In Michigan, Granholm says no to Senate bid
March 22nd, 2013
1 year ago

In Michigan, Granholm says no to Senate bid

(CNN) – For those hoping to see the fiery Jennifer Granholm launch a Senate campaign in Michigan, they may be disappointed.

The former Michigan governor announced Friday on Facebook that she won't be seeking the Senate seat to be vacated by her fellow Democrat, longtime Sen. Carl Levin.

"Friends, thanks for all of the encouragement on the Michigan Senate seat, but I'm not going to run. I appreciate all of the outreach I've received; for several reasons it's just not right for us (it's a family decision)," she wrote on Facebook. "My best to all the contenders - Levin's US Senate seat will stay blue!"

Granholm was widely considered a potential contender in the race. As a former two-term governor of the state with a recent stint as a television host on Current TV and a rousing speech at the 2012 Democratic National Convention, Granholm would have entered the race with no shortage of name recognition.

But serving her second term amid the Great Recession, which especially struck Detroit's auto industry, Granholm struggled to maintain popularity and finished out her time with low approval ratings.

She also made headlines in 2011 when she withdrew her name from consideration to head the Democratic National Committee, as then-chairman Tim Kaine considered leaving to run for the U.S. Senate.

Granholm, who was born in Canada, is viewed as someone with desirable political attributes ranging from a strong television presence, an ability to raise money and knowledge of how to manage a large scale operation–skills honed as governor of Michigan.

Other Democrats considering a bid include Debbie Dingell, longtime Democratic activist and wife of veteran Rep. John Dingell, as well as Rep. Gary Peters.

Levin announced earlier this month he would not seek re-election to a seventh term in 2014.

The Washington Post first reported the story.

– CNN Political Director Mark Preston contributed to this report.

Filed under: Carl Levin • Jennifer Granholm • Michigan • Senate
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

I loved her at the DNC convention. She even got my stoic, non political husband to sit down and listen to her speech in amused agreement. No mean feat, that.

March 22, 2013 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. Latherup

Arm raised, giving the impression that true (positive leadership), is but a few inches away. I've got the answers. I've got the insight. I've been given the ability to raise my right arm over my head. Now get out there, and take another bending over for the team. Remember: There's no I, in team. But if you transpose a couple of letters, there's me. ME, ME, ME. God, how I love the camera hogs and future game show host's.

March 22, 2013 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  3. Downtothesleeinslips

Solidarity. Solidarity. Good for me. Not so good if you, yes you want to enhance your future or further your interest. But for me it's just the ticket. Remember: I've got your back if it all blows up. And as long as you are facing the other direction, I'll be able to slip away in the darkness with you holding the bag.

March 22, 2013 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. California Conservative

Granholm is obviously a raving lunatic at best.

March 22, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. Gurgyl

Why no, Jenny–run for senate.

March 22, 2013 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  6. Eoeleven

Many need leadership. This is apparent when the polls open, and Grandfather/grandmother cat food, point that walker toward the booth, take a few deep breaths, close that curtain and pull the lever marked republican. They have a fairly steady diet of pet food, but fail to see who their captors are. They just believe that it's God's will that they are living hand to mouth. They suffer in quiet desperation. Apologies to Pink Floyd.

March 22, 2013 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  7. Donna

===========================

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yeah, the people of Michigan were happy to flush this leftist whack job. Why the heck would they re-hire her? Michigan hired a competent Republican governor instead and the state is making a comeback, after decades of Democrat decay and ruination. Heck, the state even had to take over Detroit because it was such a Democrat disaster zone. I guess all that Obama stash money never arrived like they expected.

March 23, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |