March 22nd, 2013
1 year ago

Obama account retweets Lennon bloody glasses image

(CNN) - The striking image of John Lennon's bloody glasses, tweeted by his widow Yoko Ono on Wednesday, was resent to President Barack Obama's 28 million Twitter followers Thursday as the debate over gun control continues.

The image shows the round lenses splattered with blood and the text: "Over 1,057,000 people have been killed by guns in the USA since John Lennon was shot and killed on 8 Dec 1980."

Lennon was shot by Mark David Chapman outside the New York City apartment building where he and Ono lived.

Ono later tweeted "The death of a loved one is a hollowing experience. After 33 years our son Sean and I still miss him."

Obama's Twitter account is run by Organizing for Action, the political group formed from the president's re-election campaign organization. One of its first major initiatives is promoting Obama's gun control proposals, which were unveiled in the aftermath of December's deadly school massacre in Connecticut.

One of the measures Obama advanced – a ban on assault weapons – was not included in a bill introduced by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid on Thursday. That legislation would expand background checks, improve school safety and restrict gun trafficking.

MORE: Reid formally introduces legislation to combat gun violence

MORE: A call to arms for 'common sense' gun control

COMPLETE COVERAGE: The battle over gun control

Filed under: President Obama
  1. luckjoe

Gee, I wonder when Obama is going to tweet the truth about Benghazi.

March 22, 2013 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. DumbasRocks [R]s

The stupidity displayed by the rightwing comments on here is truly impressive. It almost makes one think that maybe evolution didn't occur afterall.....

Sort of circular logic though.....the idiot being the very evidence that supports the idiot's claims.........

March 22, 2013 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  3. rinfanti

whoa... I though guns were illegal in NY...? Oh wait they are.

March 22, 2013 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  4. Jimmy

Over 4,000 young people (mostly) are killed on motorcycles every year.
    Motorcyle licenses should be restricted to people over 70 years of age.
    Understand me...........not controlled, ..........just restricted...........
    That way you still have your rights to a motorcycle.

March 22, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  5. yo mama

No one wants to take away your damn guns. I wish people would realize that. The only thing we want, to keep everyone safe, is stricter laws prohibiting who gets to get their hands on one. I know you'll say "there are means to get them illegally" yes. That's true. I didn't say it was going to be easy.
    Don't worry, you can still shoot your deer or quail, or intruders or what have you.

March 22, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  6. rs

jane

"AR-15 is NOT a military grade weapon, it is a semi automatic rifle". I would pay cash money to have you sit in a locked room with the parents of those 20 murdered children and explain the semantic differences to them.
    _________________________________
    I am in complete agreement, and THAT is precisely the problem, these pro-gun, pro-death people simply have failed to recognise just what guns are for and in fact living with them awash in our society has consequenses. Maybe when someone they care about is killed they'll figure it out.

March 22, 2013 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. Economystic Extraordinaire

no matter how dramatic it is presented we are nothing without the full power of the second amendment in force. democracy will not survivive without the authority to enforce it. It is like congress passing a bill and not funding it. it does no good without enforcement.

March 22, 2013 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  8. anna

In response to:

(Blah blah the wheel's off your trailer
    Here's the typical gun advocate position...we need guns to defend ourselves from criminals who pose a threat to our safety. Yet, these same gun advocates defent the criminals who kill the helpless and innocent. Pathetic right wing losers.)

March 22, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  9. Adams

Guess she needs to move back to England

March 22, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. cdub2k

Cars have killed at least 10 times more than guns over that same time span. I'm sorry let me rephrase this I almost went brain dead for a second.......

PEOPLE who have driven cars have killed 10 times more people than PEOPLE who used guns to committ murder.over that time span. I almost gave an inaminate object (Cars) all the credit. Only an idiot would do such a thing

March 22, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  11. Dave

An utterly shocking statistic. America, you should be ashamed of yourselves for allowing this to happen.

March 22, 2013 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  12. dajowi

Billions of people have been murdered by and through the actions of politicians...lets ban politicians :)

March 22, 2013 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  13. M. L. M.

"texan

ok, lets flip the coin and be fair here. any one happen to know how many lives guns in the home SAVED in that same time frame? if its at least one, seems worth it too me. but i wear one for work, what would i know."

Ok, I'll play along. Let's see, John Lennon was shot on Dec 8, 1980. I shot and killed an intruder May 1981 while I was still living with my parents. Don't remember the exact date. He had a knife pulled when I walked in on him in our Kitchen. I had a Rifle. He wouldn't lay down and kept advancing toward me. I shot! Thank God Firearms were not banned then or he would have probably cut my throat.

March 22, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  14. John W

Shot in NYC. NYC... There's your problem. Even still today. Awesome place to visit, but would NEVER live there.

March 22, 2013 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  15. Boo

I still miss John Lennon...I can only imagine what his family still feels....it makes me sad.

March 22, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  16. Derrek

As a father of two young girls, I often struggled with my decision to be a gun owner. I always felt anxious and feared that one of my girls would figure out a way to open the safe. I eventually relocated my firearms to my parent’s home. I did this to protect my children from their curiosity. But I am still a gun owner and strongly believe in the second amendment. As a rational human being, I can value both sides of the argument regarding gun control, but what I don’t understand, is the constant impulse by radical right and left wingers. You both spew out erroneous data and actually expect the rest of us to believe your deceptions.

March 22, 2013 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  17. danshaw4

Now the administration is resorting to emotional ploys like this since they realize they don't have any facts to back up their arguments for an assault weapons ban...

March 22, 2013 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  18. Deesnutz

Since both Obama and Ono are sick, i'll fix their tweets. It should say "Over 1,057,000 people have been murderered by murderers since John Lennon was murdered" Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

March 22, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  19. just being logical

at a minimum 1/4 of that number are suicides. If someone wants to kill themselves taking away a gun won't make a difference.

March 22, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  20. Jeremy

1.3 million people killed by automobiles from January 1981 through 2012. That is more than firearms. Let's regulate car sales first.

March 22, 2013 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"That's actually not the typical talking point regarding citizens who are pro gun rights and It's not a defense – it's a belief and a way of life. I have to sit back and laugh at the fact that you call conservatives pathetic losers. I thought the liberals are supposed to be tolerant and understanding; my mistake. When leftist bullies like yourself stop shoving gay rights & anti patriotism down everyone else's throats, when you stop hating people for loving America and what it used to stand for and when you learn to have a healthy debate about current matters (that doesn't involve finger pointing to distract from your own internal struggles with self acceptance) as well as to cease calling people who don't agree with you "pathetic losers" the, MAYBE then someone might actually listen to you. Yeah...the tolerance is overflowing with that one. You must only be tolerant of illegal immigrants, gays and Trayvon Martin."

You win today's prize for grandest, most over-the-top pathological projection screed that ends by ringing the racism bell.

March 22, 2013 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  22. scottyusa

This type of crap reminds me of the anti abortionists trying to shock everyone with pictures of aborted fetuses. Turns me off to their cause.

March 22, 2013 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  23. Steve Allen

Yoko will probably try to claim everyone is stealing her picture and capitilizing on Lennon's death.

March 22, 2013 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  24. Sniffit

"CHina: aprox 100,000,000+
    Germany aprox 13,000,000
    Congo 10,000,000+
    RUssia 8,000,000+
    Turkey 3,000,000+
    Cambodia 2,000,000+
    North Korea 1,600,000+
    USA: aprox 1,000,000

Now ... in USA, those deaths are mostly committed by criminals against other criminals.
    In every other country listed above those were caused by Tyrants slaughtering innocent men women and children by the millions.

This is only in the last 150 or so years.

Now. Explain to me one good reason I should give up my guns using logic other than they scare you."
    ====

You asked for a good reason why YOU should give up YOUR guns and so I will give you one: based on your fantastic fabrication of gun violence data from the "last 150 years or so" in your post, you are clearly, unarguably and blatantly delusional and mentally unfit to own and carry a firearm.

March 22, 2013 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  25. Sniffit

"I'm not sure how far it goes, but a background check is a very nice term to be abused for "Spying" or "Stalking"."

Ha...what a great example of how to create a template for GOP/Teatroll/gun fetishist talking points: "I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm going to talk about it and characterize it anyway."

March 22, 2013 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |