March 25th, 2013
1 year ago

Jim Carrey mocks Charlton Heston

(CNN) – Charlton Heston's declaration that gun control advocates would have to pry his firearms "from my cold, dead hands" provides the punch line for comedian Jim Carrey's new video mocking the late actor and NRA president.

Carrey, who appears on a spoof version of the old comedy show "Hee Haw" both as Heston and as the frontman of a country-western band "Lonesome Earl And The Clutterbusters," is a vocal proponent of stricter gun control laws.

"Charlton Heston movies are no longer in demand, and his immortal soul may lay forever in the sand. The angels wouldn't take him up to heaven like he planned, because they couldn't pry the gun from his cold dead hand," Carrey sings in the video, which was posted Monday on the comedy website Funny or Die.

Heston, who died in 2008, rose to fame as an actor in movies like "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur." Later in life, however, he turned his attention to political advocacy, eventually becoming the president of the National Rifle Association from 1998-2003.

He famously used the line mocked in Carrey's video during a 2000 speech to NRA members, going specifically after then-Vice President Al Gore, who was running for president at the time.

"As we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: 'From my cold, dead hands!" Heston declared.

Carrey starred in movies like "Ace Ventura Pet Detective" and "The Mask." He actively argues his case for gun control on Twitter @JimCarrey.

Carrey said in a statement that he found America's rash of gun violence "frustrating" and the video was "my fun little way of expressing that frustration."

Filed under: Gun rights
  1. Mike Bockey

Jim Carrey, I have seldom laughed at your jokes or movies. -just not my style I guess. And so it seems you are like anti-gun or at least somewhere along those lines and that's cool, you can feel however you like and even say it in this country. Making fun of Charlton Heston is fine, too. I'm sure if he was still around he'd laugh right along with it. -seems I recall the guy having a good sense of humor. As for what I believe? You wanna come and take my guns? Heh heh heh! -only from my cold dead fingers! I've got a sense of humor, too!

March 26, 2013 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  2. Mark

Jim Carrey = another ill informed celebrity using their status to manipulate the issue in their favor.

March 26, 2013 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  3. M. Hohn

Just who is Jim Carrey anyway?"

March 26, 2013 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  4. Matt

Nobody's coming for your guns! Wake up and start living in reality.

March 26, 2013 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  5. the_dude

Jim Carrey was funny when he had that tv show about cleveland, oh. He hasn't dome much in his career since the tv show.

March 26, 2013 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. Mabel

So many people are commenting that as a Canadian Jim Carrey has no right to comment and should just go back home to Canada. Considering that he was granted US citizenship in 2004 he really does have every right to speak his mind regardless of whether or not we like his message.

March 26, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  7. the_dude

I think jim carrey had a tv show sitcom and then hosted a game show at some point

March 26, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  8. Ernie Zippreplat

Jim Carrey is a pig! Wonder how many people will now refuse to see any of his movies ever again?

March 26, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. Wake up People!

Just wondering.....Did Al Gore pry it from his cold, dead fingers???

March 26, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. jbyrd

talk about a guy whose movies are no longer in demand

March 26, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  11. Conrad Shull

If one were to mock Jim Carrey, how could you tell?

March 26, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  12. Eric

I like how they used Ace Venture and The Mask as examples of the movies he's been in. Trying to make him sound like a washed up, typecast actor when he has been in some really great movies. One of which is in IMDb's top 500 movies for ratings. Oh well, he made a video on a website notorious for edgy humor. Get over it.

March 26, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  13. dave

Hialrious! Jim Carrey is great. I love the Funny or Die skit where he plays Ronald Reagan

March 26, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  14. Brad

It's about time someone stuck it to that cold, dead actor. Way to go CNN, for blasting Jim Carrey.

March 26, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  15. SpeakIt

Gun-nuts. Always wanting to kill something...

March 26, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  16. SuperDave

Its all fun-and-games until you make fun of gun nuts. No one is coming for your precious guns. No one is out there hunting you down. I pity you that you have to spend all your waking hours in so much fear you need a gun by your side. Much like a friend of mine, I can insult his daughter, wife, mother, and any of his family members, but speak ill of his guns??? Then there is outrage. You people are sick.

March 26, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  17. fibserum

Both Heston and Eastwood seemed to believe that playing heros in movies gave them credibility and leadership in the political and social arena. What it gave them was hype and bullcrap. Good for for Carrey!

March 26, 2013 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  18. Jimmie Russells

"Oh the pout-rage! They want to control comedy, but God forbid a crazy person who wants a gun that can cut a kindergartner in half in 3 seconds should be denied one.

Nobody's coming for your guns! Wake up and start living in reality."

Seems like you are the one who isn't living in reality. The United States Army has long complained that the 5.56 cartridge-more potent than the .223 used by Adam Lanza-is underpowered. It's not cutting anything in half, not even your paper-thin argument.

March 26, 2013 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  19. Charlie S

Try approaching Carrey's person or his home I'm sure he has armed security– I don't need a gun I can hire someone to protect me

March 26, 2013 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  20. Bart

I love how conservatives are pretending they don't know who Jim Carey is. Also, love how they bleat on and on about freedom, but the second anyone says anything that they disagree with, they try to silence them. Awesome. Go America!

March 26, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  21. celebsareidiots

Since you've only been a citizen since 2004, I'll view your opinion as that of a nine-year-old's. Grow up.

March 26, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  22. lexie1961

i see so many people saying his opinion doesn't matter because he is a 'washed up has-been'. Would it make a difference if this was coming from Ryan Reynolds or Ryan Gosling – both Canadians at the top of their career?
    I don't think it matters that he is a washed up has-been – I think the point here should be that is he is a Canadian and if you don't like the laws in the US – go home to Canada! I don't think Canadians, be it a celebrity at the top of his game like Gosling or Reynolds or a has-been like Carrey should be preaching to the Americans what they should be doing with theii laws.
    And another thing – when you go home to Canada – let's see how long your career lasts – remember you came to the States because you can't make a living in your craft in Canada!

March 26, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  23. Buddy

I find it frustrating, EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING that we don't tackle the real reason people kill people like this to begin with. Taking that gun from their hands does not remove their desire to kill. It only calms those little liberal heart beats. I do not own a gun, could not care less about them, but I will tell you that we are going about this wrong. Lets say all guns were banned tomorrow. You just made sure that these kids never get the help they need. That is very sad because some if not most will still kill. They will simply do it in a much more destructive way and take even more. Timothy Mcveigh would have never killed 168 people or whatever it was with 20 assault rifles. First of all, he wouldn't have made it into the building in a trench coat to hide them. So keep on believing guns are the problem. The issue is mental health in our country. Liberalism is going to destroy us because it doesn't know when to stop being liberal. You want to protect the kids rights to go to school with normal kids so much so that you don't care that they think about killing my kid in school.

March 26, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  24. Patrick

@ Ernie Zip....People are still watching Mel Gibson's movies. I don't think Jim Carrey has anything to worry about.

March 26, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  25. Andrew

Jim Carey is a Canadian born who like many of his countrymen is afraid of guns. IN Canada, you can't own a gun without a special permit. However, all criminals have them and some of their main cities have more murders per capita then in America.
    One other reason he is afraid of guns is that his acting is so ridiculous that he fears someone who owns a gun may shoot him. Actually, he should feel safe as any gun owner does not care to even listen to his lame acting and jokes. Only young kids would find him somewhat funny.

March 26, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |