Bachmann's presidential campaign under investigation by congressional ethics panel
March 25th, 2013

Washington (CNN) - Former GOP 2012 presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann's campaign is under investigation by an independent ethics panel on Capitol Hill, according to a statement from an attorney representing Bachmann.

William McGinley, a partner at Patton Boggs, a Washington law firm, released a statement to CNN on Monday confirming a story that first appeared in the Daily Beast that the Office of Congressional Ethics is looking into the Minnesota congresswoman's presidential campaign.

But McGinley insists Bachmann did nothing wrong.

"There are no allegations that the congresswoman engaged in any wrongdoing. We are constructively engaged with the OCE and are confident that at the end of their Review the OCE Board will conclude that Congresswoman Bachmann did not do anything inappropriate," McGinley said in a written statement to CNN.

According to the Daily Beast, several former Bachmann campaign workers are being interviewed about the potential improper transfer of campaign funds. One of those quoted in the article, Peter Waldron, is a former campaign aide who filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission alleging that Bachmann's illegally used money from her political action committee to pay a campaign consultant.

The Office of Congressional Ethics is a separate entity set up in 2008 as a nonpartisan panel to screen potential instances of misconduct by members of the House of Representatives. If OCE decides a matter warrants additional review if can refer it to the House Ethics Committee, which determines whether an official investigation will be launched.

As is the custom, the Office of Congressional Ethics declined to comment on whether it was reviewing any alleged impropriety by Bachmann.

Filed under: House • Michele Bachmann
  1. Libdumb

She has no obligation to answer any question posed by a Communist news network or anyone associated with the criminal Obama administration.

March 26, 2013 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  2. Vince

I hope they don't find anything wrong. If I don't have the things falling out of Bachmann's mouth to laugh at, the work day will just drag on and on.....I'm barely over the Palin being gone.

March 26, 2013 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  3. T

........On Obama's hit list?.................Come on.......just last week Karl Rove chewed on her and you think it's Obama?

March 26, 2013 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  4. Wake up People!

@Rick McDaniel.

Thank you!!! As I found this article still open I thought I wonder if anyone has blamed the POTUS yet?? And there you were......

The GOP has provided me with countless hours of amusement these past five years. They're like herpes, the gift that just keeps on giving........

ROFLMBAO!!!

March 26, 2013 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  5. ellid

I hope this brings her down. She's an evil, lying theocrat who's milked the government for private gain at the same time she's spouted off about small government. The sooner she's out of Congress, the better for her constituents and the country.

March 26, 2013 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  6. rapierpoint

I love all the posts from people that have convicted her already. All this is, at the moment, is that someone said she did it. Now there is an investigation as to whether there is any merit into that allegation.

It may turn out that there wasn't any issue. But I'm guessing that many of the people hear won't care. They hear "X is being investigated on charges" and, in their minds, that means the person is guilty.

March 26, 2013 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  7. texasnotea

Maybe she can just pray the criminal intent away.

March 26, 2013 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. Bill C

To those who hate CNN and keep posting here, You should go back to Fox News and post there! OOPS They don't allow anyone to post comments there!!!!!!!

March 26, 2013 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  9. jboh

She belongs in the funny farm.

March 26, 2013 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  10. embarrasing

If she were in my party, I'd leave that party. I mean, really, if she were my mom, I'd leave the house. If she were my dog, I'd be going to the SPCA to swap her out.

March 26, 2013 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  11. Logic

What is scarier is that people actually voted her into office.

March 26, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  12. Just An Average Guy

She keeps hanging around, like Palin. She's just an indication of how many ignorant people we have in this country.

March 26, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  13. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Considering that the Republicans have shut her out from any leadership position, she has outstayed her welcome. Maybe Roger Ailes will hire her?

March 26, 2013 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  14. Michael

Two points: (1) Hard to hold an ethics investigation against someone that doesn't have any. (2) Bachmann DID do something wrong the very moment she cast her hat in the ring.

March 26, 2013 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  15. Paul

She'll just pray the investigation away with help from her husband and then bill the government for his services.

She's a busy farmwife (look up what subsidies she gets), she doesn't have time to get investigated and definitely didn't have time to misuse campaign funds.

March 26, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  16. Joel

This woman is a scuff mark in American history. Nothing more, nothing less.

March 26, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  17. theregoi

Bachman is a very twisted person. The people who vote for her must be either very gullible or not very bright.

March 26, 2013 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  18. jimbo0117

I sure hope she runs for president again. She is nothing if not entertaining.

March 26, 2013 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  19. Mark

"How dare you bring up an ongoing investigation about ME or questions about something I said at CPAC when soldiers are dying in Afghanistan" The unmitigated gall of the lame stream media. Asking questions and investigating a politician. THE NERVE. Where do they get off?! I am not going to sit here and listen to anyone else bad mouth the United States of America! COME ON GIRLS RIOT!

March 26, 2013 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  20. may40

Ha, all you libs have a field day posting garbage about Palin and Bachmann. Look at idiot Biden spending hundreds of thousands of our money on his 1 or 2 day trips to Europe! How about the Obama's sending off their daughters to the Bahama's for spring break but they just had to fire the Easter Bunny and shut down the WH tours! I could go on and on but I think you get my point. Your Dems are the slimiest on this land and you just continue to give them free passes. My gosh wake the heck up people!!!!

March 26, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  21. sbuler

She is one of the best things to happen to the Democratic party in years.

March 26, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  22. maine liberal

anti-government until it comes to farm subsdidies.

Despite repeatedly asserting that she has never received income from a family farm that drew federal subsidies in the past, Rep. Michele Bachmann again listed the farm as a source of income when she filed her 2010 personal financial disclosures late last week.

Bachmann also reported that the farm had more than doubled in value since 2009.

March 26, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  23. nostrildamus

I loathe Bachmann, but this sounds just as likely to be a simple error rather than anything sinister. All it does is highlight the idiocy of campaign finance law.

March 26, 2013 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  24. Gloria

I am sure Bachmann is not innocent, as her attorney of course claims. I am from MN, I've never voted for this individual, and every time she is up for re-election I pray she won't win. She is a plague to MN as well as to the U.S. Congress!

March 26, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  25. Robert

Well, as many blatant lies as she has perpetrated against people who disagree with her, I would be SHOCKED if they don't find more lies in her campaign administration! This couldn't have happened to a "nicer" person!

March 26, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |