hard on her as he is on the ones currently in office.

March 18, 2013 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |