March 25th, 2013

Jim Carrey mocks Charlton Heston

(CNN) – Charlton Heston's declaration that gun control advocates would have to pry his firearms "from my cold, dead hands" provides the punch line for comedian Jim Carrey's new video mocking the late actor and NRA president.

Carrey, who appears on a spoof version of the old comedy show "Hee Haw" both as Heston and as the frontman of a country-western band "Lonesome Earl And The Clutterbusters," is a vocal proponent of stricter gun control laws.

"Charlton Heston movies are no longer in demand, and his immortal soul may lay forever in the sand. The angels wouldn't take him up to heaven like he planned, because they couldn't pry the gun from his cold dead hand," Carrey sings in the video, which was posted Monday on the comedy website Funny or Die.

Heston, who died in 2008, rose to fame as an actor in movies like "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur." Later in life, however, he turned his attention to political advocacy, eventually becoming the president of the National Rifle Association from 1998-2003.

He famously used the line mocked in Carrey's video during a 2000 speech to NRA members, going specifically after then-Vice President Al Gore, who was running for president at the time.

"As we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: 'From my cold, dead hands!" Heston declared.

Carrey starred in movies like "Ace Ventura Pet Detective" and "The Mask." He actively argues his case for gun control on Twitter @JimCarrey.

Carrey said in a statement that he found America's rash of gun violence "frustrating" and the video was "my fun little way of expressing that frustration."

Filed under: Gun rights
  1. Abe Frohman

"Ace Ventura, Pet Detective" and "Dumb and Dumber" versus "Ben Hur" and "The Ten Commandments". That pretty much sums it up.

March 25, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. James Bond

Fun huh?

March 25, 2013 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. Sniffit

Go Jim! I have nothing but disdain for Heston, may he rest in fece.

March 25, 2013 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  4. yanni

Hilarious!

March 25, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  5. John

If only Carey was a good actor, knew what he was talking about or if anyone really cared at all what he thinks. Then maybe somebody would care.

March 25, 2013 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. joey f

hey jim we got it your a douche! now go make some more lame movies that people will only buy in the walmart bargain bin

March 25, 2013 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. Luke

Jim carrey is an idiot.

March 25, 2013 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  8. joey f

how does this guy call himself a comedian, regardless of you point of view on gun control, this just isn't funny at all, is lame attempt at humor, call me when this guy learns how to be creative.

March 25, 2013 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. b0b

Jim Carrey and his girl Jenny Mccarthy are responsible for more child deaths than all of the firearms in the US with their completely asinine anti-vaccination push.

He is a total idiot. She is a moron too. They are irresponsible fools. Ignore them

March 25, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  10. Anonymous

You sugar-coated Mr. Carreys remarks a bit, didn't you? Other media outlets report the profanity laced tweets mocking ALL gun owners and gun rights advocates. I wonder if Mr. Carrey's entourage goes out un-armed? Nah, I doubt it! Mr. Carrey is a typical two-faced Hollywood blow hard. I don't pay much credence to what he has to say.

March 25, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  11. Conrad Shull

A mockery of mocking.

March 25, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. amergin2005

I don't care WHAT his take on Heston and gun control is/was...what a JERK. That's just plain cold-hearted and rude. And now everyone will yell back at me, "freedom of speech." Sure, go right ahead, you have the freedom to be a jerk; I have the freedom to respond that you ARE indeed a confirmed jerk.

March 25, 2013 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  13. Doug from Seattle

What is it about a "Well regulated militia ...." that these people don't understand?

March 25, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  14. James Dean

Exactly, Abe. Jim wins this battle hands down.

March 25, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  15. markntejas

Carrey is just trying to stir up PR because hasn't had a relevant role in a decade

March 25, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  16. craig

good, one of the most hated actors in hollywood, get bashed. deservedly so

March 25, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  17. amergin2005

I couldn't care less about Carey's stance on guns and Heston...what a frickin' rude, cold-hearted jerk. My respect for him – which was never much to begin with – is definitely in the negative numbers. And I'm not part of the NRA, either.

March 25, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  18. Glen Barrington

Way to go Jim! Keepin' that humor current, I see!

Nothing like a skit aimed at young people that uses a long forgotten speech, from an actor young people have never heard ot! I guess you're teaching them history as well as indoctrinating them!

March 25, 2013 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  19. LyndaElaine

Yeah Abe Frohman – sums it up they are all movies and nothing else.

March 25, 2013 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  20. Mike in NH

All in all this just makes Carrey look more ignorant than the character actor his his. Comparing Charleton Heston's movie roles against Ace Ventura Pet Detective. My nephew can contort his face the same way Jim Carrey does; which is to say no big deal.

March 25, 2013 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  21. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Heston was a gifted actor at one time. In his advanced age he had trouble securing decent roles. I suspect his role as head of the NRA was merely an acting job.

March 25, 2013 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  22. Vickie Short

Yep, he's absolutely as intelligent as I assumed he was. No doubt left now.

March 25, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  23. Andrew

Jim Carrey also has a movie that came out last week. Interesting that's not mentioned and instead there are movies from the mid-90's instead. Current events indeed.

March 25, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  24. General Tso

Isn't it enlightening to know what @Sniffitt thinks....thank you, oh Master.

March 25, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |